Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New Fit through Fat diet

1. Apr 2, 2005 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

New "Fit through Fat" diet

I think I'd have a hard time staying on a diet like this, how many calories a day would that be? :bugeye:

"what a nutritionist would call a recipe for heart attacks is just what one doctor ordered for Izabela Strepak.

She went from a size 14 to a size 4.

"I guess that's a lot," she says.

She lost a lot by eating a lot - a steady diet of lard, cream and fatty meats. It's a diet she's convinced keeps her lean and healthy.

To eat that much you have to start early. Breakfast would require a four egg-yolk omelet cooked in lard, a side of bacon and sausage, toast bathed in butter - all washed down with a cup of heavy whipping cream. And that's just a third of your fat goal."

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/03/28/eveningnews/main683605.shtml

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2005 #2
    In a few months or years, we'll be hearing how the saturated fat in her diet clogged her arteries to the point of a massive heart attack.

Dieting is a long-term goal, not a get-slim-quick scheme. I'm sure a cholesterol work-up on that woman would reveal the true nature of her diet.

4. Apr 2, 2005 #3

Danger

Gold Member

You're sure that's whipping cream, not buttermilk with Tabasco? :yuck:

5. Apr 2, 2005 #4
    That would be 2250 calories of fat, probably doubled to account for the calories that come from sources other than fat.

6. Apr 2, 2005 #5

Evo

Buttermilk and tabasco sauce. :!!) I guess that's not allowed on this diet though since it's low fat. :frown:

Now I'm REALLY craving an ice cold glass of buttermilk and tabasco sauce, with lots of salt and pepper. YUMMMM!!!! :approve:

I don't drink it though, I eat it with a spoon. :redface:

7. Apr 2, 2005 #6

Evo

That's true. I wonder if the body can't handle that much fat and most is passed through instead of stored? I may have to look that up.

8. Apr 2, 2005 #7

Danger

Gold Member

That does it; I'm not going to kiss you until you brush your teeth and gargle.

9. Apr 2, 2005 #8
    "gag" cooking in lard would kill me.

10. Apr 2, 2005 #9

Danger

Gold Member

It would kill almost anything. That's why boiling in oil was considered torture. :biggrin:

11. Apr 2, 2005 #10

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ohhh but roast potatoes just aren't the same otherwise!

Been eating some fantastic pork scratchings lately. On paper, it shouldn't be good: Pig skin, pig fat, salt. ~50% fat. But in the mouth, oh so good! And it's always a bonus when there's some hairs coming off the skin....

12. Apr 2, 2005 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think if I even ate half that amount of fat, I'd lose weight from the laxative effect! :bugeye: :yuck: That, and it would make me so nauseous, I'd be vomiting the rest.

Though, looking at that woman in the picture, the one who's supposed to be on the diet, I can't tell if it's loose skin from the weight loss on her neck or a goiter...notice near the base of her throat there's a thickening...she may not be losing weight because of the diet, but because of a hyperactive thyroid...the high fat diet may be sustaining her from becoming even more emaciated.

13. Apr 2, 2005 #12
    I'm sure you have hit on the secret to the diet...lol I'd have the same reaction.
    Funny you saw the neck and thought thyroid. I saw the neck and thought diabetes. Either way, the neck does look like something more then just loose skin.

14. Apr 2, 2005 #13

Danger

Gold Member

I saw the neck and thought turkey.

15. Apr 2, 2005 #14
    men ..food and sex is all they ever think about?

16. Apr 2, 2005 #15

Danger

Gold Member

Cars... you, of all people, forgot about cars? :grumpy:

17. Apr 2, 2005 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Pretty much boils down to: if you can't eat it, better ride it. :tongue2:

18. Apr 2, 2005 #17

Danger

Gold Member

Ideally, both. :tongue2:

19. Apr 2, 2005 #18
    If you look at her eyes, you see the folds of skin. She looks very tired.

20. Apr 2, 2005 #19
    Yes one of the draw backs of the low carbs.

21. Apr 2, 2005 #20

Danger

Gold Member

Not to mention restricted rpm's. :rolleyes:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?