New Flying Machine Idea - Is It Possible?

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of using moveable "curved surfaces" instead of traditional wings in flying machines, specifically to employ the Magnus effect. The potential for this design to satisfy a person's desire for adventure is considered, but it is acknowledged that it may not be as effective or cost-efficient as traditional wings. The use of the Magnus effect in airships from the 1930s is also mentioned.
Starwanderer1
This may be a bit weird but please consider my idea..

Flying Machines like the aeroplane work on the principles of aerodynamic lift employing a special wing structure.

What if I make an alteration to this design such that these "wings" are replaced by moveable "curved surfaces" like the cylinder or any derivative of the sphere which can be moved (actually rotated) by varoious means like paddling or using an engine..
Actually I am trying to employ the Magnus effect, (& as I am not looking for huge scale implementation or commercial success) can this machine really fly by rotating these "wings" (or whtever they are) (predetermining the wind direction & thus adjusting the direction of rotation) just so much as to satisfy a poor man's thirst for adventure??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mgb_phys,
Whatever you meant by that last line but I had never seen that icar101 thing & I have no way to prove. But I am happy that my question's answered & as I had thought it can fly (just that it's goin to satisfy much more than a poor man's desire for adventure).

It can work but not as well or as cheaply as a regulr wing.

Starwanderer1 said:
but I had never seen that icar101 thing & I have no way to prove.

The magnus effect (and similar coanda) has been tried as lifting surfaces, there were a bunch of airships in the 30s that used it as an extra lifting device.
Don't know how real the flying car thing is.

ps. Sorry the sig was added for another thread, I was trying to explain what Irony was.

1. What is the new flying machine idea?

The new flying machine idea is a concept for a new type of aircraft that has not yet been built or tested. It may involve new technology or design features that differ from current airplanes.

2. How does the new flying machine work?

The specific workings of the new flying machine would depend on the idea and design being proposed. It could involve new propulsion systems, materials, or flight control mechanisms.

3. Is the new flying machine idea feasible?

Without more information, it is difficult to determine the feasibility of the new flying machine idea. It would depend on various factors such as the technology and resources available, as well as potential safety and regulatory concerns.

4. What are the potential benefits of the new flying machine?

The potential benefits of the new flying machine could include increased efficiency, improved safety, or new capabilities that are not possible with current aircraft. It could also lead to advancements in aviation technology and potentially other industries.

5. Are there any potential challenges or drawbacks to the new flying machine?

Like any new technology, the new flying machine idea may face challenges or drawbacks that need to be addressed. This could include technical limitations, financial obstacles, or safety concerns. Further research and testing would be necessary to fully understand any potential challenges.