Upgrading My Computer: New Hardware from TigerDirect.com

• Thread starter Krazie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hardware
In summary, the person purchased new hardware for their computer from TigerDirect.com, including a DVD burner, 160 gig hard drive, and Windows XP (upgrading from ME). They have a Pentium 3 933 MHz processor and 512 MB of RAM, and are wondering if this will suffice for video editing. Another person advises them to watch their memory usage and suggests selling the old system for a Hyper Threading P4 system for optimal quality.
Krazie
I just purchased some new pieces of hardware for my computer from TigerDirect.com. I bought this: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=171736&Sku=P67-1086
, a dvd burner, a 160 gig hard drive, and windows xp (I currently have ME).
My computer only has 512 MB of RAM, and a Pentium 3 933 MHz processor, do you think that this will suffice with editing video? I know that it will be slow, but will it work?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Using that capture device, the cpu shouldn't be a problem unless you re-encode in another format after capturing the video. You should be fine.

Watch your memory usage though - you're cutting it a little close with XP. It'll depend on the software.

Krazie said:
I just purchased some new pieces of hardware for my computer from TigerDirect.com. I bought this: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=171736&Sku=P67-1086
, a dvd burner, a 160 gig hard drive, and windows xp (I currently have ME).
My computer only has 512 MB of RAM, and a Pentium 3 933 MHz processor, do you think that this will suffice with editing video? I know that it will be slow, but will it work?
just don't try and do divx 4 coding..

Why not try to do divx 4 coding? Sorry, I don't really know too much about computers.

Krazie said:
Why not try to do divx 4 coding? Sorry, I don't really know too much about computers.
it is pretty much optimized for a P4 2.4GHz and higher.

so should I use divx 3?

I want the best quality possible. Sould I use an s video cable as oposed to composit?

if you want the best possible, look into selling the old P3 rig, and look into buying a Hyper Threading P4 system

1. What is the process of upgrading my computer with new hardware?

The process of upgrading your computer with new hardware involves several steps. First, you need to identify the components that you want to upgrade and make sure they are compatible with your current computer. Next, you will need to purchase the new hardware from a reputable source, such as TigerDirect.com. Then, you will need to open up your computer and install the new hardware, following the manufacturer's instructions. Once the hardware is installed, you may need to update drivers or make other adjustments to ensure that everything is functioning properly.

2. Can I upgrade my computer's hardware myself or do I need a professional?

It is possible to upgrade your computer's hardware yourself, but it depends on your level of technical knowledge and comfort with handling computer components. If you are not familiar with the process, it is recommended to seek professional help to avoid damaging your computer. If you are confident in your abilities, you can follow tutorials or guides to upgrade your hardware on your own.

3. What are the benefits of upgrading my computer's hardware?

Upgrading your computer's hardware can provide several benefits, such as improved performance, increased storage capacity, and access to new features. For example, upgrading your RAM can help your computer run faster and handle more tasks at once. Upgrading your hard drive can give you more space to store files and programs. Upgrading to a newer graphics card can improve your computer's ability to handle graphics-intensive tasks, such as gaming or video editing.

4. How often should I upgrade my computer's hardware?

The frequency of upgrading your computer's hardware depends on your specific needs and usage. Some people may choose to upgrade their hardware every few years to keep up with new technology and ensure optimal performance. Others may only upgrade when they encounter issues or when their needs change. It is recommended to regularly check for updates and upgrades to keep your computer running smoothly.

5. What should I do with my old hardware after upgrading?

There are a few options for what to do with your old hardware after upgrading. You can keep it as a backup in case your new hardware fails, sell it online or to a friend, or donate it to a local school or organization. It is important to properly dispose of any electronic waste, so if your hardware is no longer functional, be sure to recycle it at an e-waste recycling center.