Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New Doctor Who tonight

1. Sep 1, 2012 #1
    The next series of Doctor Who airs today. Comes on BBC America 9pm Eastern time. Who's watching?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2012 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am there!

Signing off to watch.

4. Sep 1, 2012 #3
    The new companion wasn't supposed to be introduced for several months. Yet there she was, and nobody spoiled it beforehand. Impressive. How the hell is she going to get out of that situation to be the companion?

5. Sep 3, 2012 #4
    I assume at some point prior to these events, at some point in Oswin's past, The Doctor finds/meets her again in his future. He wouldn't necessarily recognize her as her appearance was that of a Dalek. Might pick up on the voice as I assume her voice over the speakers was her's vs. the Dalek voice when seeing her as the Dalek.

6. Sep 3, 2012 #5
    There must be some significance in her saying to remember her.

7. Sep 3, 2012 #6
    Then why doesn't Oswin remember the Doctor?
    Of course, maybe the Doctor will have regenerated before he meets Oswin. Then, it is possible that they won't remember each other.
    However, even that doesn't work precisely. She looked up the Doctor on the Dalek data base. If she had been a Companion, then she would have remembered being a Companion of some incarnation of the Doctor.
    Thanks to this episode, I will always remember the recipe for souffle.
    1) Eggs.
    2) Stir.
    3) Milk.
    4) Bake.

8. Sep 3, 2012 #7

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There has been a lot of speculation over this. One theory is that the actress who will later play the Doctor's companion is playing a different role here. This has happened before where Freema Agyeman, played Adeola Oshodi in "Army of Ghosts" before later playing Martha Jones.

Evidence for this is that some sources have the new companion's name as being "Clara", and that the Christmas special in which she is supposed to join up with the Doctor takes place in Victorian England.

Of course, considering how well they kept the secret of her appearing the recent episode, this could all be misdirection.

If it turns out that he does meet up with her earlier in her timeline, they will have to be careful not to make it a re-hash of the River Song storyline, with his meeting someone for the first time at their death.

But then knowing Moffat, he's playing the "That's exactly what they are expecting me to do." card, and pull off something completely off the wall.

9. Sep 3, 2012 #8

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It is possible that those memories were excised during her "Dalekfication". Or it could just come down to "Timey Wimey stuff".

10. Sep 3, 2012 #9
    Memory loss was a part of being nanogened into a puppet.

11. Sep 3, 2012 #10

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When she wiped the Doctor from the Dalek hive memory, she would lose the memories also. If she could remember the Doctor, so could the hive.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook