Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New Lenses

1. Jul 2, 2006 #1
    I got new lenses today for my glasses.

It says:

Sphere:
    OD -3.75
    OS -3.75

I was walking around the mall for an hour while they made my lenses blind as a bat. :bugeye:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2006 #2

turbo

Gold Member

Holy crap! With that prescription, you should be as blind as a bat without them. At least you don't have astigmatism (expressed as a correction and an axis along which the correction must be applied). That would make it tough for you to look through a telescope without glasses, and the eye-relief of some ocular designs would be prohibitive.

4. Jul 2, 2006 #3
    Geeze! You ever hear of self-control :tongue2:

5. Jul 2, 2006 #4
    I have -4 in left eye, -3.75 in right eye.

I don't wear glasses nor contacts..... I've managed so far. I haven't worn anything in two years.....

6. Jul 2, 2006 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Put some clothes on freak... :yuck: :biggrin:

7. Jul 2, 2006 #6
    No way, I have that (well, not the left eye). If I take my glasses off I cannot see anything, and neither will you.

8. Jul 2, 2006 #7
    It's weird because I can barely see on my right eye, and left seems to be great. When I cover the left one, everything is just blurred. I can't recognize any letters nor people after look. I once paid a visit at oculist's, and he asked me to read the letters from a wall, I could see every letter in every row through left eye however I could see absolutely no letters through my right eye. He didn't give me any glasses, because as he said, I would get dizzy. So, I don' t wear glasses, but I wanted to,

9. Jul 2, 2006 #8
    Maybe you can wear a contact in one eye. Ask him.

10. Jul 2, 2006 #9
    Do you find yourself tipping your chin up all the time or do you squint alot?

11. Jul 2, 2006 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow, that's a neat trick. I didn't know you could make lenses go blind. Wouldn't it be better if they made you lenses that were able to see? :biggrin:

12. Jul 2, 2006 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: Yep, apparently your mom was right that it would make you go blind! :rofl:

13. Jul 2, 2006 #12
    I take it that you guys are offering a helping hand then?

14. Jul 2, 2006 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, if it's the guys you want to offer a hand, okay, I'll stay out of the way. :biggrin:

15. Jul 2, 2006 #14
    Oh god, I better run and hide from Arildno now....:rolleyes:

16. Jul 3, 2006 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, I'm sure he'd be willing to lend a hand if you need it. :biggrin:

17. Jul 3, 2006 #16

wolram

Gold Member

Thats a 12 out of 10 MoonB :rofl: my side hurts.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2006
  18. Jul 3, 2006 #17
    I currently (checked two years ago... so its a bit stretching the term...) got 12 in one eye, and 11.5 in the second one if i recall correctly... and i stopped wearing glasses when i was about 12 years old - at that time the numbers were 6 and 5.5 (and they made my eyes look sooo big :biggrin: )

I was able to train my eyes to see with no glasses, i can read small letters with no effort (unless im tired - then i can't read small letters, especially not in dim light).

My father has 3 for each eye, and i can see way better then he does - even when he has his glasses on.
    I am able to put any convex lense (plus sign) and see well with it too as long as it's focal length isn't smaller then 1/12.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2006
  19. Jul 3, 2006 #18
    Hyperopic people(those who require + lenses) are able to accommodate to see clearly. Many hyperopes can get out of glasses in their early teens but go back into them in their 40's when the ability to accommodate naturally declines. At that time you may find it difficult to see at distance and near without correction.
    If myopic people(those who require - lenses) accommodate while looking at a distance target it will only make things more blurry. When myopes hit the 40's they begin to notice they can read better without glasses because their eyes are naturally in focus without accommodation for near.

20. Jul 3, 2006 #19
    What do you mean 'train' your eyes. If I take my glasses off it's all a blurr.

21. Jul 3, 2006 #20
    He is "farsighted" you are "nearsighted" he can accommodate to clear his vision. You could "train" your eyes until the cows come home and never get in focus at distance. My previous post explains in more detail.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?