Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New member introduction

1. May 25, 2013 #1
    Greetings and salutations. Newbie checking in.

I was directed here by google. I'm working on a project, and the math and physics are beyond my training. This turned out to be a cool resource, so I signed up. So far the search function has served me well, but when I get in trouble, you guys will be the first to know.

btw - I read in the forum rules that you don't allow members to discuss what I interpret to mean "crackpot guesswork physics". Can anyone recommend a cool place to discuss topics such as the fact that stars don't emit light; but instead, they suck darkness?

Thanks, I appreciate it.

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2013 #2
    Welcome to the forum! What's the project on? What type of math and physics do they need?

I sure hope not.

4. May 25, 2013 #3
    If you're looking to talk about crack-pot, loony ideas, you'll need to find another forum.

5. May 25, 2013 #4
    It was a joke.

The degree of funniness of the joke is directly proportional to how many newbies get kicked out because they came here to share ideas like "stars suck darkness". Of course, that figure is purely an estimate. Would you like the formula?

6. May 25, 2013 #5

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I didn't find it funny...

7. May 25, 2013 #6
    I'm working with a purely capacitive high-freq compound signal. Quantum mechanics is involved. The application is confidential...

...because you guys won't let me talk about how nuclear fusion is like a magnet for darkness (which is why stars turn into "black holes" once they're full). :wink:

8. May 25, 2013 #7
    Strangely, I was amused by this post. I'm going to explain why...

In my original post, I acknowledged the rule against discussing alternative untested theories by using the term "crackpot guesswork physics". Then I asked where I could discuss these types of topics, which implies that I'm not going to discuss alternative untested theories here.

So, marcusl, at no time were you ever in danger of dealing with such monkeyshines. But you still didn't find it funny, and you actually took the time to mention your displeasure. THAT'S funny!

9. May 25, 2013 #8
    I can already tell that you're going to be popular.

10. May 26, 2013 #9
    I knew that when I signed up. I'm pleased at how quickly this thread went into a tailspin due to a lack of attention to detail by the respondents. This is going to be fun!

11. May 26, 2013 #10
    Actually I couldn't tell it was a joke either. Thing is, people on PF are a bit jumpy when it comes to crackpots; we can't stand it at all, and so react to even the slightest hint of it. Or may be that's just me (and that guy up there).

12. May 26, 2013 #11
    here's a crank forum,

[noparse]http://www.physforum.com/index.php?act=idx[/noparse]

you can discuss your thought there if you want.
    it's welcomed there.

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2013
  13. May 26, 2013 #12
    Every forum has the thing that makes people jumpy. The first forum I ever joined was a gearhead forum for motorcycle riders. Your hated "crackpot theories" here are equivalent to their "oil discussions". (We were forbidden to discuss oil, other than how and when to change it.)

Let me ask you, do you think that members of that forum got jumpy when someone asked what type of oil they should put in their brand new motorcycle, or when to switch from conventional to synthetic?

Nobody ever gets the jokes, and everyone is jumpy about something. Why do you think that I opened the way that I did? And here you are telling me that you weren't paying attention either, as though this fact was a mystery to me or something.

Do you know the difference between smart mathematicians and dumb gearheads when it comes to mild sarcasm and/or dry humor involving their pet peeve? The use of proper grammar in their replies.

14. May 26, 2013 #13
    I love you guys!!! Thank you for not paying attention! This is awesome!

15. May 26, 2013 #14
    or i meant " new idea " forum.

and i'm not sure what you meant by " not paying attention ",
    could you explain this please ?

16. May 26, 2013 #15

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Ha! Hahahahaha!

That reminds me of the time my bartender told me we don't suck things through straws. He told me that the force of atmospheric pressure pushed the liquid into our mouths.

I laughed at him too.

But I'll ask dad if he thinks your joke is funny. You know what they say; "Father knows best". :tongue2:

17. May 26, 2013 #16

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Ha! Hahahahaha!

You kids are cracking me up today.

What do you get when you cross a Humanino with an Evo?

pf.what.do.you.get.when.you.cross.a.humanino.with.an.evo.jpg

Humanevo!

------------------------
    ps. Btw, I do not know how I got my badge. The forum members must have been drunk that week, and probably should have gone home.

18. May 26, 2013 #17
    I wasn't looking for a "new idea" forum. I don't have any crackpot theories I wish to discuss. The whole thing was a joke. I went into great detail to explain the joke.

And you gave me a link to a site where I can discuss something that I repeatedly called "a joke" after my initial post. Now, at first I thought that you might have been ripping on the other forum as a joke reply to my joke post. But then I read the description for one of the areas on their board:

"Discuss here the most attractive and mysterious physics areas. Post here your ideas and thoughts, which might look weird at the moment. Who knows how it's going to be 100 years from now!"

That tells me that over there I could actually bring up the concept that nuclear fusion attracts darkness until the star is full and becomes a black hole. This is the stupidest thing that's ever come out of my mouth...in the past 24 hours anyhow.

That's why I thanked you for not paying attention. Because you gave me a link to a place to discuss topics I do not wish to discuss.

19. May 26, 2013 #18
    I never thought of that! Wow, that guy must be a genius! Is there a thread I can follow? If not, will you please start one?!

20. May 26, 2013 #19
    *Smacks theChosen1 in the face with a fish as hard as he can for lack of humor.*

21. May 27, 2013 #20
    You'd be pretty "jumpy" too, if you had to deal with the amounts of crackpots we get coming through. If this place wasn't moderated, the lunatics would be running the asylum.

Anyway, welcome to the forum.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook