Exploring Languages: Starting with Elixir

• Thread starter sourlemon
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses building a website using the language Elixir and explores different ways to get started with a new language, such as reading a book or starting with example code and a good reference source. It is suggested to start with a simple "Hello World!" program and then gradually work on implementing different features.
sourlemon
I'm thinking of building my own site with a new language. I'm thinking of Elixir. But I'm curious what else is out there that might be fun to play with.

I'm violating the single responsibility here, but another question. How do you get started on a new language? Do you read a book? Or do you start building something you like and figure it out along the way?

Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org
People learn in different ways, but I start with example code, a good reference source, and the development environment.
It's very common to start with a simple "Hello World!" program - just so that you know you understand the basics about you development environment. Then find some fun stuff from the examples or from the reference material and, one feature at a time, get that stuff to work.

1. What is Elixir?

Elixir is a functional, dynamically-typed programming language that runs on the Erlang virtual machine (BEAM). It was created by José Valim in 2011 and is designed for building scalable, fault-tolerant, and distributed applications.

2. What are the key features of Elixir?

Elixir has several key features, including immutable data structures, pattern matching, concurrency, and fault tolerance. It also has a syntax similar to Ruby, making it easy to learn for developers with experience in object-oriented languages.

3. How is Elixir different from other programming languages?

Elixir differs from other programming languages in several ways. It is a functional language, meaning that functions are treated as first-class citizens and state is managed through immutable data structures. It also runs on the Erlang virtual machine, making it highly performant and reliable for building distributed systems. Additionally, Elixir has built-in support for concurrency and fault tolerance, making it well-suited for building highly scalable applications.

4. What are some common use cases for Elixir?

Elixir is commonly used for building web applications, microservices, and distributed systems. It is also popular for building real-time applications, such as chat and messaging platforms, due to its built-in support for concurrency and fault tolerance. Elixir is also used for building IoT (Internet of Things) applications and for data processing and analysis.

5. How can I get started with learning Elixir?

To get started with Elixir, you can check out the official website (https://elixir-lang.org/) for tutorials, documentation, and other resources. There are also many online courses and books available for learning Elixir. Additionally, joining online communities and attending local meetups or conferences can help you connect with other Elixir developers and learn from their experiences.