Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New home: Guam!

1. Nov 13, 2009 #1
    Finally made it to my new homeport in Guam. The scenery here is beautiful. Clear blue water, constant warm temperature, palm trees everywhere, extremely nice natives. This is supposed to be one of the top places to go scuba diving, and I can see why.

I'm going out in a little bit to buy a decent camera to take pictures to post. Also, thinking about finally getting a telescope because light pollution where I'm staying is nearly nonexistent. Really neat place!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2009 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's very exciting! Sounds gorgeous...when will you be hosting a PF gathering? :biggrin:

I can't wait to see pictures.

4. Nov 13, 2009 #3
  5. Nov 14, 2009 #4

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

You rotten kid. Stop reminding me of the good old days.....

Btw, did you ever tell us which sub you were on?

And don't make fun of me for forgetting if you already did. I'm old! And senile! And gads I remember the mid pacific......

guam.jpg

And btw, did I tell you that you were a rotten kid yet?

6. Nov 14, 2009 #5
    Nice place to be, how are you enjoying the other aspects of your tour?

7. Nov 16, 2009 #6

Mk

Wow B. Elliot, I was born in Guam and even though I do not currently live there, I call it my hometown. Back during the weekly PF Photo Contests I submitted a few pictures from Guam. Where are you located? :smile:

If you like Scuba diving, be sure to hit Jellyfish Lake in nearby Palau— arguably the most fantastically amazing place to dive in the world.

8. Nov 17, 2009 #7
    I have complained that my University in the United States is a four hour drive to the nearest large city. It can be very frustrating that any really major event takes a pretty long drive to get to.

I probably shouldn't move to Guam.
    (Actually you have my envy, I bet it really is a beautiful place.)

9. Nov 17, 2009 #8

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Gee, you are so lucky :smile:

10. Feb 2, 2010 #9
    Finally got internet again:yuck: Ironically though, i'm not in Guam right now. i'm in Hawaii! I'll be here for a few more months till I head back to Guam. Here's some of the pics I promised.

From the top of Lovers Point (the summit in the top-left of the pic OmCheeto pisted)
    IMG00371-1.jpg
    IMG00369.jpg

Pics from Gab Gab beach.
    IMG00363.jpg

Old pillboxes on Gab Gab
    IMG00362.jpg
    IMG00361.jpg

Views from my old barracks
    IMG00364.jpg
    IMG00367.jpg

I really need to get better camera than the one on my Blackberry.

11. Feb 2, 2010 #10
    Very nice pics! Makes me feel like I have traveled, at the convience of my own home :biggrin:

12. Feb 2, 2010 #11

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ah, that looks very nice. Good to see you again :smile:!

13. Feb 3, 2010 #12

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Great pictures! With just a bit more coaxing, you might get the sisterhood to skip Bora Bora and come visit you. :cool:
    I think Guam should really get a name upgrade. It looks way too much like guano.

And now that you are on Oahu, you might want to get a submersible camera so you can take a picture of that Moray eel that scared the bejeezits out of me in Hanauma bay 30 years ago. I also expect the obligatory pictures of Diamond Head and the Pipeline on the North Shore. And maybe a picture of the pineapple fields. Oh, and a view the mountains from the north shore. And the Arizona memorial. And maybe a picture of the barracks on Ford Island, if they are still there. Amazing place to stay; full of ants and rat sized cockroaches. But who cared, we were in Hawaii. :!!)

Thanks again for bringing back great old memories.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook