Setup Multiple HDs: Newbie Guide to Installing FreeBSD & Slackware

• Thread starter franznietzsche
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drive Hard
In summary: But it doesn't seem to be working that way.In summary, I just got a second hard drive so that i could install FreeBSD and slackware onto it for my computer. I just want to set the system up so that it will basically startup with grub bootloader, and then let me pick which OS to boot from, listing them from either drive. This is my first system with multiple hard drives, so my question is simply, how do I've managed to set everything up, almost. I'm having trouble booting up slackware on the second drive, all the other OSs boot up fine, including FreeBSD on the same drive as
franznietzsche
I just got a second hard drive so that i could install FreeBSD and slackware onto it for my computer. (got it because i was out of partitions on the first drive).

The first drive is a serial ATA WD drive, the second drive is an IDE WD drive. I just want to set the system up so that it will basically startup with grub bootloader, and then let me pick which OS to boot from, listing them from either drive.

This is my first system with multiple hard drives, so my question is simply, how do i do this?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Well I've managed to set everything up, almost.

I'm having trouble booting up slackware on the second drive, all the other OSs boot up fine, including FreeBSD on the same drive as slackware. THe problem is i don't know how to set grub.conf for slackware.

First drive: SATA, /dev/sda1 = WinXP
/dev/sda2 = /boot (fedora)
/dev/sda3 = / (fedora)
/dev/sda5 = swap
/dev/sda6 = /home

Second Drive: IDE /dev/hdb1 = FreeBSD
/dev/hdb2 = / (Slackware)
/dev/hdb4 = /home (slackware)
/dev/hdb5 = /boot (slackware
/dev/hdb6 = swap (slacware)

I have grub installed on the MBR of the IDE disk, which is set to slave (the SATA disk does not have master/slave settings, it autoselects, i think)

I can boot into WinXP, FreeBSD, and Fedora all fine. However i cannot boot into slackware for some reason, and i can't seem to get the settings in /boot/grub/grub.conf (on fedora's partition) correct to boot into it.

vmlinuz-ide-2.4.29 is the kernel for slack in /boot (slackware) (i have all the slack ware partitions mounted in fedora under /slack/, so i can access them, i just can't seem to boot slack)

So my question is simply, what should i have in grub.conf to get slackware to boot correctly?

I would think the slackware entry should be like this:

title=Slackware
root (hd1,4)
kernel (hd1,4)/{kernel-name} root=/dev/hdb2

1. What is the purpose of setting up multiple HDs?

Setting up multiple HDs allows for better organization and storage of data. It also allows for the possibility of having different operating systems on separate drives.

2. Can I use different types of hard drives for this setup?

Yes, you can use different types of hard drives such as SSDs and HDDs for this setup. However, it is recommended to use the same type of hard drive for all drives to ensure compatibility.

3. How do I physically install multiple hard drives?

To physically install multiple hard drives, you will need to open your computer case and connect the drives to the motherboard using SATA cables. You may also need to adjust some jumpers or settings on the drives to ensure they are recognized by the system.

4. Do I need to partition the drives before installing the operating systems?

Yes, you will need to partition the drives before installing the operating systems. This can be done using a partitioning tool such as GParted or Disk Management in Windows.

5. Can I access data from one drive while using another?

Yes, you can access data from one drive while using another. However, the drives must be properly mounted and configured in the operating system to be able to access their data.