New Horizons flyby of Pluto [updated for Ultima Thule]

In summary: Pluto system.The investigation into the anomaly that caused New Horizons to enter safe mode on July 4 has confirmed that the main computer was overloaded due to a timing conflict in the spacecraft command sequence. The computer was tasked with receiving a large command load at the same time it was engaged in compressing previous science data. The main computer responded precisely as it was programmed to do, by entering safe mode and switching to the backup computer.Thirty observations were lost during the three-day recovery period, representing less than one percent of the total science that the New Horizons team hoped to collect between July 4 and July 16. None of the mission’s most critical observations were affected. There
2014 MU69 in 2019.

I don't think there is enough fuel to visit yet another target beyond that. The distant fly-by observations of other objects won't produce images I guess - spectroscopic data, ideally time-resolved, and a search for moons.

Likes 1oldman2
Astronomy news on Phys.org
tumblr_inline_oa5zr5HYNF1tzhl5u_540.jpg

I love you, too, Pluto. (sorry)

Likes 1oldman2 and Drakkith
This is a purely Earth-based observation however. Interesting things with the discovery date.

Likes 1oldman2
mfb said:
Interesting things with the discovery date.
I was surprised to learn about all the information that could be deduced from the "opposition effect" as well as different phase angles.

Fervent Freyja said:
Love your new avatar Old Man, much more fitting! :smile:
Thanks, :smile: the last ones have been oils by my favorite artist, Maxfield Parrish. The screen shots from the ISS cams are another "hobby" I enjoy.

Likes Fervent Freyja and ProfuselyQuarky
More interesting "stuff" from New Horizons,
From, http://www.nasa.gov/feature/pluto-s-methane-snowcaps-on-the-edge-of-darkness
From, http://www.nasa.gov/image-feature/new-horizons-spies-a-kuiper-belt-companion

NASA’s New Horizons is doing some sightseeing along the way, as the spacecraft speeds toward a
New Year’s Day 2019 date with an ancient object in the distant region beyond Pluto known as 2014
MU69.

New Horizons recently observed the dwarf planet Quaoar ("Kwa-war"), which - at 690 miles or 1,100
kilometers in diameter - is roughly half the size of Pluto. This animated sequence shows composite
images taken by New Horizons’ Long Range Reconnaissance Imager (LORRI) at four different times
over July 13-14: "A" on July 13 at 02:00 Universal Time; "B" on July 13 at 04:08 UT; "C" on July 14 at
00:06 UT; and "D" on July 14 at 02:18 UT. Each composite includes 24 individual LORRI images,
providing a total exposure time of 239 seconds and making the faint object easier to see.
(see image in the article)

Likes ProfuselyQuarky, rootone and OmCheeto
With HORIZONS Web-Interface one can find ephemeris calculations for many of the larger Solar-System objects. On this day (Sept 1), Quaoar was about 42 AU from the Sun and moving inwards at about 150 m/s, New Horizons about 36 AU away and moving outward at about 14 km/s.

Relative to New Horizons, Quaoar is about 13.7 AU away, approaching at 6.6 km/s, and about 110d from the Sun in direction. From Quaoar, the Sun and NH are about 53d apart. So NH saw Quaoar at a good departure from the Sun's direction.

Likes 1oldman2
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=6651

The next target for NASA's New Horizons mission -- which made a historic flight past Pluto in July 2015 -- apparently bears a colorful resemblance to its famous, main destination.

NASA's Hubble Space Telescope data suggests that 2014 MU69, a small Kuiper Belt object (KBO) about a billion miles (1.6 billion kilometers) beyond Pluto, is as red, if not redder, than Pluto. This is the first hint at the surface properties of the far-flung object that New Horizons will survey on Jan. 1, 2019.

Mission scientists are discussing this and other Pluto and Kuiper Belt findings this week at the American Astronomical Society Division for Planetary Sciences (DPS) and European Planetary Science Congress (EPSC) meeting in Pasadena, California.

"We're excited about the exploration ahead for New Horizons, and also about what we are still discovering from Pluto flyby data," said Alan Stern, principal investigator from Southwest Research Institute in Boulder, Colorado. "Now, with our spacecraft transmitting the last of its data from last summer's flight through the Pluto system, we know that the next great exploration of Pluto will require another mission to be sent there."

Likes Drakkith
A great article by Emily, too long to post but the link is highly recommended reading. :smile:
http://www.planetary.org/blogs/emily-lakdawalla/2016/10251718-dpsepsc-new-horizons-pluto.html

Last week's Division for Planetary Sciences/European Planetary Science Congress meeting was chock-full of science from all over the solar system. A total of five sessions (one plenary, three oral, and one poster) was devoted to New Horizons at Pluto. It's been a year since the flyby, a year that early science has had a chance to mature. What's changed about our understanding of Pluto in that time?

