New Lenses for My Glasses - Blind as a Bat

• Thread starter Cyrus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lenses
In summary, the conversation is about various individuals discussing their vision prescriptions and experiences with glasses and contact lenses. One person got new lenses for their glasses and shares their prescription. Others share their own prescriptions and experiences with vision training and not wearing glasses. The conversation also touches on the topic of accommodation and how it affects vision for those with hyperopia and myopia.
I am -4.50 in my right eye and -8.00 in my left eye. When I was 2.5yrs old I was stabbed with an exacto knife in the eye!:bugeye: OUCH since then I have been through numerous surgeries and am very fortunate to not be blind. If it weren't for the great docs at the University of Utah childrens hospital I would probably be in that situation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
Not only do I find that I can no longer see clearly at close range, but I now need more light in order to see things clearly at close range. Here we go, wikipedia, the quick answer. :smile:
First off, you've already found out about presbyopia, so you know why close-range vision is deteriorating. The reason that you can see better with more light is that the more light you have reflecting off a page (for instance, if you're reading a book), the smaller your pupils get, and that sharpens your vision. When your pupils are dilated, your eyes' optical flaws are exaggerated. I found out when I was a child (an old man told me) that if there was enough light and I had difficulty seeing something, I could get a sharper view by rolling my index finger into a circle and peering through the tiny gap in the center. Try it. Though I am nearsighted, I can clearly see the leaves on the trees across the road (75' or so) and though I have a problem reading print at less than about a foot (presbyopia) I can read fine print at a distance of less than 3" - all by peeking through the gap in my index finger. Since it's not a round aperture, some distortion is induced, but if you're into that kind of perfection, you can use a hot pin to poke a hole in one of your credit cards and tuck it back in your purse. People are going to look at you funny if you're trying to look up a number in a phone directory with a credit card held up to your eye, but if you have misplaced or broken your glasses...it'll get you out of a jam.

turbo-1 said:
Though I am nearsighted, I can clearly see the leaves on the trees across the road (75' or so) and though I have a problem reading print at less than about a foot (presbyopia) I can read fine print at a distance of less than 3" - all by peeking through the gap in my index finger. Since it's not a round aperture, some distortion is induced, but if you're into that kind of perfection, you can use a hot pin to poke a hole in one of your credit cards and tuck it back in your purse. People are going to look at you funny if you're trying to look up a number in a phone directory with a credit card held up to your eye, but if you have misplaced or broken your glasses...it'll get you out of a jam.
I'm going to have to try that, ever since the Evo Child broke my tri-focals :devil: I've been dealing with my old single vision lenses and they're making me crazy.

matthew baird said:
I am -4.50 in my right eye and -8.00 in my left eye. When I was 2.5yrs old I was stabbed with an exacto knife in the eye!:bugeye: OUCH since then I have been through numerous surgeries and am very fortunate to not be blind. If it weren't for the great docs at the University of Utah childrens hospital I would probably be in that situation.
Yes, you are very lucky and you must have great parents that did what the doctors recommended.

Evo said:
I'm going to have to try that, ever since the Evo Child broke my tri-focals :devil: I've been dealing with my old single vision lenses and they're making me crazy.
How about a pair of these?:biggrin:
http://www.bernell.com/store/prodinfo.asp?number=BC1185PH&variation=&aitem=2&mitem=5"
http://www.bernell.com/store/images/BC1185PH.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
that's very interesting, i wonder why pinhole sunglasses are so rare if they give better resolution then normal sunglasses for hyperopia/myopia...
you can't drive with them, but they seem better for main use in the outdoors...

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/toolsforwellnesscom_1903_3429430

or better yet:
redstbarts.jpg

http://www.myopia.org/sunglasses.htm

fargoth said:
that's very interesting, i wonder why pinhole sunglasses are so rare if they give better resolution then normal sunglasses for hyperopia/myopia...
If you have every photographed through a pinhole aperture (I have one for my OM-1) you will know that the images are "soft". You will not have great visual acuity with pinhole sunglasses, just a bit better than with no correction at all. If you already see well with no corrective lenses, looking through pinhole sunglasses will give you less visual acuity, not more.

Safety tip: do NOT buy cheap sunglasses that don't have good UV protection. They will allow your pupils to dilate due to the reduced amount of visible light, and that will allow a lot more UV into your eyes than if you had worn no sunglasses at all. This is especially important for little kids - do not buy them cute "novelty" sunglasses unless you are confident that they supply good UV protection - their pupils can dilate much larger than yours can.

fargoth said:

The pinhole has to be lined up exactly so the image through it lines up with the http://www.tedmontgomery.com/the_eye/macula.html" . Otherwise the image is still out of focus. If the object of regard moves or if you move, then the image is out of focus until you realign the pinhole with the fovea. Like Turbo said, the image is fuzzy around the edges of the pinhole, even when you do get it aligned.