New guy with a question about a car (with velocity v) and a highway

In summary, the student is trying to justify using the force at an angle in order to solve a problem. The student has attached a paper to their teacher explaining their reasoning, but the teacher is not accepting it. The student needs help to solve the problem on their test.
Mitchell Arnott
Hi all here is the question I need to justify. Please see the attached file with the question.
I would simply like to use the formula (theta)=tan(^-1)[(v^2)/gr] to solve the angle. This gives the correct answer. Now my teacher however solves it using a different vector method and says in order for me to use this in the exam I will need to provide proof that this is an acceptable solution. I have found some stuff online that says; for any object moving at constant velocity on a horizontal surface the centripetal force will be the same as the force of friction. What else can I say to justify this? (My teacher is very stubborn).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-12-14 at 2.38.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-12-14 at 2.38.25 PM.png
    13.7 KB · Views: 399
Physics news on Phys.org
I moved the thread to the homework forums, as the problem is homework-like.
Mitchell Arnott said:
for any object moving at constant velocity on a horizontal surface the centripetal force will be the same as the force of friction. What else can I say to justify this?
Where is the relation between this statement and the formula you got?
That is the point you have to show.
There is no friction in your problem.

Last edited:
Likes Mitchell Arnott
mfb said:
and the surface is not horizontal.

Likes Mitchell Arnott
mfb said:
I moved the thread to the homework forums, as the problem is homework-like.
Where is the relation between this statement and the formula you got?
That is the point you have to show.

Yes I agree there is no friction. This I believe is given in the problem itself.
I spoke to the head of the physics department and he basically told me to envision the highway curve as a bowl with the same angle throughout.
I have attached a paper that I wrote to my teacher trying to explain my reasoning for solving the problem as follows and he would not accept it.
I am unsure how to justify using the force at an angle viewing onto the curvature of the highway as a real life solution.
I do not see how it is possible to explain. In fact when I think about it I do not fully comprehend it.
This being that when the head of the department questioned me thoroughly about it I could not answer all of his questions although I thought I understood the material...
It seems I do not. Can someone help me? My test is on wednesday night and I would really like to be able to solve this problem.

Attachments

• IMG_1174.JPG
    IMG_1174.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 378
haruspex said:
and the surface is not horizontal.
Agreed please see my response below and see if you can comment some help.

Mitchell Arnott said:
Yes I agree there is no friction. This I believe is given in the problem itself.
I spoke to the head of the physics department and he basically told me to envision the highway curve as a bowl with the same angle throughout.
I have attached a paper that I wrote to my teacher trying to explain my reasoning for solving the problem as follows and he would not accept it.
I am unsure how to justify using the force at an angle viewing onto the curvature of the highway as a real life solution.
I do not see how it is possible to explain. In fact when I think about it I do not fully comprehend it.
This being that when the head of the department questioned me thoroughly about it I could not answer all of his questions although I thought I understood the material...
It seems I do not. Can someone help me? My test is on wednesday night and I would really like to be able to solve this problem.
The attachment is rather hard to read, and the logic flow unclear. You don't need all that verbiage, just a few comments to provide the basis of your equations and the manipulations.
Explaining what you are doing, write out the ##\Sigma F=ma## equations, as they apply to this problem, in each of the horizontal and vertical directions. Then solve.

I use force equals mass times acceleration wouldn't I be just using trigonometry to calculate the angle of the triangles using The horizontal and vertical components? I see what you're saying that the acceleration is gravity . I will try to formulate a paper with those equations soon .

Have you drawn a free body diagram of the car yet and shown the forces acting on it? This should be your first step. So please articulate what the forces are that are acting on the car.

1. What is the relationship between velocity and distance traveled on a highway?

The distance traveled on a highway is directly proportional to the velocity of the car. This means that as the velocity of the car increases, the distance traveled also increases.

2. How does the velocity of a car affect fuel efficiency on a highway?

The velocity of a car has a significant impact on fuel efficiency on a highway. As the velocity increases, the fuel consumption also increases due to increased air resistance. Therefore, higher velocities result in lower fuel efficiency.

3. What role does friction play in a car's velocity on a highway?

Friction plays a crucial role in a car's velocity on a highway. Friction between the tires and the road surface helps to propel the car forward. However, too much friction can also slow down the car and decrease its velocity.

4. How does the weight of a car impact its velocity on a highway?

The weight of a car has a direct impact on its velocity on a highway. A heavier car requires more energy to accelerate and maintain a certain velocity, resulting in a lower maximum velocity compared to a lighter car.

5. What factors can affect the velocity of a car on a highway other than the car's design?

Other than the car's design, external factors such as wind speed, road conditions, and traffic can significantly impact a car's velocity on a highway. These factors can either increase or decrease the car's velocity, depending on their direction and intensity.