Help Jeremy Get 3 A Levels & Get a Gmail Invite

• Thread starter Tau
  • Start date
In summary, Jeremy is a network administrator from Trinidad who is pursuing a degree in Physics after going through a difficult divorce. He needs to complete 3 A levels in Mathematics, Physics, and Further Mathematics, and is seeking help from others. He also has 10 gmail invites to give away. Marlon offers to help with factorizing x^2-9 and explains a sign chart. Jeremy asks for clarification on the sign chart and Leon provides an explanation on how to find the inverse function to show that a given function can take on all real values.
Tau
Hello everyone.
I am Jeremy and I hail from Trinidad. I am in my mid thirtys and currently a network administrator for a shipping firm (import/exports).

After passing through one hell of a divorce I decided to pursue my degree in Physics. I was a math geek back in seconday school and had a knack for Physics so getting this degree should prove to rekindle an old flame.

The first step in this long journey is to get 3 A levels (University of Cambridge Advance Levels). The three A levels I have to get are as follows: Mathematics, Physics and Futher Mathematics. I am now self studying the first two.

I need your help to enable me achieve my goal. I can do most of the work myself but there are some things that escape my understanding. Thus, whatever input you guys can give me is well appreciated.

(This is an A level question; I did not know weather I should have placed this post in the College section or if A levels and grade 12 are at the same skill level- please forgive me if I posted this in the wrong place)

Here is a problem that I couldn't figure out:

Provided that x is real, prove that the function [2(3x+1)]/[3(A-9)]
can take all real values. (A = x squared)

Again, thank you for your help and support.

Jeremy

Oh yeah I have 10 gmail invites to give away. Just ask and I will email it to you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you factor

[tex]x^2-9[/tex]

?

Just make a sign chart of each term of this function and multiply the signs. beware that x =3 and -3 will yield infinities

marlon

I can factorize the difference of 2 squares.

What is a sign chart?

Tau said:
What is a sign chart?
I am sure you know this...

suppose you have y = 2x - 2

for x = 1, y = 0

Since the slope 2 is positive this function rises as x rises so this implies

1) x < 1 => y < 0

2)x > 1 => y > 0

That is a sign chart...Just do this for each term after having factorized the x² term

marlon

You can show that this function takes on any value by showing that there exists some value of x that results in each value of of the function(call it y). This can be done by finding the inverse function:
[tex]y = \frac{2(3x+1)}{3(x^2 - 9)}[/tex]
[tex]3yx^2-27y = 6x+3[/tex]
[tex]3yx^2 - 6x -27y -3 = 0[/tex]
and by the quadratic formula:
[tex]x = \frac{6 +/- \sqrt{36 + 322y^2 +36y}}{6y}[/tex]
This inverse function(s) is defined for all real values of y, except 0, so there must be at least one value of x that yields every real value of y, except, possibly, 0. However, x=-1/3 gives 0 for the function, so that completes all real values.

By the way, if you want to know how to write equations, look at this https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
the satisfaction that one gets when he finally knows the solution to a complex problem.

Thanks Leon

Last edited:
The satisfaction of having solved it yourself is even greater!

What is "Help Jeremy Get 3 A Levels & Get a Gmail Invite" about?

"Help Jeremy Get 3 A Levels & Get a Gmail Invite" is a campaign to help Jeremy, a student who needs assistance in achieving 3 A Levels in order to receive a Gmail invite.

Why does Jeremy need help getting 3 A Levels?

Jeremy needs 3 A Levels in order to qualify for a Gmail invite, which is a prestigious email service. This campaign aims to help him achieve this goal by providing resources and support.

How can I help Jeremy get 3 A Levels?

You can help Jeremy by sharing this campaign with others, providing study materials or tutoring services, or by offering advice and support to help him achieve his academic goals. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

What are A Levels?

A Levels are advanced level qualifications that students in the United Kingdom, Singapore, and other countries take in order to gain entry into universities. They are typically taken after completing high school and are equivalent to the first year of college courses.

Why is obtaining a Gmail invite important for Jeremy?

Gmail invites are highly sought after and are considered a symbol of academic achievement. For Jeremy, receiving a Gmail invite would not only mean access to a prestigious email service, but also recognition of his hard work and dedication in obtaining 3 A Levels.