Rebranding: The Evolution of Our Science and Technology Community

• Thread starter quantumdude
  • Start date
In summary, Tom proposed returning to the old title, "The Premier Science and Technology Community", while Greg voted to go with "Physics Help and Math Help". However, both votes were rejected because the title does not accurately reflect the content of the forum.

What should be our subtitle?

• Physics Forums - The Premier Science and Technology Community

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • Physics Forums - We do more physics before 9AM than your forum does all day.

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Physics Forums - Our forum can beat up your forum

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Physics Forums - The Next Best Thing to University

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
quantumdude
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
We used to be "The Premier Science and Technology Community", and now we are "Physics Help and Math Help".

I don't like it. No sir, I don't like it at all. It makes it sound like we are all about homework help, which is not accurate. There is some top-level stuff going on here, and I think the forum subtitle should reflect that.

Let's take a vote!

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Tom
I don't like it. No sir, I don't like it at all. It makes it sound like we are all about homework help, which is not accurate. There is some top-level stuff going on here, and I think the forum subtitle should reflect that.

i second that!

Maybe the change is to add keywords to the title to attract more searchers??

Originally posted by tomas
Maybe the change is to add keywords to the title to attract more searchers??

yes, well it's all a matter of who we want to attract and who we don't.

I voted to go back to "The Premier Science and Technology Community". Of course, this doesn't capture the full flavor of the PFs either, but I don't think any subtitle really can.

BTW, the second choice was really funny .

I voted to go back to the old one, too. But I just thought of another one:

Physics Forums - Physics from alpha particles to Z bosons.

Eh, maybe not...

edit: Science Forums has a funny one.

Science Forums - More degrees than dates. LOL

http://www.scienceforums.net

edit: Oops, that's not what theirs is. They have:

Science Forums - The Internet's Best Science Forum!

This means war!

Last edited:
Actually tomas has the right idea. I changed it to become more search engine friendly. The title is extremely powerful in terms of site rank. Our old title didn't yield any useful keywords that people search for. However, if you search for physics help on google, you'll see physics forums on the first page. It's all about picking the right keywords that people search a lot for and has little competition.

didn't this forum originate as a homework help forum?

Greg, has a good point.

But I love the final three, good choice Tom.

Originally posted by Greg Bernhardt
Actually tomas has the right idea. I changed it to become more search engine friendly. The title is extremely powerful in terms of site rank. Our old title didn't yield any useful keywords that people search for. However, if you search for physics help on google, you'll see physics forums on the first page. It's all about picking the right keywords that people search a lot for and has little competition.
Well, actualy I thought science, technology and community
were pretty streightforward. I perosnally support going back
to the old title as well. Also, Tom's proposed title would
definitly not show up in most searches... Not to mention
that Z bosons would sure scare me away...

Live long and prosper.

Originally posted by drag
Well, actualy I thought science, technology and community
were pretty streightforward. I perosnally support going back
to the old title as well. Also, Tom's proposed title would
definitly not show up in most searches... Not to mention
that Z bosons would sure scare me away...
Live long and prosper.

Sure people search a lot for science, technology and community, but at the same time 50,000 other websites are targeting those keywords, so it gives us little chance. I must say I love Toms's titles from the creative side though.

Greg: Can't you cheat a little? If you include another slogan on the actual graphics of the Logo, then it would appear but not be logged by the search engine.

if there were a fight, and physicsforums did try to beat up, say, sciforums, then what side do you fight for if you re a regular poster at both!?

i think they outnumber us at sciforums. you guys probably need me more.

it s going to be a brawl!

Fighting is the last resort of the stupid or the needy.
We are niether.

Maybe you should visit your local sports club or something
and let it out of your system. :wink:

Peace and long life.

Originally posted by FZ+
Greg: Can't you cheat a little? If you include another slogan on the actual graphics of the Logo, then it would appear but not be logged by the search engine.

I'm bringing this topic back from the dead. Propose a clever slogan for PF and it'll be included in a new logo I'm making. I'll pick the ones I like best and then create a poll.

1. What is the purpose of the "New Forum Subtitle"?

The purpose of the "New Forum Subtitle" is to provide a brief and descriptive summary of the forum topic or theme. It helps users to quickly understand what the forum is about and what type of discussions can be expected.

2. How can I change the "New Forum Subtitle"?

The "New Forum Subtitle" can typically be changed in the forum settings or by the forum administrator. You may need to have certain permissions to make changes to the subtitle.

3. Is the "New Forum Subtitle" necessary?

While it is not always necessary, having a "New Forum Subtitle" can improve the user experience and make it easier for members to navigate the forum. It also helps to attract potential members who are interested in the forum's topic.

4. Can the "New Forum Subtitle" be customized?

Yes, the "New Forum Subtitle" can usually be customized to fit the preferences of the forum administrator. This may include changing the font, color, or size of the subtitle to make it more visually appealing.

5. How long should the "New Forum Subtitle" be?

The ideal length of the "New Forum Subtitle" may vary depending on the forum platform and design. Generally, it should be short and concise, no more than a few sentences, to effectively convey the purpose of the forum.