New here -- Question about mass (I am teaching 11 year olds)

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of conservation of mass and how it applies to open and closed systems. It also touches on the difference between mass and weight and uses the example of traveling to the moon to demonstrate the effect of gravity on these measurements. The conversation provides helpful explanations and exercises for teaching these concepts to students.
Darrencc
TL;DR Summary
Teaching eleven year olds about gravity
Hello,
I am teaching eleven year olds about gravity. There is no issue about this subject, however I would like someone to help with a model answer.
As mass never changes. What is the best answer when I am asked that if someone gets 'fatter', do they not put on mass?
Thanks in advance.

• Haha
Likes PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to be explaining Conservation of Mass. I suggest that for an initial explanation for that age group, if someone becomes fatter, then of course, they have increased their mass. But the mass of food in the cupboard has decreased the same amount.

• Haha
Likes Steve4Physics, PeroK, hmmm27 and 1 other person
Darrencc said:
As mass never changes.
Mass of what never changes?

Put me, some food, and a toilet on a large weighing scale (edit: this needs an airtight container with oxygen supply too, since I'll be breathing). If I eat the food, absorb some of it across my gut wall and store it in my fat cells, then go to the toilet and excrete the molecules I did not absorb, the reading on the scale won't change. But the mass of food changes, my mass changes, and the mass of poo changes.

So all I did was move mass around, taking it from the food and absorbing some and excreting some. So my mass does change, because I added some matter, but the total mass of everything in the system did not change.

This is a trap people fall into all the time. A lot of laws apply to closed systems, where nothing enters or leaves. Mass is constant in a closed system. But in an open system where stuff can come in or out, it manifestly isn't constant, as the example of a person eating shows.

Likes Steve4Physics, jack action and vanhees71
tech99 said:
You seem to be explaining Conservation of Mass. I suggest that for an initial explanation for that age group, if someone becomes fatter, then of course, they have increased their mass. But the mass of food in the cupboard has decreased the same amount.
Excellent. Very helpful, thank you

Ibix said:
Mass of what never changes?

Put me, some food, and a toilet on a large weighing scale (edit: this needs an airtight container with oxygen supply too, since I'll be breathing). If I eat the food, absorb some of it across my gut wall and store it in my fat cells, then go to the toilet and excrete the molecules I did not absorb, the reading on the scale won't change. But the mass of food changes, my mass changes, and the mass of poo changes.

So all I did was move mass around, taking it from the food and absorbing some and excreting some. So my mass does change, because I added some matter, but the total mass of everything in the system did not change.

This is a trap people fall into all the time. A lot of laws apply to closed systems, where nothing enters or leaves. Mass is constant in a closed system. But in an open system where stuff can come in or out, it manifestly isn't constant, as the example of a person eating shows.
Wonderful. Very helpful. Thank you

Likes Ibix
Place a brick or the like on a scale and show the read out to the class. Next, place another object on top of the brick. The class can see that the mass of something changes when you add mass to it.

The notion that the mass of a system remains constant is valid only for closed systems. In other words, if you don't add or subtract any matter from a system, its mass will stay the same.

Likes vanhees71
Darrencc said:
As mass never changes. What is the best answer when I am asked that if someone gets 'fatter', do they not put on mass?
They do. We just use the term 'weight' more commonly in everyday parlance.

This might be a chance to teach the most useful general rule in all of science:

(Some of it) + (The rest of it) = (All of it)

Likes sysprog, anorlunda and jbriggs444
@Darrencc, are you trying to teach the (technical) difference between mass and weight?

Here’s an exercise which I have used with students (slightly older than yours).

You kick a foot-ball shaped stone. It hurts your foot!
You try to lift up the stone but it’s a bit too heavy.

You now travel to moon where the pull of gravity is about 6 times weaker than on earth.
On the moon:
- does it hurt as much when you kick the stone?
- can you lift up the stone?

Likes DaveE and ergospherical
Steve4Physics said:
You now travel to moon where the pull of gravity is about 6 times weaker than on earth.
On the moon:
- does it hurt as much when you kick the stone?
- can you lift up the stone?
How do you get your students to the Moon?

