New Horizons flyby of Pluto [updated for Ultima Thule]

In summary: Pluto system.The investigation into the anomaly that caused New Horizons to enter safe mode on July 4 has confirmed that the main computer was overloaded due to a timing conflict in the spacecraft command sequence. The computer was tasked with receiving a large command load at the same time it was engaged in compressing previous science data. The main computer responded precisely as it was programmed to do, by entering safe mode and switching to the backup computer.Thirty observations were lost during the three-day recovery period, representing less than one percent of the total science that the New Horizons team hoped to collect between July 4 and July 16. None of the mission’s most critical observations were affected. There
Astronomy news on Phys.org
rootone said:
Into July.
Now only two weeks to wait for the real thing ... !
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/newhorizons/main/index.html
Word of warning: Do not expect a lot from this mission, at least not at first. There will be a few last pre-flyby images sent on July 13, the day prior to the flying. On the day of the flyby, nothing. New Horizons will be looking at the Pluto/Charon system during the flyby, not at the Earth. It can't do both. There will be a "phone home" signal sent to Earth after the flyby, but this will just contain system telemetry data. The vehicle will send a few highly compressed "first look" and "high priority" images Earthward in the days that follow the flyby, and then nothing. Image transmission will cease on July 20th and won't resume until mid September. That's when we'll slowly start seeing the good stuff.

Likes Dvorak, Monsterboy and FactChecker
What is the reason for the pause until September before the bulk of data gets transmitted?
I know these breaks in transmission occur with the Mars rovers because the Sun gets in the way.

rootone said:
What is the reason for the pause until September before the bulk of data gets transmitted?
I know these breaks in transmission occur with the Mars rovers because the Sun gets in the way.
It's not the Sun. Pluto will be in opposition on July 6, just a week before the flyby.

New Horizons will not send any data Earthward during the flyby. New Horizons doesn't have a scan platform or a pointable antenna. To talk with the Earth, the entire vehicle has to slew so as the have the antenna pointing toward the Earth. To see Pluto, the entire vehicle has to slew so as to have the science package pointing toward Pluto. Communication and science are in direct conflict on the day of the flyby. Collecting scientific data wins; collecting as much data as possible during the flying is the sole reason this mission exists. Data collected on the way to Pluto was an extra bonus, as will be any data collected from a future encounter with some other trans-Neptunian object.

Another point to remember: The data transmission rate from New Horizons is rather low. It has to be due to the distance to Pluto. By design, New Horizons records data and transmits it to Earth at some later time. It will take well over a year to transmit the recorded flyby data to Earth.

I haven't found out why this gap exists; I can only hazard guesses. Once is a much reduced urgency once the flyby is over. Pre-flyby data, including imagery used for visual navigation, were used to keep the flyby on target. Post-flyby, what's happened has already happened. Another possibility is that New Horizons will collect non-imagery data. Perhaps this non-imagery data is what will be transmitted during that two month lull. (I don't know if this is the case.) Yet another possibility: The team has to be in desperate need of a vacation.

Likes Monsterboy
Anyone have info on the problems with New Horizon's computer?

From the article:
On Saturday, an unknown glitch caused New Horizons to switch to a backup computer, which triggered an 81-minute break in radio communications with mission controllers at the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory in Laurel, Maryland, NASA said in a status report.

"Full recovery is expected to take from one to several days," NASA said. "New Horizons will be temporarily unable to collect science data during that time."​

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/07/05/us-space-pluto-idUSKCN0PF0HW20150705

Likes Dvorak
Imager said:
Anyone have info on the problems with New Horizon's computer?

From the article:
On Saturday, an unknown glitch caused New Horizons to switch to a backup computer, which triggered an 81-minute break in radio communications with mission controllers at the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory in Laurel, Maryland, NASA said in a status report.

"Full recovery is expected to take from one to several days," NASA said. "New Horizons will be temporarily unable to collect science data during that time."​

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/07/05/us-space-pluto-idUSKCN0PF0HW20150705

Gah! No no no! Hang in there, little buddy! Hang in there!

Likes Klystron, Dvorak and FactChecker
The main computer on the New Horizons probe is back up and running!

From NASA
The investigation into the anomaly that caused New Horizons to enter safe mode on July 4 has confirmed that the main computer was overloaded due to a timing conflict in the spacecraft command sequence. The computer was tasked with receiving a large command load at the same time it was engaged in compressing previous science data. The main computer responded precisely as it was programmed to do, by entering safe mode and switching to the backup computer.

Thirty observations were lost during the three-day recovery period, representing less than one percent of the total science that the New Horizons team hoped to collect between July 4 and July 16. None of the mission’s most critical observations were affected. There’s no risk that this kind of anomaly could happen again before flyby, as no similar operations are planned for the remainder of the Pluto encounter.​

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/nasa-s-new-horizons-on-track-for-pluto-flyby

Likes Dvorak, PWiz, davenn and 2 others
I would hope there is a 'battle short' mode during the critical data flyby mission.

Likes Imager
If I recall correctly the Deep Space Network, which is used for communicating with the probe, is quite taxed. Maybe some other projects got priority. As mentioned, there's no huge rush.

Lord Crc said:
If I recall correctly the Deep Space Network, which is used for communicating with the probe, is quite taxed. Maybe some other projects got priority. As mentioned, there's no huge rush.
did you not read the NASA quote in post #7 ?
the problem wasn't with the DSN

davenn said:
did you not read the NASA quote in post #7 ?
the problem wasn't with the DSN

I meant to reply to post #4, about the delay until September for the data return. Quoting is so awkward in the mobile interface and I forgot to specify due to sleepy brain.

Lord Crc said:
I meant to reply to post #4, about the delay until September for the data return. Quoting is so awkward in the mobile interface and I forgot to specify due to sleepy brain.

Are you using the PF Mobile App, or just your phone's browser? If you aren't using the PF App, I recommend it over the tiny browser buttons and such.

Likes Lord Crc
Imagine the surprise if some "unusual" geographic features came to light.:))

plutol2.jpg

Likes mheslep, Keith, DAH and 5 others
Where's that image from, Janus?

Drakkith said:
Where's that image from, Janus?
It's my own creation.

Omg I JUST realize what the terrain was. Pluto on Pluto!

What do you suppose the chances are for indications of recent activity on the surface of Pluto? I'm optimistic.

Last edited:
What kind of recent activity?

Likes Dotini
Drakkith said:
Not Mickey and Pluto running around! :biggrin:
I'm hoping to see some atmospheric or geologic activity due to energy imparted by Pluto's dynamic elliptical orbit and/or its close family of moons.

Drakkith said:
Impact crater from a sleeping probe?

Likes Drakkith
pluto-charon-july-8.png

OK, here is the latest photo from New Horizons as published by Popular Science. Their article claims this photo was taken from a distance of 3.7 miles. Intuitively this seems way off. The known distance between Charon and Pluto is 12,200 miles. Pluto's diameter is 1,471 miles. I've been trying to figure out how to calculate the actual distance from the camera to Pluto using trig but can only come up with one side and no angles using only the photo. Can anyone help me prove or disprove the purported distance?

Likes Drakkith
3.7 million miles would be realistic.
The current distance is 4.6 million km (2.9 million miles).

Likes B1948J
mfb said:
3.7 million miles would be realistic.
The current distance is 4.6 million km (2.9 million miles).
Thank you! Do you have any idea of how one might calculate this based on the photo?

Not without more information about the camera, like its angular resolution.

Actually... you could determine when this picture has been taken based on the apparent distance of Pluto and Charon and the trajectory of the two objects and New Horizons, and use this to determine the distance. That sounds quite complicated and you have to look up the trajectories.

Likes B1948J
Man, I can't believe we're seeing the actual surface of Pluto. I have been looking at "artist's impression"s of Pluto in textbooks for more than 4 decades, and now here we are.

Likes Dvorak, davenn and DennisN
mfb said:
Not without more information about the camera, like its angular resolution.

Actually... you could determine when this picture has been taken based on the apparent distance of Pluto and Charon and the trajectory of the two objects and New Horizons, and use this to determine the distance. That sounds quite complicated and you have to look up the trajectories.

Specs for LORRI, the imaging device that took the image: http://web.archive.org/web/20100808073101/http://www.boulder.swri.edu/pkb/ssr/ssr-lorri.pdf

The camera sensor has a 1024 x 1024 array of square pixels that are 13 microns on each side, with a resolution of about 1 arcsecond.
The optical system has an aperture of 208 mm, a focal length is 2630 mm, and a field of view of 0.29 x 0.29 degrees, or 1044 x 1044 arcseconds (1.02 arcsec per pixel).

Likes Dvorak, B1948J and nsaspook
@B1948J

Looks like this is the original article from the New Horizons website:

http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/News-Center/News-Article.php?page=20150709
B1948J said:
View attachment 85752

OK, here is the latest photo from New Horizons as published by Popular Science. Their article claims this photo was taken from a distance of 3.7 miles. Intuitively this seems way off. The known distance between Charon and Pluto is 12,200 miles. Pluto's diameter is 1,471 miles. I've been trying to figure out how to calculate the actual distance from the camera to Pluto using trig but can only come up with one side and no angles using only the photo. Can anyone help me prove or disprove the purported distance?

Likes B1948J
Imager said:
@B1948J

Looks like this is the original article from the New Horizons website:

http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/News-Center/News-Article.php?page=20150709
Thank you. I should have checked this website first.

It seemed intuitive to me that there must be some way to approximate the distance from which the photo was taken using known distances between Pluto and Charon and their diameters. It was a good mental exercise to understand why that's not so thanks to mb and Drakkith.

B1948J said:
It seemed intuitive to me that there must be some way to approximate the distance from which the photo was taken using known distances between Pluto and Charon and their diameters. It was a good mental exercise to understand why that's not so thanks to mb and Drakkith.

But you can! I've given you everything you need to know about the imaging system to do so. (I think I have at least)

DaveC426913 said:
Man, I can't believe we're seeing the actual surface of Pluto. I have been looking at "artist's impression"s of Pluto in textbooks for more than 4 decades, and now here we are.
I actually have to admit I feel a little bit like a kid in a candy shop at the moment... :biggrin:... even more so after seeing post #29 by Drakkith above :smile:.

Likes davenn and Drakkith
It's really a cool time to be living in with all these new discoveries

Likes OmCheeto and Greg Bernhardt
Isn't the photo in #29 beginning to look like the image (side on) in #13? :wink:

Garth

Last edited:
Garth said:
Isn't the photo in #29 beginning to look like the image (side on) in #13? :wink:

Garth
I see what you mean.

Plutopluto.jpg

Likes OmCheeto, PWiz and Drakkith