Preparing for Physics: Choosing the Right Language to Learn

In summary, if you want to study physics in college, I would recommend learning a functional language like Standard ML, OCaml, F#, Haskell or Scheme. Additionally, it is a good idea to have a basic understanding of C++ or C.
Invyz
I was wondering which language would be most beneficial to study if I plan to major in physics in college and would like a head start? I have a basic BASIC knowledge of java, and generally understand syntax, methods, etc.

Technology news on Phys.org
I would suggest learning a functional language like Standard ML, OCaml, F#, Haskell or Scheme.

Also, it helps to learn at least one low-level language like C so you know what goes on 'under the hood'.

I use C++ for all of my calculations/simulations. It is not too hard to learn and you can download it for free from Microsoft.

Thanks
Matt

DavidSnider said:
I would suggest learning a functional language like Standard ML, OCaml, F#, Haskell or Scheme.
C++ or C? Or isn't there a huge difference.

Also which out of those 5? That's a lot of choices.

For a physicist I would probably go with OCaml or F#. OCaml for linux and F# for windows.

CFDFEAGURU said:
It is not too hard to learn and you can download it for free from Microsoft.
Or use a basic compiler like mingw and not bother with visual studio madness.

Besides C/C++, there's still some scientific computing done in fortran. For upper level stuff, I've seen a lot of scientific computing libraries in python, and MATLAB is very commonly used in the science community. If you already know where you're going, try to find out what the department at your school commonly uses.

C++ or C? Or isn't there a huge difference
Yes, no, maybe. C++ is basically C with objects, so to code C++ well it's good to know the basics of C. (Generally, if you know C, you'll get all the other languages.)

Invyz said:
DavidSnider said:
I would suggest learning a functional language like Standard ML, OCaml, F#, Haskell or Scheme..
C++ or C? Or isn't there a huge difference.
None of those languages is C or C++. C is a procedural language. C++ adds object-oriented concepts to C. Java similarly is a procedural language that supports object-oriented concepts.

Procedural and functional paradigms are quite different -- and that is precisely why it is a good idea to learn both paradigms.

story645 said:
Yes, no, maybe. C++ is basically C with objects, so to code C++ well it's good to know the basics of C. (Generally, if you know C, you'll get all the other languages.)
I disagree with that parenthetical remark. There are plenty of C plus-or-minus programmers who are writing things in what looks like C++ but do so from a solidly C-based mindset. Do object-oriented programming right and your mindset changes considerably. Learning C won't help much at all in learning a functional language such as Lisp or a logical language such as Prolog.

D H said:
Do object-oriented programming right and your mindset changes considerably. Learning C won't help much at all in learning a functional language such as Lisp or a logical language such as Prolog.
If he knows java well, he should know how to do object-oriented coding. C++ isn't all that great either because of how classes are implemented. Knowing C helps with the basics, (like control structure), but truthfully yeah I misspoke.
What I meant was C's a good base for all the C derivative languages ('cause the C stuff shows up in all of them) and is barebones enough to teach a lot of good stuff about the basics and optimization. You need all those before moving on to different paradigms, where yes one of each to figure out how it all works.

1. What is the importance of choosing the right language to learn for studying physics?

Choosing the right language to learn is crucial for studying physics because it allows for better understanding and communication within the scientific community. It also opens up opportunities for collaboration and access to a wider range of resources and research.

2. Which language is the best for studying physics?

There is no one "best" language for studying physics as it ultimately depends on individual preferences and needs. However, some commonly used languages in physics include Python, C++, and Fortran.

3. Is it necessary to have prior knowledge of coding before learning a language for physics?

Having prior knowledge of coding can certainly be helpful, but it is not a requirement. Many languages used in physics have user-friendly interfaces and resources available for beginners.

4. How can I determine which language is right for me?

To determine which language is right for you, consider your goals and the specific areas of physics you are interested in. Research the languages commonly used in those areas and try out a few to see which one you feel most comfortable with.

5. Can I learn multiple languages for studying physics?

Yes, it is possible to learn multiple languages for studying physics. In fact, many scientists use a combination of languages depending on the task at hand. However, it is important to focus on mastering one language before moving on to others.