Which Fish Would You Prefer to be Slapped With?

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Member Poll
In summary: I see that flounder has pulled ahead. Is this because of Enuma's poisonous remarks about sea bass?Since winter has engulfed us once again, I would prefer that the slaps be with summery fish. Having a beer or two in the bay snagging a few flounder, grilling them with some vegetables, and eating them with fried potatoes, salads, etc... no that's not good...I see that flounder has pulled ahead. Is this because of Enuma's poisonous remarks about sea bass?Yes, I believe that's what has caused the shift in popularity. I think people are hesitant to slap fish that may have been harmed in the making.

Which fish/item would you prefer to be slapped with?

• Halibut

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Flounder (fresh)

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Flounder (frozen)

• Shad

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Octopus

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Herring

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Sea Bass

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Shark

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Blubber

• Pickle

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Which fish would you prefer to be slapped with?

Physics news on Phys.org
I snapped on the thread expecting a genuine poll, with color bars. :smile: But, alas...

hmm.. I am surprised it posted before I finshed the poll..

Armored catfish.

Slapping newcomers with exotic fish is a better alternative than releasing them in the wild.

In fact, come to think of it, we probably shouldn't release exotic fish into the wild, either. http://nas.er.usgs.gov/taxgroup/fish/docs/dont_rel.asp

Oh, wait. The poll just posted and armored catfish isn't one of the options. Never mind.

BobG said:
Armored catfish.

Slapping newcomers with exotic fish is a better alternative than releasing them in the wild.

In fact, come to think of it, we probably shouldn't release exotic fish into the wild, either. http://nas.er.usgs.gov/taxgroup/fish/docs/dont_rel.asp

Oh, wait. The poll just posted and armored catfish isn't one of the options. Never mind.

I've heard of Armoured Hotdogs, but never Armoured Catfish.

The only "armor" I want on my catfish is deep-fried cornmeal batter.

I see Sea Bass has taken an early lead.

Evo said:

We do always seem to run out of it.

Octopus as long as one gets hit by the head end (its nice and squishy) and not the tenticle end.

I heard there is a youtube video of an octopus eating a shark at the Seattle Aquarium. We might need to rethink octopus. I'd hate to have a new member eaten during their welcome ceremony.

Evo said:
Yes, and they can also contain dangerous levels of mercury. :biggrin:

EnumaElish said:
Yes, and they can also contain dangerous levels of mercury. :biggrin:
No... I love sea bass. :frown:

Enuma, have you been properly fish slapped, or did you sneak in through the upper forum?

My first two choices (snapper and grouper) weren't there so I went with the 3rd (flounder).

EnumaElish said:
My first two choices (snapper and grouper) weren't there so I went with the 3rd (flounder).
Your not supposed to eat red snapper ( my favorite) because they've been over fished. Now they try to sell you something called "redfish". :grumpy:

Herring...they're very small. A bit oily, sure, but I can shower afterward.

Evo said:
No... I love sea bass. :frown:

Enuma, have you been properly fish slapped, or did you sneak in through the upper forum?
http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~frf/seamehg2.html [Broken] says a Chilean sea bass measured in 2004 had one of the highest Mercury levels ever recorded in fish (2.18). Other measurements of sea bass are lower; it looks like as a group swordfish tops all.

And, no, I was never properly slapped. :disappointed:

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
Your not supposed to eat red snapper ( my favorite) because they've been over fished.
No wonder they told me to "beet it" when I ordered one. :biggrin:

<WHAP>

I used the raw flounder, I hope that was your choice. :smile:

You are now officially a PF member.

Evo said:
<WHAP>

I used the raw flounder, I hope that was your choice. :smile:

You are now officially a PF member.
That hit the spot...

May I have another one?

lisab said:
Herring...they're very small. A bit oily, sure, but I can shower afterward.

That's the spirit! :approve:

*slaps lisab with a tenny tiny little herring* fwip fwip fwip fwip

EnumaElish said:
That hit the spot...

May I have another one?
Get him MIH!

heh

<FWWWZZAP!>

That was an electric eel! :smile:

Ouch!

MIH, that was painful!

But also (somewhat) pleasurable :guilty:

I was saving that eel for a special occasion. :smile:

You people are strange...

Slap me not with naught but the kyoyto ninespine stickleback.

jimmysnyder said:
Slap me not with naught but the kyoyto ninespine stickleback.

http://www.sfu.ca/~smgray/images/index.3.jpg [Broken]

ouch! :bugeye:

NeoDevin said:
You people are strange...

Mom says I'm special. :cool:

I chose fresh flounder because they are flexible, thin, and very wide and give a satisfying "SMACK!"

While I perfer the sharp sting of the frozen flounder, then you can use said fish to keep the swelling down:approve:

hypatia said:
While I perfer the sharp sting of the frozen flounder, then you can use said fish to keep the swelling down:approve:
A very wise choice.

I see that flounder has pulled ahead. Is this because of Enuma's poisonous remarks about sea bass?

