Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New coke bottles

1. Mar 29, 2007 #1
    Anyone else notice the new coke bottles sold in 6packs are now 16oz. I think its a good idea to reduce the size of sodas. I LOVE to drink soda dispite the fact that its so bad for you. I just love the taste of the stuff. I can drink a 2 liter in a day, easily if you gave me one. But I think reducing the size to 16oz is much more reasonable than 20oz. That way I dont drink as much soda and I dont throw away food if I dont finish.

I hope all bottles become 16oz, but I doubt it.

They looked exactly the same except the diameter was not as big.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2007 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: You're probably the only one to notice a company is selling you less product for the same price and to be happy about it. :rofl:

I do agree, those 20 oz bottles are just too big and nobody needs that much soda, though 16 oz is still a lot for one bottle. I just don't like that they're going to charge exactly the same amount for it. It's like those 6 oz cans that are just the perfect size for packing with a lunch, but they cost as much as the 12 oz cans.

4. Mar 29, 2007 #3

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, it probably only costs 1 cent or 2, if that, to fill up the rest of a 12 oz. can. :devil:

5. Mar 29, 2007 #4
  6. Mar 29, 2007 #5

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are those coolers?

7. Mar 29, 2007 #6
    No, its a hella lota soda baby.

[​IMG]

My bad, 16.9 oz. I think the bottle actually looks better slimmer than the 20oz bottle.

8. Mar 29, 2007 #7

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I just realized that those things don't even exist!

9. Mar 29, 2007 #8
    Soda, ewww! :yuck: I stopped drinking soda about four years ago (I now drink nothing but water). I had a can of Dr. Pepper last thanksgiving and I had to water it down to even make it drinkable, and my entire mouth felt nasty for the next few days. That stuff is nasty and bad for you!

LMAO! Awesome.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2007
  10. Mar 29, 2007 #9
    "The three-liter didn't fail because it was too big, but because it was not big enough," Coca-Cola CEO Vic Hertner said. "With our new 30-liter size, that won't be a problem. Two liters is nothing. I could urinate two liters for you right now. But 30 liters? That's untouchable."

11. Mar 29, 2007 #10

Mk

Oh my god what? They reduced the size? I'm disappointed personally.

And since when was Diet Coke bad for you? Or Coke for that matter. I only drink diet because I prefer aspertame's taste over sugar actually.

12. Mar 29, 2007 #11
    That's a half liter. Coke must be going metric.

13. Mar 29, 2007 #12
    Makes sense. They have 1L,2L and 20oz. Now its 0.5,1L,2L and 30L.

14. Mar 29, 2007 #13
    How many ounces in 7-11's Super Big Gulp? I remember finishing off that in two hours, then back to the store for its sidekick, the 48-ounce Big Gulp.

15. Mar 29, 2007 #14
    Its 44oz.

You should get a double gulp, 1.9 liters. :rofl:

16. Mar 30, 2007 #15

Mk

Guess you saw the bathroom a few times then eh?

17. Mar 30, 2007 #16
    I buy 1 liter bottles of coke for my breaks at work sometimes :uhh: Sometimes...

EDIT: You've never seen the 500mL bottles before (16.9oz = 500mL)? We've had them forever at our store. I don't like them at all. I like the 20oz or 1 liter bottles.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2007
  18. Mar 30, 2007 #17
    i'm so with 20 Liters, the 2 Liter bottle just vanishes quickly, especially while working on a pc...and i don't want to start smoking until the doctors forbid me to drink soda :)

19. Mar 30, 2007 #18

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When are you lot going to get to grips with the metric system?!

The 500ml size Coke seems to taste the worst. 250ml glass bottles are best, then 330ml cans, then 2 litre bottles. I remember the 3 litre bottles not fitting in a fridge door.

Ahh I love Coke.

20. Mar 30, 2007 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nope, not as far as I know. But then, I really don't like Coke much and drink Pepsi when I have a choice. I'd be happy for them to reduce the size of the bottles, because the 20 oz size is the only size our cafeteria sells, and if I start drinking it, I finish it. :redface: That's just SOOOOOOO much sugar. I can't stand the taste of diet drinks, so would never choose diet Coke. The other thing I've noticed in recent years is that the bottles just don't keep their fizz anymore. You used to be able to open a bottle, pour a glass, close the bottle and stick it back in the fridge and still have fizzy soda for a few days (except that last glassful out of the 2 L bottles, which is always flat). I've tried that with the 20 oz bottles, just pouring out a cup and putting the rest in the fridge for the next day, and it's always flat. It seems that once you break the security seal on it, you can never close it tight enough again to keep the fizz from escaping. :frown:

21. Mar 30, 2007 #20

radou

Homework Helper

The look of the 30L bottle makes me vomit.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?