First of all, an important reminder: New Horizons didn't return its data instantly. We were told it would take 16 months to get all the data down. It took slightly more than that, but the data transmission is now complete, as of last weekend. Hats off to the New Horizons team for not only accomplishing the flyby, but safely returning all the data!

Of course, because data transmission took so long, scientists kept needing to modify analyses to incorporate freshly returned data. It's like an image progressively coming into focus -- the early data gave the team a good sense of what they had, but later data added depth and detail.

I'll give some science summaries below, but first I want to share some news about data release, as well as a pretty picture. In his plenary talk, principal investigator Alan Stern announced that the second delivery of data to the Planetary Data System will come this month. This is going to include a lot of the nicest photos that New Horizons took through both high-resolution LORRI and lower-resolution-but-color MVIC cameras, and it was all downlinked without lossy compression, so it will be an exciting data release. There are two more releases planned for Pluto flyby data, in April and September 2017. Stern also mentioned that NASA has just announced a Data Analysis Program (DAP) for New Horizons, meaning that researchers not on the team can now propose for grant funds to work on the mission's data. Finally, Stern and many other team members shared this absolutely gorgeous color map of Pluto's surface, remarking on how you can see Pluto's color changes strongly with latitude:

Likes OmCheeto
Halfway point to the next show, New Horizons is giving us our moneys worth. :smile:

https://blogs.nasa.gov/pluto/2016/12/22/exploring-pluto-and-a-billion-miles-beyond/

As 2016 ends, I can’t help but point out an interesting symmetry in where the mission has recently been and where we are going. Exactly two years ago we had just taken New Horizons out of cruise hibernation to begin preparations for the Pluto flyby. And exactly two years from now we will be on final approach to our next flyby, which will culminate with a very close approach to a small Kuiper Belt object (KBO) called 2014 MU69 - a billion miles farther out than Pluto - on Jan. 1, 2019. Just now, as 2016 ends, we are at the halfway point between those two milestones.

http://blogs.nasa.gov/pluto/wp-content/uploads/sites/253/2016/12/KBO-Paper-from-NH.jpg

Likes ProfuselyQuarky, hsdrop and Drakkith
The "New" New Horizons News, :smile:
https://www.nasa.gov/feature/new-mysteries-surround-new-horizons-next-flyby-target
"These results are telling us something really interesting," said New Horizons Principal Investigator Alan Stern, of SwRI. "The fact that we accomplished the occultation observations from every planned observing site but didn’t detect the object itself likely means that either MU69 is highly reflective and smaller than some expected, or it may be a binary or even a swarm of smaller bodies left from the time when the planets in our solar system formed."

Likes Lord Crc, mfb and Drakkith
a "small and highly reflective" object drifting in the outer solar system eh?
Hmmm...
Isn't this is the way so many sci-fi stories start? :-p

Likes 1oldman2
Daleks!

DaveC426913 said:
a "small and highly reflective" object drifting in the outer solar system eh?
Hmmm...
Isn't this is the way so many sci-fi stories start? :-p
Yup, talk about a potential story line.

rootone said:
Daleks!
Ramans!

NASA; "Initial estimates of MU69’s diameter, ... fall in the 20-40 kilometer range ..."

A.C. Clarke; "...Rama is a perfect cylinder, 20 kilometres in diameter and 54 kilometres long, and completely featureless"

:bugeye:

Likes Imager
OmCheeto said:
Ramans!

NASA; "Initial estimates of MU69’s diameter, ... fall in the 20-40 kilometer range ..."

A.C. Clarke; "...Rama is a perfect cylinder, 20 kilometres in diameter and 54 kilometres long, and completely featureless"

:bugeye:
Good book! :thumbup:

NASA’s New Horizons Team Strikes Gold in Argentina | NASA
A primitive solar system object that’s more than four billion miles (6.5 billion kilometers) away passed in front of a distant star as seen from Earth. Just before midnight Eastern Time Sunday (12:50 a.m. local time July 17), several telescopes deployed by the New Horizons team in a remote part of Argentina were in precisely the right place at the right time to catch its fleeting shadow — an event that’s known as an occultation.
That's 2014 MU69, New Horizons's next destination, in a flyby on 2019 Jan 1. So far, there are five confirmed observations of this occultation.

No report on size estimates from this occultation, though the article states for this KBO "likely 14-25 miles or 22-40 kilometers across". The occultations will also be good for getting a line of sight for this KBO, to help NH aim its cameras at it.

