Woman Builds Home from 747 Jumbo Jet

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Home
In summary: I'm not sure how well it will work in the end, but at least she is thinking outside the box.In summary, Francie Rehwald is planning to use a 747 wing for the roof of her home, which will be designed to have curves and be eco-friendly. The parts were obtained from an aeroplane scrap yard in California, and the cost of the project is thought to be several million dollars.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
Woman to build house out of 747

Now how's that for recycling?

A California woman is going ahead with the construction of a house made of elements from a 747 Jumbo jet.

Francie Rehwald wanted her house to look "feminine", have curves and be eco-friendly. Her architect's answer was: "Let's use a 747!"

The wing of the Boeing jet will be used for the roof, its nose as a meditation temple while its trademark "bulge" will serve as a loft.

The plane's parts were obtained from an aeroplane scrap yard in California.

They cost around $100,000 (£56,000) to purchase, while the construction of the project, which is expected to start in June, is thought likely to cost several million dollars by the time it is completed.

Ms Rehwald's family owns one of California's largest Mercedes-Benz dealerships.
:rolleyes:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4926216.stm

Physics news on Phys.org
It should be well insulated at least...

It should be an airplane

scott1 said:
It should be an airplane
If it is one of the original 747's, then it could be passed its airworthiness or design life.

There are several fields in California and Arizona where aged aircraft are stored - even some relatively young aircraft - simply because the owners cannot afford to operate them.

Actually, looking at the drawing they show accompanying the article, I like the way it looks. It's very modern and open looking. If you didn't know it was designed with airplane parts, you wouldn't necessarily realize it when looking at the drawing. (Of course, I'm drooling more over the 55 acres of property part.)

Some people are bonkers, it looks more like a green house, i would not give tupence for it.

wolram said:
Some people are bonkers, it looks more like a green house, i would not give tupence for it.
Well, it's meant to be a "green" house. :biggrin: I don't think I'd want to live in a place like that...too cold for me with all that metal...but I can appreciate the architecture. It looks like it would be very inviting as a museum of modern art or a concert hall or even a library, but some people like living in places like that too. I like all the angles and windows.

Hah, yea right moonbear. That place looks like what its made out of, junk. That has no visual appeal to it. Why not go all the way and get an old car and make it look like its crashing through the wall, er I mean fuselage?

we have to make allowances for Moon B, she sees good in everything.:smile:

cyrusabdollahi said:
Hah, yea right moonbear. That place looks like what its made out of, junk. That has no visual appeal to it. Why not go all the way and get an old car and make it look like its crashing through the wall, er I mean fuselage?
Really? Did you look at the picture? Not the first one of the airplane...that's not the house...but at the end of the article, there's a drawing of what the house is planned to look like. It doesn't look at all like a pile of junk to me. The only thing missing is a view of the ocean from all those windows! :biggrin: (I got a chuckle that the FAA is requiring her to clearly mark all visible airplane parts so they aren't confused with a crashed plane from the sky...I wonder how that's to be done, and what it would do to the appearance?)

Sorry moonbear,

_41579450_houseplan_416_afp.jpg

What is so artistic about slapping a wing on as a roof? That look's like a poor deisgn. If its an airplane theme, make it look like a modern airport. :rolleyes: Hopefully a strong wind will come by, create lots of lift, and rip that atrocious house off of its foundation and it will fly away, never to return again.

Moonbear said:
Really? Did you look at the picture? Not the first one of the airplane...that's not the house...but at the end of the article, there's a drawing of what the house is planned to look like. It doesn't look at all like a pile of junk to me. The only thing missing is a view of the ocean from all those windows! :biggrin: (I got a chuckle that the FAA is requiring her to clearly mark all visible airplane parts so they aren't confused with a crashed plane from the sky...I wonder how that's to be done, and what it would do to the appearance?)

I am puzzled by that statement
she has been asked by the civil aviation authorities to mark the elements of the plane visible from the sky to show that they are not part of a crashed aircraft.
What is she supposed to do - write in big letters, "THIS IS NOT A CRASH".

On the positive side - The house will take in mountain, valley and sea views :tongue2:

Astronuc said:
On the positive side - The house will take in mountain, valley and sea views :tongue2:
I only caught that on a second reading (when I was checking to make sure there wasn't more than one picture). That definitely is a plus...with all those windows, I would hope there's a spectacular view to enjoy.

Note to self: Don't let Woolie or Cyrus design a house for me...we obviously have very different ideas about aesthetics. :biggrin:

Woolie and my house would just be a garage, filled with Ferrari’s and motorbikes, and pin up calendars.

Edit: Better make that a hangar, filled with airplanes, Ferrari's and motorbikes.

The sad part is, there is a guy at the local airpark who does have a hangar filled with airplanes (T-34 Mentor, twin seat jet-fighter/trainer, Classic piper supercub [cream and maroon], trojan), cars (brand new mercedes, ferrari, ferrari formula 1 car, alfa romeo) but no motorbikes :frown:

Last edited:
cyrusabdollahi said:
Woolie and my house would just be a garage, filled with Ferrari’s and motorbikes, and pin up calendars.
:rofl: Yep, like I said, very different tastes. :rofl:

The house will be built on a hillside in Malibu - overlooking the Pacific Ocean. The architects rendering shows plenty of windows.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, and he owns a P-51 mustang too!

Astronuc said:
The house will be built on a hillside in Malibu - overlooking the Pacific Ocean. The architects redering shows plenty of windows.
Oh! Then those wings will probably come in handy for riding out the mudslides. :bugeye: :biggrin:

Well, if one builds properly, there will be no mudslide.

The CEO of our company designed the foundation of his house. If the hill goes (or the side of the mountain), his will probably be the only house remaining. :rofl: And it overlooks the Pacific Ocean in a fairly exclusive area.

Speaking of houses - http://www.loewen.com/home.nsf/info/gallery

This is the company from which to buy windows and doors.

I suspect they might supply windows and doors to the 747 house.

Last edited by a moderator:
I kinda like the house - it looks something like a modern version of a Frank Lloyd Wright design.

Perfect house for Wolram and his bike, Cyrus and his Ferrari, and brewnog and his car -

http://www.loewen.com/home.nsf/info/gallery?open&img=AA61CF2260E6732886256F1900739312&gal=el&start=31

Three-bay garage.

Whoa whoa whoa, you forgot the car baby! :cool:...now were talkin Ferrari F-40, ahhhhhhhhh. :!)

http://www.ultimategarage.com/garage92003a.jpg

That car is worth more than the house behind it.

What about a Lamborghini Countach?

http://www.countach.cc/2003/Photos/1985/lambo%20side1.jpg

http://www.countach.cc/2003/Photos/1985/1986/front1.jpg

Personally, I'd go with the Porsche 917.

Ah, Steve McQueen... I saw Bullitt.

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/67-68/68/bullitt/burninrubber5.jpg

Dah na na, nah na ne nah na na, wwoooompaa-- ah- a-wooompaa- a woompa...

:smile:

Gokul43201 said:
I kinda like the house - it looks something like a modern version of a Frank Lloyd Wright design.
Finally, someone else with good taste! :biggrin:

How do you compare Frank Lloyd Wright's work, to a crap shack with a wing for a roof?

Does this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Wfm_guggenheim_exterior.jpg
even come close to that junk they dare call architecture?

Frank Lloyd Wright is rolling over in his grave thank's to you two.

This is a good example of someone who thinks having loads of money mean's she will produce something spectacular. Well, she will soon see for herself how stupid a house with a wing for a roof looks.

Astronuc said:
Perfect house for Wolram and his bike, Cyrus and his Ferrari, and brewnog and his car -

http://www.loewen.com/home.nsf/info/gallery?open&img=AA61CF2260E6732886256F1900739312&gal=el&start=31

Three-bay garage.

Very nice, i have been agonizing where to keep her, in the house or the
back porch, i am a bit worried the back porch may be a bit cold and damp
for her, i have allways wanted a house with a big garage.

Brewnog's car is out in the rain until his stupid next-door neighbour decides he can use her garage again!

Hmph.

Wooly, any room in that porch of yours?

brewnog said:
Brewnog's car is out in the rain until his stupid next-door neighbour decides he can use her garage again!

Hmph.

Wooly, any room in that porch of yours?
Report your neighbor for automobile abuse!

1. How did the woman acquire the jumbo jet for her home?

The woman purchased the retired jumbo jet from a scrapyard for $50,000.

2. What inspired the woman to build a home from a 747 jumbo jet?

The woman, who is a retired flight attendant, was inspired by her love for aviation and her desire to create a unique and sustainable home.

3. How long did it take the woman to build the home?

It took the woman 6 years to complete the construction of her jumbo jet home.

4. Is the home functional and livable?

Yes, the jumbo jet home is fully functional and livable. It has electricity, plumbing, and even a working shower and kitchen.

5. What challenges did the woman face while building the home?

The woman faced several challenges, including obtaining permits and approvals from local authorities, finding a suitable location for the jumbo jet, and figuring out how to insulate and weatherproof the aircraft.

Back