New google search layout

1. May 5, 2010 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2010 #2
    Definitely agree with you here... I don't like this new layout at all... It's like they are trying to steal the layout from Bing or whatever.

4. May 5, 2010 #3

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Probably becoming irrelevant most browsers search google form the address bar - I just checked and google.com wasn't even in my 30day cache

5. May 5, 2010 #4
    It still takes you to the google results page. You don't need to go to google.com in order to reach the results page.

6. May 5, 2010 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Just another way to expand their marketing.

I don't like it.

7. May 5, 2010 #6
    I should have probably added a poll. Oh well.

8. May 5, 2010 #7
    Ask Evo, I'm sure she can set it up in this post for you.

9. May 5, 2010 #8
    I'm not sure what's different about it. Is the change to the iGoogle layout? I couldn't stand iGoogle to begin with.

10. May 5, 2010 #9

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Tell me what poll options you want.

11. May 5, 2010 #10

cronxeh

Gold Member

Its really.. really.. REALLY effing annoying. I am contemplating using another search engine from now on

12. May 5, 2010 #11
    I have google open right now. I don't see the difference. What is it? Only iGoogle?

13. May 5, 2010 #12

cronxeh

Gold Member

Search for something. The search results page has a bar on left side with various useless crap.

BUT fear not, fellow PFers! As was posted on google forums, there is an easy solution to this

http://www.google.com/m

Use Google Mobile!

14. May 5, 2010 #13
    Ok, oddly enough, google search has reverted back to its normal layout for me. Maybe they got a lot of negative feedback?

I'll hold off on suggesting a poll until they make up their mind on what to do

15. May 5, 2010 #14
    Clear your cache and cookies.

16. May 6, 2010 #15
    The earlier user interface was too good, I guess they decided to screw it.

17. May 6, 2010 #16
    I did. And didn't see it. Just cleared my cache and everything. Still nothing out of the ordinary. There seems to be an empty space on the left. I am unsure if that space was always there.

18. May 6, 2010 #17

cronxeh

Gold Member

Oddly enough my mac does not see the updated version, I have Firefox browser here. Maybe it only affects Internet Explorer (to make them see no difference between google and bing)

I've attached what the new layout looks like. I must warn you, the images may disturb you.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  19. May 6, 2010 #18
    What are you doing using IE? I'm using Firefox and Opera. Doesn't show up on either of them for me.

edit: never mind, I just checked again and it does now.

20. May 6, 2010 #19

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A couple of classics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUXnJraKM3k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwqPYeTSYng

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?