Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New Game of Thrones!

1. Mar 30, 2013 #1

Rolen

Gold Member

So, thrones is coming tomorrow night. Anyone excited about that?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2013 #2
    I would be if I still had cable, anyone have a spare spot in their living room I could borrow?

4. Mar 31, 2013 #3
    I have yet to get into this series. Soon though! Maybe I should read the books first?

5. Mar 31, 2013 #4

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

The series has been quite loyal to the books so far. The books are good but I found them hard going. Last year I read the first 5 but sort of gave up. I intend to go back to them at some point, maybe this new Tv series will prompt me. I won't spoil anything but with the books the hardest thing I found was that story arcs would end very suddenly and often in unsatisfactory ways, at the same time new ones would pop up from nowhere and it would be hard to care about the new ones. This was especially true when these new arcs also dropped flat.

6. Mar 31, 2013 #5

Dotini

Gold Member

The five books so far published (in the mooted series of seven) average 838 pages each. So it's a daunting task to read them all. Being retired, I raced through them once to satisfy my curiosity about the general plot and what happens to my favorite characters, then reread them more slowly to more thoroughly enjoy Martin's storytelling abilities, and to spot clues and foreshadowings scattered throughout. I'd say if you have enjoyed Dickens or Proust in the past, you would be right at home with GRRM.

The first two seasons of the HBO production are available on Xfinity on Demand, or DVD. To jump cold right into tonight's first episode of the 3rd season could be a little confusing. Previewing critics are saying it keeps on getting better. For a series of epic fantasy novels that has sold maybe 15,000,000, and a runaway cable TV phenomenon that is entrancing so many more, your entertainment ticket is well and truly punched with A Song of Ice and Fire.

Respectfully submitted,
    Steve

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  7. Apr 1, 2013 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

"A Feast for Crows", in particular, was a loong slog. "A Dance with Dragons", fortunately, was much better.

8. Apr 1, 2013 #7

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

I've just started DWD after not reading the series for nearly a year. I'd said above I've read 5 but I'm mistaken. I'm having to read with a wiki open to remember who some of the characters and places are :tongue2:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook