Probability Distribution List: Find Out If Yours is New

In summary, the conversation involves a person looking for a list of discrete probability distributions and mentioning they may have come up with a new one. They ask for advice on what to do if they cannot find any existing information on their distribution. Another person suggests sharing the distribution and providing a compelling reason to care about it. They also advise against writing a paper on it if there is no significant reason for others to be interested.
TidePowerd
Can anyone point me to a good, comprehensive list of discrete probability distributions? I was working on a hobby problem a while back, and I think I came up with a new one. I ran it by one of my old probability theory teachers, who said that he thought he had seen something like it, but couldn't remember where.

If I can't find it anywhere, should I write a short paper on it? How else could I find out if 'my' distribution has already been worked on before?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you give us the distribution? I don't think people will care if you found a new distribution unless you have a good reason for them to care about. I doubt writing a paper would be a good idea in that case.

1. What is a probability distribution list?

A probability distribution list is a list of all the possible outcomes of an event, along with their corresponding probabilities. It shows the likelihood of each outcome occurring and can be used to make predictions about future events.

2. How do I know if my probability distribution list is new?

If your probability distribution list contains outcomes that have not been previously observed or documented, then it can be considered new. However, it is important to verify your list with other sources and data to ensure its accuracy.

3. What are the key components of a probability distribution list?

The key components of a probability distribution list include the list of possible outcomes, the corresponding probabilities for each outcome, and the total probability (which should equal 1). Some lists may also include additional information such as mean and standard deviation.

4. How is a probability distribution list different from a frequency distribution table?

A probability distribution list shows the likelihood of each outcome occurring, while a frequency distribution table shows the number of times each outcome has occurred. While a probability distribution list can be used to make predictions, a frequency distribution table is used to summarize and visualize data.

5. What are some common probability distributions used in statistics?

Some common probability distributions used in statistics include the normal distribution, binomial distribution, Poisson distribution, and exponential distribution. These distributions are used to model different types of data and can be used to make predictions and analyze data in various fields such as finance, engineering, and social sciences.