Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New HYUNDAI 375 hp car

1. Feb 4, 2008 #1
    I'm sure you all saw the commercials last night. Apparently the new hyundai is supposed to be a BEAST.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai_Genesis

This car sounds like it is going to give incredible performance for the price.

I'm curious.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2008 #2
    Behold the new born king (of rice racers!) LOL

4. Feb 4, 2008 #3

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In terms of price/performance, there's much more acceleration per dollar in motorcycles. (Even the expensive ones.)

5. Feb 4, 2008 #4
    Yeah but cars have less chance of breaking your body and can be driven in poor weather.

6. Feb 4, 2008 #5
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

As the saying goes, you get what you pay for. No bags of rice for me, thanks.

The new BMW headlights are pure sex. The car is damn nice. Hyundai is determined to rip-off every major autobody style from the competition possible. They have cars that look like honda accords, lexus, etc. None of it is original.

BTW, my friend has a brand new M35. Great car. Really really nice. Dont compare this crap-day to it. His is a V6 AWD with traction control. Black exterior/ black leather interior.

US$35,000 for a Hyundai, not in a million years.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  7. Feb 5, 2008 #6

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I find it strange that the only real specification they pushed in the suprbowl ads was that it had 375hp... so what?! What's the interior look like? What sort of suspension does it incorporate? Does it have standard amenities similar to competing models, or are they extra? Warranty, service, etc?

More power to Hyundai, competition is great for the market. That being said, I find it very, very hard to believe that I (or anyone else) would choose the Hyundai over a BMW, Audi, Mercedes, or Lexus after test drives in the competing model from each manufacturer. In my opinion, this car will look more appealing to people that are admiring a top-fitted Camry or Accord, and find they can get the Hyundai luxury sedan for the same price.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  8. Feb 5, 2008 #7

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Same price as a Subara Impressa Turbo, same horsepower but 2 fewer wheels to put the power down on the road.

9. Feb 5, 2008 #8

Stingray

Science Advisor

Lots of cars have decent interiors, warranties, etc. While important, none of those features really invoke an emotional response in anyone. 375 hp and RWD gets immediate attention from a significant segment of the population. A commercial's just supposed to generate interest, and that's probably the best way to go about it for this kind of car.

10. Feb 5, 2008 #9
    Not this one. Uggggg-lay.

11. Feb 5, 2008 #10

Stingray

Science Advisor

Yeah, the body looks like one of those Chinese knockoff cars. Knowing Hyundai, the ride and handling qualities will probably be terrible also. The interior is very nice, though.

12. Feb 5, 2008 #11
    Interior of that car looks like doo doo.

:rofl: I Just saw a video of it on you tube. They stole their front from Mercedes, the back from infinity, the interior winged badge from Bentley. Talk about unoriginal.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  13. Feb 5, 2008 #12

OmCheeto

Gold Member

my prediction of what cars will look like in 10 years:

[​IMG]

where are the bookies tonight?.......

14. Feb 6, 2008 #13
    Just came back from the Philly auto show. The new Dodge Challenger is also a BEAST OF A CAR.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Feb 6, 2008 #14

OmCheeto

Gold Member

Our security forces at work have been driving around in those for about a week now.
    Thanks for letting me know where they came from.
    I'll post some pics tomorrow.

16. Feb 6, 2008 #15
    Security officers driving around $40k+ cars?? Are they hiring by any chance? I'd kill to be able to get a chance to drive that machine all the time for free.

17. Feb 6, 2008 #16

OmCheeto

Gold Member

Don't they give them away (at cost...) to police and security forces so all the kids see how cool they look and want one and will pay all of their inheritance to have one?

If you have to get out of ours then you have to be willing to be spit on, puked on, and not threaten to :bugeye: kill the president of the company. (They took away all their guns for 10 years because of that little incident.)

18. Feb 8, 2008 #17

OmCheeto

Gold Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It appears they have changed the tail lights in the production model.

19. Feb 9, 2008 #18
    ......thats the wrong car buddy.

20. Feb 9, 2008 #19
    Dodge Charger

21. Feb 9, 2008 #20

OmCheeto

Gold Member

I stand corrected.
    They do look similar though, from a quarter mile away.
    You can barely notice that one has four doors and the other has two. :redface:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?