New Horizons' cameras could image Pluto better than Hubble something like 3 months before the fly-by, at that time it got a few pixels from a 2300 km object. As its speed will be nearly the same at MU69, we can expect to see some features just one day before the fly-by, at a distance of about 1 million km. While spectroscopy and searches for moons can be done before and afterwards as well, the whole imaging phase is just two days long. This also means New Horizons has to do most of it automatically. Light-speed delay is 6 hours per direction and the signal transmission rate is very low. By the time the scientists get the first pictures with relevant spatial resolution and can react to it, New Horizons will be very close to the object already.

Likes davenn
Updates, the show ain't over yet. MU69 may not be the end of the fun. :woot:
https://spaceflightnow.com/2017/09/...lyby-plan-for-new-horizonss-next-destination/
"We expect to put a second extended mission proposal into senior review about that time," Stern said. "We are currently searching for new close flyby targets, and we have some very promising techniques and enough fuel... that we’ve got a fighting chance of having a second KBO flyby."
"Mission planners initially budgeted propellant for New Horizons to fine-tune its speed toward MU69 to better match the object’s rotation and improve visibility for the craft’s cameras. But scientists now believe the probe is approaching MU69 along its rotational axis, eliminating the need for additional rotational phasing maneuvers and saving fuel to reach another target in the 2020s."

Likes davenn, OmCheeto and Lord Crc
mfb said:
Light-speed delay is 6 hours per direction and the signal transmission rate is very low.
From the same article. ( And I thought my downlink speed sucked.)
"Once the probe’s dish-shaped antenna is trained back on Earth, imagery and data will begin to trickle down soon after the flyby, making the six-hour trip at light speed at a rate of just 1 to 2 kilobits per second. At that downlink speed, it will take more than a year-and-a-half to return all the scientific goods gathered by New Horizons."

Likes davenn, Drakkith and Lord Crc
Likes OmCheeto
The object has a diameter of just 30 km and New Horizons is planned to pass it at 3000 km distance at a speed of about 15 km/s. Similar to Pluto: The phase of closest approach is much shorter than the light speed delay (just about 10 minutes in this case).

Double potato: aka contact binary.

I worked out that this was a binary and not a "bowling skittle" from the 3 pixel wide image they posted on 1s Jan. I also think it has a large dark area ( probably impact crater ) on the side shown in that image. It seems the latest image with more useful resolution , linked above, is the other side of the MU69 due to its 15h rotation.

We will see, hopefully tomorrow, a more detailed image of the same side as Jan 1st shot.

I read that one of the NH team said that there was enough gravitational attraction to hold the two lumps together, which gut feeling seemed a little surprising with a 15h rotation. What kind of force is there holding these together?

Attachments

• thule64-lanc800-deblur.png
    thule64-lanc800-deblur.png
    54.7 KB · Views: 339
Last edited:
From the image, it seems that the accretion of small bodies in the early solar system was achieved through the adhering of ices on the mutual surfaces, be they water ice, carbon dioxide, methane or nitrogen...

Likes Drakkith
fizzy said:
What kind of force is there holding these together?
Gravity.

Btw, this is an entertaining problem. It took me a couple of hours to solve.

2019.01.03.UT.gravity.vs.centr.force.png

Mostly because of the little details that I don't know how to solve off the top of my head:
barycenter
center of gravity
centrifugal force​

ps. No guarantees that this is correct.

Attachments

• 2019.01.03.UT.gravity.vs.centr.force.png
    2019.01.03.UT.gravity.vs.centr.force.png
    28.1 KB · Views: 927
Likes Klystron
OmCheeto said:
Gravity.

Btw, this is an entertaining problem. It took me a couple of hours to solve.

View attachment 236760

Mostly because of the little details that I don't know how to solve off the top of my head:
barycenter
center of gravity
centrifugal force​

ps. No guarantees that this is correct.
Assuming your numbers are at least reasonably correct and using a rotation period of 15h, I get a centripetal acceleration of 0.00016 m/s2 to hold Thule to Ultima against the spin (as measured at its center). the centripetal acceleration of Thule due to the gravitational pull of Ultima (center to center) is 0.0009 m/s2 or ~5.7 times larger. At the far end of Thule, the required centripetal force increases to 0.00025 m/s2 and gravity decreases to 0.0007m/s2; But it is still enough to hold on to something against the spin.

Likes Klystron, berkeman and OmCheeto
thanks for the replies. In the context of its paragraph talking about gravitational attraction my qu. "what sort of force" meant what sort of magnitude is the force, not where does it come from.

