Introducing a New Scientist: Age, Background, and Interests

• Thread starter piccini9
  • Start date
In summary, Peter found this pace forum and is looking for information on dark matter and dark energy. He found conflicting information and is looking for a physicist to help him understand it.
piccini9
Hello all, just found this pace.
I have no idea what most of you are talking about, but I find this stuff fascinating.
Will search the basic math forum for a good starting point before I start asking a bunch of dumbass questions.
Just so you know, I'm 45years old, have very limited computer skills, have worked as a carpenter on and off since High School where I took Algebra I four years in a row.
Mostly though, I am a painter and sculptor.

If this is mis-placed, sorry about that.

Peter.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF! I hope you find lots of interesting things to learn about here. And never think any of your questions are dumb, we have members at all levels of learning.

Well I hope your experience of this site will be better than mine. There are people out there who will jump on you for anything you say that they can pick a hole in.

Hi Peter, welcome aboard.

I found my way here through a search for info on dark matter, or dark energy.
Been seeing a lot of contradictory info on the subject, (all in layman's terms mind you) as it seems to be something that people like to talk about whether they understand it or not.
Figured that actual physicists might be the people to ask.
I'll lurk for a while to see if I can even formulate a sensible question.
Thanks for the welcome.Oh, I got a warning on my first post. Is that some kind of record?

Last edited:
piccini9 said:
Oh, I got a warning on my first post. Is that some kind of record?

Well, CONGRATULATIONS! :biggrin: What's your favorite fish? :devil:

Just read the rules, realized that all the banned topics, (conspiracy kook stuff) from "Planet X" on down, are things I have ben forced to listen to at work for the last year or so.
This place is a welcome respite from the crazy.

Tsu, Millenium Hand and Shrimp.

Welcome, piccini9!

Do you enjoy long walks on the beach, and candlelit dinners?

piccini9 said:
... Tsu, Millenium Hand and Shrimp.

Tsu, I can imagine you slapping him with that :rofl:

Welcom to PF piccini9 :smile:

I might be a willing audience to witness someone getting whacked with a shrimp. :wink:

Welcome, piccini9.

drizzle said:
Tsu, I can imagine you slapping him with that :rofl:

Welcom to PF piccini9 :smile:

Yeah, we're going to have to get creative with this one. :biggrin:

OK. It's all set up. I've got Foul Ole Ron on the way with some Bugrit to go with his hand and shrimp. He will welcome our newbie for us! :biggrin:

piccini9 said:
Oh, I got a warning on my first post. Is that some kind of record?
I believe that it was. The mentor just meant to give you a heads up that they were moving your post and used the warning system to do it. :bugeye:

Welcome to the forum! I see Tsu has arranged your initiation. :tongue2:

Well?

Over at the Underground Terrorist Motorcycle Cult they just demand a pinky.
Right hand or left, doesn't matter, but this, this is inhumane, the suspense is killing me.:grumpy:

piccini9 said:
Well?

Right hand or left, doesn't matter, but this, this is inhumane, the suspense is killing me.:grumpy:
Looks like I'm going to have to do the ceremony.

Consider yourself fish slapped.

fishslaprk7.gif

Last edited:
piccini9 said:
Well?

That's how we welcome new PFers... By slapping them with a fish of their own choice :tongue:
Hope you handle Evo's slaps! She's the head of PF sisterhood... And has a strong arm too :biggrin:

Why thank you. I'll take a fish-slapping from the Lady of Shallott any day.
I'm glad it wasn't Weasel Stomping Day.

What is your name?

My name is [insert name here].

What is your educational background?

I have a degree in [insert field of study] from [insert university/college name].

What experience do you have in this field?

I have been working in this field for [insert number of years] years and have experience in [insert specific areas of expertise].

What made you interested in this field of science?

I have always been fascinated by [insert area of interest] and wanted to pursue a career in this field to further expand my knowledge and contribute to advancements in this area.

What are your goals as a scientist?

My goal as a scientist is to conduct innovative research, publish my findings, and collaborate with other experts in the field to make meaningful contributions to scientific knowledge.