New Fiber-optics being installed

• Thread starter Insanity
  • Start date
In summary, the car had a fiber optic network that connected most every safety and electrical system in the car, but due to ghost signals, it was a POS. The car was returned to the dealer "dozens" of times under warranty, and no amount of tinkering/testing and replacing either the fiber or what it was connected to ever fixed the problems.
Insanity
Just learned that the trucks, people and heavy equipment in the community are installing new fiber-optics telecommunication lines. Money from the Federal grant that the local telephone company received is funding it. No idea what the speed will end up being, but suspect faster then 3-4Mb/s that it is currently.

Physics news on Phys.org
Google is installing a 100 Gbps network for us. We won the contest.

Awesome.
I have no idea what ours will be yet, while I knew they received grant money, I did not know what they would going to be doing until today. Gent working outside said he did not know what the cap would be, but it should be quite faster and we'd be happy with. Very few others in the area, if any others, have fiber-optics.

I envy Nippon Telegraph and Telephone with their 171Gb/s per channel over 432 channels, 69.1Tbit/s total I think.

Insanity said:
Just learned that the trucks, people and heavy equipment in the community are installing new fiber-optics telecommunication lines. Money from the Federal grant that the local telephone company received is funding it. No idea what the speed will end up being, but suspect faster then 3-4Mb/s that it is currently.

Insanity,

We are trading in a POS car (brand to remain anonymous) 2006 model tomorrow that had a fiber optic network that connected most every safety and electrical system in the car. They manifacturer called it on the "bleeding edge" at the time it was made. We had many instances of ghost signals on the fiber, causing all kinds of gremlins, like the radio speaker's being automatically muted when not wanted for example. I hope the techonolgy has been perfected since then because in 2006 is was and is to this day a POS. Just my two cents...

Rhody... :grumpy:

The car was returned to the dealer "dozens" that's right, dozens of times under warranty, and no amount of tinkering/testing and replacing either the fiber or what it was connected to ever fixed the problems, enough said.

rhody said:
Insanity,

We are trading in a POS car (brand to remain anonymous) 2006 model tomorrow that had a fiber optic network that connected most every safety and electrical system in the car. They manifacturer called it on the "bleeding edge" at the time it was made. We had many instances of ghost signals on the fiber, causing all kinds of gremlins, like the radio speaker's being automatically muted when not wanted for example. I hope the techonolgy has been perfected since then because in 2006 is was and is to this day a POS. Just my two cents...

Rhody... :grumpy:

The car was returned to the dealer "dozens" that's right, dozens of times under warranty, and no amount of tinkering/testing and replacing either the fiber or what it was connected to ever fixed the problems, enough said.

Any reason to keep the manufacturer and model and year of the vehicle anonymous?

I think fiber-optics in a vehicle is bit much, it not like it has a great distance to send any signal, can't be that much electrical interference from other components. Probably just hype of being able to say it uses fiber-optics.

1. What are fiber optics and how do they work?

Fiber optics are thin strands of glass or plastic that are used to transmit data in the form of light signals. They work by using the principle of total internal reflection, where light is bounced off the walls of the fiber and travels through it without escaping.

2. Why is new fiber-optics being installed?

New fiber-optics are being installed because they offer faster and more reliable data transmission compared to traditional copper wires. They also have the capacity to handle larger amounts of data, making them essential for meeting the growing demand for high-speed internet and other data-heavy applications.

3. How is fiber optics different from traditional copper wires?

Fiber optics are different from traditional copper wires in several ways. They use light instead of electricity to transmit data, which allows for faster and more efficient data transfer. They are also thinner and lighter, making them easier to install and maintain. Additionally, fiber optics are less prone to interference and can transmit data over longer distances.

4. What are the benefits of having fiber-optic internet?

The main benefits of having fiber-optic internet are faster speeds, more reliable connections, and higher bandwidth. This means that users can download and upload data at much higher speeds, experience less lag and buffering, and have the ability to use multiple devices simultaneously without any decrease in performance.

5. How is the installation of fiber optics done?

The installation of fiber optics involves several steps. First, a technician will survey the area to determine the best route for laying the fiber cables. Then, the cables are buried underground or strung on poles. Once the cables are in place, they are connected to a central hub or distribution point. Finally, individual connections are made from the hub to homes or businesses to provide access to the fiber-optic network.