Last edited:
hypatia said:
You are always so practical! Do we get to enjoy the resounding "SLAP" of a fresh flounder, or do we employ the pain-reducing cold of the frozen? Such a quandary!

If I were warm, I could withstand the smack with about any of them (PLEAAAASE, no Portuguese man of war!), and a follow-up application of ice to dull the pain.

Since winter has engulfed us once again, I would prefer that the slaps be with summery fish. Having a beer or two in the bay snagging a few flounder, grilling them with some vegetables, and eating them with fried potatoes, salads, etc... no that's not good food.

I voted for the octopus, because I think that even if it is forced to assault me, we could still become friends.

Evo said:
I heard there is a youtube video of an octopus eating a shark at the Seattle Aquarium. We might need to rethink octopus. I'd hate to have a new member eaten during their welcome ceremony.

Maybe that's what happens to those ones who post once to introduce themselves and then never return again after the fish whacking ceremony!

I suppose the flounder would hurt less then the rest... Definitely not the shark!

Japanese sushi lovers shrug at mercury

But seriously folks...

By MARI YAMAGUCHI, Associated Press Writer

TOKYO - Kazuhiro Ukiuchi loves his tuna sushi, and he tries to have it once a week — despite the common knowledge in Japan the popular fish can contain toxic mercury.

Recent reports about high mercury levels in tuna served at ubiquitous sushi restaurants in New York have been met with a collective yawn in Japan, the world's undisputed sushi capital.

Rules ban many types of seafood if the concentration of mercury exceeds 0.4 parts per million. The limit is 0.3 ppm for mercury's more dangerous derivative, methylmercury.

The restriction was set in the 1970s after outbreaks of industrial mercury poisoning in the southern town of Minamata that sickened thousands and caused hideous birth defects in the 1950s and 60s.

Victims fought for more than a decade before the government and the Chisso Corp., which contaminated fishing grounds, acknowledged the poisoning and provided widespread compensation.

Traces of mercury, which also occurs naturally, are found in nearly all fish and shellfish. The substance builds up in the animals as they feed on other fish and shellfish, so larger predator fish that have lived longer generally have higher levels.

Despite the absence of any restrictions on mercury in tuna, officials periodically check the fish.

The New York Times, in a story published Thursday, reported that eight of 44 pieces of sushi sampled from local restaurants and stores had mercury concentrations over 1 ppm, a level the paper reported would allow the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to take the fish off the market.

"I would think tuna sushi is much better than fast food," said Ukiuchi. "I'd have to be really unlucky if I die from eating tuna sushi."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080125/ap_on_re_as/japan_tainted_tuna [Broken]

<h2>1. What is the purpose of being slapped with a fish in a scientific experiment?</h2><p>The purpose of being slapped with a fish in a scientific experiment is to study the effects of impact and force on the human body. This can provide valuable information for understanding how different objects and materials can cause injury or pain.</p><h2>2. How do scientists choose which fish to use in this experiment?</h2><p>Scientists typically choose fish that are readily available and have a similar size and weight to the average human hand. They also consider the texture and shape of the fish, as well as any potential safety concerns.</p><h2>3. Are there any ethical concerns with using fish in this experiment?</h2><p>There may be ethical concerns with using live fish in this experiment, as it could cause harm or distress to the animal. To address this, some scientists use synthetic fish or fish that have already died of natural causes.</p><h2>4. What safety precautions are taken during this experiment?</h2><p>To ensure the safety of both the subject and the experimenter, safety precautions such as wearing protective gear and conducting the experiment in a controlled environment are taken. The fish used are also typically not sharp or dangerous in any way.</p><h2>5. What are the potential findings from this experiment?</h2><p>The potential findings from this experiment could include the amount of force and impact needed to cause pain or injury, the differences in impact between different types of fish, and the effects of repeated impacts on the human body.</p>

1. What is the purpose of being slapped with a fish in a scientific experiment?

The purpose of being slapped with a fish in a scientific experiment is to study the effects of impact and force on the human body. This can provide valuable information for understanding how different objects and materials can cause injury or pain.

2. How do scientists choose which fish to use in this experiment?

Scientists typically choose fish that are readily available and have a similar size and weight to the average human hand. They also consider the texture and shape of the fish, as well as any potential safety concerns.

3. Are there any ethical concerns with using fish in this experiment?

There may be ethical concerns with using live fish in this experiment, as it could cause harm or distress to the animal. To address this, some scientists use synthetic fish or fish that have already died of natural causes.

4. What safety precautions are taken during this experiment?

To ensure the safety of both the subject and the experimenter, safety precautions such as wearing protective gear and conducting the experiment in a controlled environment are taken. The fish used are also typically not sharp or dangerous in any way.

5. What are the potential findings from this experiment?

The potential findings from this experiment could include the amount of force and impact needed to cause pain or injury, the differences in impact between different types of fish, and the effects of repeated impacts on the human body.