Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New classes of antibiotics

1. Dec 6, 2003 #1
    I am being asked to discuss antibiotic resistance for a take-home exam and I was wondering if I am missing any classes of antibiotics. This is what I have:

*The book I am referencing is now going on five years old, so I wanted to know if anything signifigant has popped up. Any thoughts? thanks!
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2003 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

erythromycins (which target the ribosome, like tetracyclins and aminoglycosides)

lincosamindes, clindamycin and lincomycin against anaerobic pathogens

fluroquinolones (related to the older quinolones) are synthetic antibiotics

macrolydes have a macrocyclic lactone chemical structure, antibiotics belonging to this group are erythromycin and clarithyromycin.

Just look up those names I just gave, since I am not entirely sure if they are classes or actual antibiotics.
  4. Dec 7, 2003 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

myxopyronin - DNA-dependent polymerase
    CBR703 (This one is fairly new) - inhibits RNA polymerase http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2003/10/031024064511.htm

In your list you have mention antibiotics that are not class. For example, Penicilin and Cephalosporins are a beta-lactam but both can are sometimes refered to as different classes.

This is a table showing some older antibiotics with their class and the year of discovery

Here a list
  5. Dec 7, 2003 #4

again ather kind of beta-lactam

you better of classing them has eg: beta-lactams (which is there mode of action -- the polygylcan wall..and X-bridge) and then provide examples:

Clavams - and good example is clavulanic acid, which is used in a mixture, in order to combat anti-biotic resistance, say for example against a Zn protase? (think its protase), mechinsm.

Pencillians eg penams

Carbapenems - meropenem

Oxacephems: which are bascily Oxgyen analogues to Cephems (which are cephalosporins)
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2003
  6. Dec 7, 2003 #5
    Thank you everyone for your responses. They are VERY helpful!!!:smile:.
    I think my professor is gonna end up with more info than he wants because of the way he phrased the question, but he usually enjoys reading up on stuff he is not familiar with.
  7. Jul 23, 2011 #6
  8. Jul 23, 2011 #7

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to PF Kopilka and well done! I think you've broken the record for necroposting. As you can see from the date above people's names this thread has not been active for 8 years, the person's studies were completed long ago!
  9. Jul 23, 2011 #8
    Useful information is needed and after 8 years of ago))):smile:
  10. Jul 23, 2011 #9
    wow, people here really know stuff!!! impressive.
  11. Jul 23, 2011 #10
    like can you think of anywhere else where you'd ask a random question like that and actually get answers?!!! from people who seem to know what they're talking about?!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?