Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New hardware

1. Oct 17, 2004 #1
    I just purchased some new pieces of hardware for my computer from TigerDirect.com. I bought this: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=171736&Sku=P67-1086
    , a dvd burner, a 160 gig hard drive, and windows xp (I currently have ME).
    My computer only has 512 MB of RAM, and a Pentium 3 933 MHz processor, do you think that this will suffice with editing video? I know that it will be slow, but will it work?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2004 #2

Staff: Mentor

Using that capture device, the cpu shouldn't be a problem unless you re-encode in another format after capturing the video. You should be fine.

Watch your memory usage though - you're cutting it a little close with XP. It'll depend on the software.
  4. Oct 18, 2004 #3
    just dont try and do divx 4 coding..
  5. Oct 19, 2004 #4
    Why not try to do divx 4 coding? Sorry, I don't really know too much about computers.
  6. Oct 19, 2004 #5
    it is pretty much optimized for a P4 2.4GHz and higher.
  7. Oct 22, 2004 #6
    so should I use divx 3?
  8. Oct 22, 2004 #7
    I want the best quality possible. Sould I use an s video cable as oposed to composit?
  9. Oct 22, 2004 #8
    if you want the best possible, look into selling the old P3 rig, and look into buying a Hyper Threading P4 system
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?