Woman to build house out of 747

Now how's that for recycling?

:rolleyes:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4926216.stm

2. jcsd
  3. matthyaouw

matthyaouw 1,216
    Gold Member

It should be well insulated at least....

4. It should be an airplane

5. Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

If it is one of the original 747's, then it could be passed its airworthiness or design life.

There are several fields in California and Arizona where aged aircraft are stored - even some relatively young aircraft - simply because the owners cannot afford to operate them.

6. Moonbear

Moonbear 12,265
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually, looking at the drawing they show accompanying the article, I like the way it looks. It's very modern and open looking. If you didn't know it was designed with airplane parts, you wouldn't necessarily realize it when looking at the drawing. (Of course, I'm drooling more over the 55 acres of property part.)

7. wolram

wolram 3,781
    Gold Member

Some people are bonkers, it looks more like a green house, i would not give tupence for it.

8. Moonbear

Moonbear 12,265
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, it's meant to be a "green" house. :biggrin: I don't think I'd want to live in a place like that...too cold for me with all that metal...but I can appreciate the architecture. It looks like it would be very inviting as a museum of modern art or a concert hall or even a library, but some people like living in places like that too. I like all the angles and windows.

9. Hah, yea right moonbear. That place looks like what its made out of, junk. That has no visual appeal to it. Why not go all the way and get an old car and make it look like its crashing through the wall, er I mean fuselage?

10. wolram

wolram 3,781
    Gold Member

we have to make allowances for Moon B, she sees good in everything.:smile:

11. Moonbear

Moonbear 12,265
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Really? Did you look at the picture? Not the first one of the airplane...that's not the house...but at the end of the article, there's a drawing of what the house is planned to look like. It doesn't look at all like a pile of junk to me. The only thing missing is a view of the ocean from all those windows! :biggrin: (I got a chuckle that the FAA is requiring her to clearly mark all visible airplane parts so they aren't confused with a crashed plane from the sky....I wonder how that's to be done, and what it would do to the appearance?)

12. Sorry moonbear,

[​IMG]

What is so artistic about slapping a wing on as a roof? That look's like a poor deisgn. If its an airplane theme, make it look like a modern airport. :rolleyes: Hopefully a strong wind will come by, create lots of lift, and rip that atrocious house off of its foundation and it will fly away, never to return again.

13. Astronuc

I am puzzled by that statment
    What is she supposed to do - write in big letters, "THIS IS NOT A CRASH".

On the positive side - The house will take in mountain, valley and sea views :tongue2:

14. Moonbear

Moonbear 12,265
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I only caught that on a second reading (when I was checking to make sure there wasn't more than one picture). That definitely is a plus...with all those windows, I would hope there's a spectacular view to enjoy.

Note to self: Don't let Woolie or Cyrus design a house for me...we obviously have very different ideas about aesthetics. :biggrin:

15. Woolie and my house would just be a garage, filled with Ferrari’s and motorbikes, and pin up calendars.

Edit: Better make that a hangar, filled with airplanes, Ferrari's and motorbikes.

The sad part is, there is a guy at the local airpark who does have a hangar filled with airplanes (T-34 Mentor, twin seat jet-fighter/trainer, Classic piper supercub [cream and maroon], trojan), cars (brand new mercedes, ferrari, ferrari formula 1 car, alfa romeo) but no motorbikes :frown:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2006
  16. Moonbear

Moonbear 12,265
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: Yep, like I said, very different tastes. :rofl:

17. Astronuc

The house will be built on a hillside in Malibu - overlooking the Pacific Ocean. The architects rendering shows plenty of windows.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2006
  18. Oh yeah, and he owns a P-51 mustang too!

19. Moonbear

Moonbear 12,265
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh! Then those wings will probably come in handy for riding out the mudslides. :bugeye: :biggrin:

20. Astronuc

Well, if one builds properly, there will be no mudslide.

The CEO of our company designed the foundation of his house. If the hill goes (or the side of the mountain), his will probably be the only house remaining. :rofl: And it overlooks the Pacific Ocean in a fairly exclusive area.

21. Astronuc

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?