• Haha
  • Informative
Likes DaveE, Mister T, Steve4Physics and 1 other person
PeroK said:
You put them on a rocket of course!

• Haha
Likes vanhees71 and PeroK
Drakkith said:
You put them on a rocket of course!
Why didn't I think of that?!

• Haha
Likes vanhees71 and Drakkith
PeroK said:
Did I not mention my first name is Elon?

(Not really though, or my username here would have to be elon4phsyics.)

Likes vanhees71
PeroK said:
Sorry to put the thread back on topic. :) But this is a good point. It is much better to come up things that can be demonstrated, or at least a part of the students' common experience.

Drakkith said:
We just use the term 'weight' more commonly in everyday parlance.
This is something that needs to be explicitly pointed out to the students. The word weight has multiple meanings, it can either refer to mass or to a force. The word weight is actually legally defined as what we refer to as mass. The distinction between force and mass is the important distinction for students to understand. I go so far as to refer to it as the weight force.

Likes DaveE, Steve4Physics and PeroK
Mister T said:
Sorry to put the thread back on topic. :) But this is a good point. It is much better to come up things that can be demonstrated, or at least a part of the students' common experience.
Agreed. But as a teaching-exercise, used alongside other material of course, I've found it generates useful discussion and thought.

I'd be interested in any practical demonstration to distinguish between mass and weight if anyone knows of any.

Likes vanhees71
X
Steve4Physics said:
Agreed. But as a teaching-exercise, used alongside other material of course, I've found it generates useful discussion and thought.

I'd be interested in any practical demonstration to distinguish between mass and weight if anyone knows of any.
Students may be able to experience weightlessness for an instant on amusement park rides.
1646936323493.png

anorlunda said:
X

Students may be able to experience weightlessness for an instant on amusement park rides.
View attachment 298220
But the problem (explaining the difference between mass and weight) remains. E.g. what do you say to the student who claims they were weightless and therefore also massless?

Also, if defining weight as a gravitational force, freefall is not true weightlessness. Maybe call it apparent weightlessness to avoid conflict with the definition.

I can see no use for the concepts of weight and weightlessness in physics. There are mass, gravity and contact forces. That covers everything.

Last edited:
There are 4 fundamental interactions (stron, weak, electromagnetic, and gravitational), but I think you can't discuss it in this abstract way with 11-yo students, and to get the issue of the difference between mass and gravitational force ##mg## on Earth right even at higher grades. The idea with the moon seems to be good although I guess one must not underestimate the level of abstraction this thought experiment also needs.

Likes Steve4Physics
PeroK said:
I can see no use for the concepts of weight and weightlessness in physics. There are mass, gravity and contact forces. That covers everything.
Weight, as typically defined in physics, includes the effects of both gravity and Earth's spin.

Steve4Physics said:
The effort needed to push a car on level ground with transmission disengaged. i.e. to manually overcome its resistance to acceleration, demonstrates its mass. and the effort required to lift it, or to lift part of it with a jack, against gravity, demonstrates its weight.

Likes vanhees71, nasu and Steve4Physics

1. What is mass?

Mass is a measurement of the amount of matter an object contains. It is often confused with weight, but mass is a constant property of an object and does not change with location, while weight is affected by gravity.

2. How is mass measured?

Mass is typically measured using a balance scale or electronic scale. The unit of measurement for mass is grams (g) or kilograms (kg).

3. What is the difference between mass and weight?

As mentioned before, mass is a measurement of the amount of matter an object contains, while weight is a measurement of the force of gravity on an object. Mass is constant, while weight can vary depending on the strength of gravity.

4. How does mass affect an object's motion?

Mass is one of the factors that affects an object's motion, along with force and acceleration. Objects with a larger mass require more force to move, and they also have more inertia, meaning they are more resistant to changes in motion.

5. Can mass change?

Mass is a constant property of an object and cannot change, unless matter is added or removed from the object. For example, if you cut a piece of paper in half, the mass of each half will be half of the original mass of the paper.