Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New 'guru's?

1. Feb 24, 2005 #1
    I noticed that some people have the title guru for maths physics etc..

Just out of curiosity, when will it be time to choose one for 2005?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

At the end of the year...It's a ceremony,a volcano (preferably activ),nice stuff...:tongue2:

And the super mentors+admins get to choose the NOMINEES.Then a short campaign follows and then the vote itself,which,fortunately,is kept secret to the non-staff members...

Daniel.

P.S.What section would you like to be nominated for...?

4. Feb 24, 2005 #3
    thanks dex.

And by no means do i want to be nominated.. :blushing: i was just curious about how it goes..

5. Feb 24, 2005 #4
    How would one become a 'science advisor'? With voting or something else?

6. Feb 24, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes,super mentors are "held responsible" over that,too...:wink:

And of course,Greg & Warren need to agree.

Daniel.

7. Feb 24, 2005 #6

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Credentials and experience in a particular subject or subjects, along with participation in providing useful and accurate information in the various forums.

8. Feb 24, 2005 #7

Evo

The mentors nominate members that have a history of making accurate, knowledgeable and helpful posts.

The final decision is Greg's.

9. Feb 24, 2005 #8
    titles can be bought and sold though. this is America afterall. I've got a slightly used pink ribbon for sale on ebay if you are interested.

10. Feb 24, 2005 #9

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nope,it won't do.I'm interested in the genuine...:wink: :devil:

Daniel.

11. Feb 24, 2005 #10

Evo

Oh, except for funniest member. :biggrin:

12. Feb 24, 2005 #11

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As Evo said.

The way it generally works is that when a mentor observes a history of sound physical knowledge displayed by a member we submit his name to the rest of the mentors along with a link to a representative post and a request to review his other posts. If the candidate receives support from the rest of the team then Greg or Warren will do the software tricks necessary for the ribbons to appear.

We are considering establishing more guidelines, including; time as a membered; number of posts (this is not as significant as the post content); and attitude. In the future we may deny ribbons to members who do not have the ability to respond civilly to stupid questions even though they show a command of physics.

This advisor thing is a relatively new feature and we are learning as we go. If you feel that you are deserving please continue to post quality help and be patient.

If you are new to the forum, we feel that if there is advisors and non advisors in disagreement on a topic the advisor is more likely to be representing the current state of knowledge.

13. Feb 24, 2005 #12
    Thanks for all the explanation, members/mentors of PF.

Its more than i wanted to know

14. Feb 24, 2005 #13

Evo

Over informing is what we do best. :biggrin:

15. Feb 24, 2005 #14
    lol..

Hope its not a bad thing though for your sake...

Last edited: Feb 24, 2005
  16. Feb 25, 2005 #15
    are the titles only for the pf contributers or is it open for everybody?

again, what about those forums which do not have mentors, like 'brain teasers', can somebody be nominated for just those too. i mean "brain teaser guru"......

17. Feb 25, 2005 #16

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No,ribbons and awards are for all non-staff members,whether contributers or not.As for staff membership,yes,i think contribuing with money to the welfare of these forums is a requirement.

As for unmoderated forums,any staff member can do whatever he pleases with any message from there.As for "brain teaser guru"...I think there's not enough interest in that forum,as to reward somebody for caring about it...

Daniel.

18. Feb 25, 2005 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Correct, there are people with ribbons and medals who are not contributors. I don't know if it influences decisions about choosing mentors. Since Greg would want people who have shown they are dedicated and planning to stay around for a while, contributorship may factor in somewhat, but you don't get to buy your way to the top, you definitely need to show you know what you are doing.

19. Feb 25, 2005 #18
    Isn't it the opposite - don't they get paid? :confused:

20. Feb 25, 2005 #19
    If you donate one of this to the site, then maybe just maybe you will get to have one of the highly coveted ribbons.

21. Feb 25, 2005 #20

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What do you mean...?Does Greg have a company & the supermentors as employees...?
    I doubt it...

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?