What is the term for thinking out loud in written form?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expression
In summary: I'm just typing out loud here, but I believe ideating refers to ideas that you already know will not work or is wrong somehow, which is not really an expectation, you just don't know yet...Hey, I like that! "I'm only ideating here..." Still, it doesn't convey the fact that this is unique to the "printed word"...hmmmm, which doesn't work well here either... unique to the displayed word.This is only encoded ideation?What's wrong with "I'm just typing out loud"?
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Most people are probably familiar with the expression, "thinking out loud". Well, I do this frequently [though I've learned not to while in front of customers :biggrin:].

I keep wanting to use that expression in regards to a conversation by email, or on the forum, but in these cases I'm typing, not speaking. So what would this be called; thinking in type; thinking in ASCII; ascinking?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Free-associating?

Involuntary typing?

Rambling? (Naw, we're used to that from you...)

But I don't quite mean free association. Often it involves problem solving, but the qualifier is that it may not be a well considered path. Rather, it is one being developed as a function of the conversation, and there could be major pitfalls that will be obvious in short order. At least as I use the expression, this is more or less the reason for warning someone that this is just thinking out loud - don't hold me to this as I've haven't thought this through yet.

But, just for fun in either case...

Danger said:
Rambling? (Naw, we're used to that from you...)

:biggrin: I realize that with age it gets harder for you to keep up. Don't worry about it. We understand. o:)

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
So what would this be called; thinking in type; thinking in ASCII; ascinking?

Drafting ?

Noodling? Riffing? Sorry, but the musical equivalents of playing stuff to see what happens pop to the top for me.

thinking on my keyboard
thinking with my keyboard
typing thoughts
keying my thoughts

ivanating? :shy:

Math Is Hard said:

:rofl:

I usually just refer to it as thinking out loud too, so don't know what else to call it. I guess you could refer to it as brainstorming, which more accurately reflects the process described of tossing out ideas that may or may not help, but get the discussion rolling.

Check out the book "The Meaning of Liff" by Douglas Adams. He makes up words to describe just these situations where the English language doesn't have such a word.

As opposed to "not thinking" out loud?

Math Is Hard said:

Oooooo, I'm a verb! :biggrin:

How about "ideating"? It's already a real word (though rarely used).

Its root is "ideate" which means to form an idea, thought, or imagination.

Hey, I like that! "I'm only ideating here..." Still, it doesn't convey the fact that this is unique to the "printed word"...hmmmm, which doesn't work well here either... unique to the displayed word.

This is only encoded ideation?

What's wrong with "I'm just typing out loud"?

The fact that it is technically inaccurate is dwarfed by the fact that it is
- obvious by extrapolation (without having to explain) what it means
- worth a smirk

Inking out loud.

Suppose that's not useful in terms of e-mails and the likes.

I'm just writing out loud here, but I believe ideating refers to ideas that you already know will not work or is wrong somehow, which is not really an expectation, you just don't know yet...

Ivan Seeking said:
Hey, I like that! "I'm only ideating here..." Still, it doesn't convey the fact that this is unique to the "printed word"...hmmmm, which doesn't work well here either... unique to the displayed word.

This is only encoded ideation?

Here's what you do, you start by using an expression like "ideating in print". After a while, the word "ideating", not being a common usage word to begin with, will become associated with the "printed word" and eventually people will start to consider the "in print" as being redundant and will just drop it. Thus a language evolves.

1. What is the process for creating a new expression or word?

The process for creating a new expression or word varies, but it typically involves identifying a need for a new word or phrase, researching existing terms and their meanings, and then developing a unique term that effectively conveys the desired meaning.

2. How do you know if a new expression or word is needed?

A new expression or word may be needed if there is a gap in language that makes it difficult to accurately describe or communicate a concept or idea. This could be due to changes in society, technology, or cultural shifts that require new terminology.

3. Can anyone create a new expression or word?

Technically, anyone can create a new expression or word. However, it is important to consider factors such as the need for the new term, its potential impact, and whether it aligns with existing language and cultural norms.

4. How can a new expression or word be incorporated into everyday language?

Incorporating a new expression or word into everyday language can be a gradual process. It may start with its use within a specific community or group, and then spread through word of mouth, social media, and mainstream media. Consistent and widespread usage is key for a new term to become part of everyday language.

5. Are there any risks associated with creating a new expression or word?

There can be risks associated with creating a new expression or word, such as it being misunderstood or misused, or causing offense to certain groups of people. It is important to carefully consider the potential impact and implications of a new term before introducing it into language.