New macroscopic entanglement

In summary, a recent study published in Physical Review Letters has shown that 1 x 10E12 atoms in a 2.2cm cube have been successfully entangled and maintained their entanglement for an hour despite being 0.5m apart. This is significant progress in the field of quantum computing, and may have implications for the debate surrounding quantum computing in the brain. However, some argue that the interpretation of this as "macroscopic entanglement" is exaggerated. This does not bring us closer to teleportation of macroscopic objects.
Physics news on Phys.org
phy is my best subject.

Dang, you beat me to it (starting a thread on this). All I have to say is, "WOW".

So I wonder if the defenders (Like Penrose) of quantum computing in the brain will have something to say about this. Till now the counterargument has been that the brain is too hot: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_mind

Last edited:
Have you maybe got the free copy of the article as it was published in PRL?
I found only draft (http://arxiv.org/abs/1006.4344) - published on arXiv a year ago, but as you read it - there is nothing to get excited by, really.
Its interpretation as "macroscopic entanglement" is pretty exaggerated.

I hate to beat a dead horse or hijack this thread, but does this move us any closer to teleportation (quantum or otherwise) of macroscopic objects?

1. What is "New macroscopic entanglement"?

"New macroscopic entanglement" refers to a phenomenon where large-scale objects, such as everyday objects in our visible world, become entangled or interconnected through quantum mechanical processes.

2. How is "New macroscopic entanglement" different from traditional quantum entanglement?

Traditional quantum entanglement involves the entanglement of subatomic particles, while "New macroscopic entanglement" involves the entanglement of larger objects that are visible to the naked eye.

3. What are the potential applications of "New macroscopic entanglement"?

The potential applications of "New macroscopic entanglement" include quantum computing, secure communication, and improved sensing and measurement techniques.

4. How is "New macroscopic entanglement" being studied by scientists?

Scientists are studying "New macroscopic entanglement" through experiments involving larger objects, such as vibrating membranes, and by developing theoretical models to understand the behavior of these entangled systems.

5. What are the challenges in studying "New macroscopic entanglement"?

One of the main challenges in studying "New macroscopic entanglement" is maintaining the delicate quantum state of the entangled objects, as they can easily become decohered or lose their entangled state due to interactions with their environment.