New Laptop

use grep or locate then

0rthodontist
Science Advisor
Grep is much slower than spotlight, and locate doesn't do everything spotlight does. At least spotlight can look inside some files, such as those with a .txt extension. But it doesn't seem to be able to search inside source code files meaningfully. Actually I just got a third-party patch that allows it to look inside python source files... I guess I can do this on a case by case basis.

Last edited:
graphic7
Gold Member
Grep is much slower than spotlight, and locate doesn't do everything spotlight does. At least spotlight can look inside some files, such as those with a .txt extension. But it doesn't seem to be able to search inside source code files meaningfully. Actually I just got a third-party patch that allows it to look inside python source files... I guess I can do this on a case by case basis.
This is nonsense. Please increase your experience with the UNIX userland before making such, incorrect and sweeping generalizations.

$ find . -name "*.txt" -print | xargs grep <regex>

Very simple and very effective. No need for bloated, Objective-C nonsense.

Edit: Also, you should forget locate. It is not part of the SUSv3 specification, and is thus one of those silly Linuxisms that users tend to come to depend upon. Learn find, which is covered by various standards, and available on any system that remotely resembles UNIX, including Linux.

Last edited:
graphic7
Gold Member
Linux will use just as much ram as osx, u are aware that osx is based on *nix? It just uses aqua as its windowing system...
This is doubtful, as Aqua stores images of each window in memory (or video memory if you have enough of it). Most X11 servers do not do this, but unfortunately, things like Mozilla and Firefox like to store pixmaps in the X11 server.

0rthodontist
Science Advisor
This is nonsense. Please increase your experience with the UNIX userland before making such, incorrect and sweeping generalizations.

$ find . -name "*.txt" -print | xargs grep <regex>

Very simple and very effective. No need for bloated, Objective-C nonsense.

Edit: Also, you should forget locate. It is not part of the SUSv3 specification, and is thus one of those silly Linuxisms that users tend to come to depend upon. Learn find, which is covered by various standards, and available on any system that remotely resembles UNIX, including Linux.
I appreciate your info but "spotlight" is much faster than find, as it maintains its own index rather than going through every file.

This is doubtful, as Aqua stores images of each window in memory (or video memory if you have enough of it). Most X11 servers do not do this, but unfortunately, things like Mozilla and Firefox like to store pixmaps in the X11 server.
Ohh I see Mr Unix is in the house. Welcome back :smile: Anyway Yes I guess you are right...

I think a full on install of KDE and Aqua would be about the same tho??