When two bodies are touching using two point masses is obviously not right but does at least give a first order approximation. Thanks for the numbers.

I downloaded a presentation from NH and they seem to use the density of water. Presumably they are assuming this is mainly water ice plus some rocky dust.

Hopefully later today we will get a new image with the other side and we will see whether I was correct about there being a large dark feature, or whether that was just an image processing artefact.

hmm, now into 5th Jan in Europe and still nothing newer than the 1st Jan "snowman" image. I thought they were supposed to be publishing one a day.

http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/soc/UltimaThule-Encounter/
"In the images posted on Jan. 1, Ultima is expected to be approximately 3 pixels across, but it will grow to approximately 100 pixels across for the images posted on Jan. 2, and approximately 200 pixels across for the images posted on Jan. 3."

Very odd. Closest approach was on Wed 3rd Jan but their NH twitter feed is still pumping out the boring "snowman" image from 1st Jan.

What is going on here? Has the data link gone down or are NASA playing hide-and-seek with the publicly owned images again?

Data transmission takes time, high resolution images need longer than low resolution images, and there is much more to transmit than just pictures. In addition NASA has no obligation to release pictures as soon as they arrive here just because you want to see a new picture every day.

There are also the limitations of the Deep Space Network.
All 11 antennas are currently assigned to other craft.

<h2>1. What is the purpose of the New Horizons flyby of Pluto and Ultima Thule?</h2><p>The main purpose of the New Horizons mission is to gather data and images of Pluto and its moon, Charon, to better understand their composition, geology, and atmosphere. The flyby of Ultima Thule, a small Kuiper Belt object, is an added bonus and will provide valuable information about the early formation of our solar system.</p><h2>2. How long did it take for New Horizons to reach Pluto and Ultima Thule?</h2><p>New Horizons launched in January 2006 and reached Pluto in July 2015, taking approximately 9.5 years to complete the journey. The flyby of Ultima Thule occurred on January 1, 2019, making it a total of 13 years for the spacecraft to reach both objects.</p><h2>3. What kind of instruments does New Horizons have on board?</h2><p>New Horizons carries seven different instruments, including cameras, spectrometers, and a plasma and dust detector. These instruments allow the spacecraft to gather data on the composition, temperature, and structure of Pluto and Ultima Thule.</p><h2>4. How far is New Horizons from Earth during the flyby?</h2><p>During the flyby of Pluto, New Horizons was approximately 3 billion miles away from Earth. For the flyby of Ultima Thule, the spacecraft was about 4 billion miles from Earth. This distance makes communication with the spacecraft challenging and requires precise calculations and timing.</p><h2>5. What new discoveries have been made by New Horizons during the flyby of Pluto and Ultima Thule?</h2><p>Some of the most significant discoveries made by New Horizons during the flyby of Pluto include the presence of a complex atmosphere, evidence of past and present geological activity, and the discovery of a potential subsurface ocean on Pluto's largest moon, Charon. The flyby of Ultima Thule has also provided valuable information about the formation of small objects in the early solar system.</p>

1. What is the purpose of the New Horizons flyby of Pluto and Ultima Thule?

The main purpose of the New Horizons mission is to gather data and images of Pluto and its moon, Charon, to better understand their composition, geology, and atmosphere. The flyby of Ultima Thule, a small Kuiper Belt object, is an added bonus and will provide valuable information about the early formation of our solar system.

2. How long did it take for New Horizons to reach Pluto and Ultima Thule?

New Horizons launched in January 2006 and reached Pluto in July 2015, taking approximately 9.5 years to complete the journey. The flyby of Ultima Thule occurred on January 1, 2019, making it a total of 13 years for the spacecraft to reach both objects.

3. What kind of instruments does New Horizons have on board?

New Horizons carries seven different instruments, including cameras, spectrometers, and a plasma and dust detector. These instruments allow the spacecraft to gather data on the composition, temperature, and structure of Pluto and Ultima Thule.

4. How far is New Horizons from Earth during the flyby?

During the flyby of Pluto, New Horizons was approximately 3 billion miles away from Earth. For the flyby of Ultima Thule, the spacecraft was about 4 billion miles from Earth. This distance makes communication with the spacecraft challenging and requires precise calculations and timing.

5. What new discoveries have been made by New Horizons during the flyby of Pluto and Ultima Thule?

Some of the most significant discoveries made by New Horizons during the flyby of Pluto include the presence of a complex atmosphere, evidence of past and present geological activity, and the discovery of a potential subsurface ocean on Pluto's largest moon, Charon. The flyby of Ultima Thule has also provided valuable information about the formation of small objects in the early solar system.