Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New Member Introductions

1. Sep 9, 2011 #1
    First post, hello everyone.

On many forums there is a New Member Introductions thread usually located in the Forum Feedback section, so I thought I might kick one off here. [Mentors: I did search the forum a bit, but if I missed the dedicated thread for this, pls forgive my noob mistake and just merge this into the proper thread.]

My handle is Hlafordlaes, which is Old English for "lordless," meaning no sworn loyalties. Old English Hlaford is derived from "loaf-guard," as presumably a clan or feudal lord would be the one dispensing the bread. At any rate, for me the handle fits my desire to forswear loyalty to anything but truth and reason.

I am mostly concerned with building an informed world view and debunking my cognitive biases, which in spite of great effort do sort of linger, like a bad cold. I come to PF from another forum which is limited to fewer areas of science, and lacking in a general discussion area, so I am hopeful PF will prove to be a nice improvement. I also like what I've read of the rules, yet hope there may be some small leeway for newcomers who may inadvertently step slightly out of bounds (not that I wish to engage knowingly in any misbehavior).

And one question while on rules: one cannot reveal one's city of residence, is that correct? That's something that might be germane at some point in a general discussion of events around the world, so I'd like that clarified if possible.

I look forward to meeting all the regulars in the forums.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2011 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the forum.

Up to you. We prefer people to not post their detailed private information and emails, but - for example - it is not a secret I live near Warsaw, Poland. Just be careful to not give out too much, as whatever is posted will stay on server HDD and in people's memory forever, you don't want to regret it one day.

Soon you will be asked about your favorite fish, prepare some non trivial answer to this question.

4. Sep 9, 2011 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Great, a new [STRIKE]victim[/STRIKE] member.

Hi Hlafordlaes!! :smile:

I'm sure you'll love it here.

Soooooooo, you got a fondness for a special type of fish??

5. Sep 9, 2011 #4

jtbell

We don't have a dedicated thread for introductions, but people are welcome to start threads to introduce themselves in the General Discussion forum (where I've moved this thread to).

6. Sep 9, 2011 #5
    What's with the fish business?

At any rate, it's gotta be tuna. My mother raised me on tuna sandwiches in my school lunch bag (quite some decades back.) And if you really want to know, I really dislike most cooked fish, but love sushi. All that, and Maryland soft shell crabs with fresh cooked corn on the cob.

7. Sep 9, 2011 #6

Borek

Sushi slapping would be something new.

8. Sep 9, 2011 #7

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Ooh, let's try

*slaps Hlafordlaes with sushi*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1xfp6Xeu0c

9. Sep 9, 2011 #8
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  10. Sep 9, 2011 #9

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Begin the fish slapping hazing.

11. Sep 15, 2011 #10
    Hi All,
    I am a new member of this forum and excited to be a member of PF forum as I found many informative threats here. I will try to be active here and hope to make some friends also.

12. Sep 15, 2011 #11

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A very warm welcome, Barclay.

Although I don't usually form part of the welcoming party, I believe that protocol dictates I ask you what is you favourite fish?

13. Sep 15, 2011 #12

Borek

Please report them, as they can be against forum rules.

14. Sep 15, 2011 #13

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Dammit! Can't believe that I missed a spammer. My spidey-sense must be on the blink today.

15. Sep 15, 2011 #14
    i'm new and i don't know how to post but my question was if i have a giant circular accelerator accelerating a metal slug can i raise the slugs kinetic energy to higher than the energy applied by any one of the magnets in the accelerator?

16. Sep 15, 2011 #15

jtbell

Click on the "New Topic" button at the top of the list of threads (topics) in a forum. Click on the attached picture to see where this button is. I suggest you use the Classical Physics forum for this particular question.

Attached Files:

17. Sep 16, 2011 #16
    i'm sorry to be such a dunce but i had a question, i asked it here and was advised to ask it under the general physics category and everybody seems to be in this elite group that doesen't want to answer with just a simple answer but to answer with examples that give me no clue what the answer to my question is. i described the question in as clear a format as i could but i don't seem to be getting through. i'm not a physicist i'm a science fiction writer that wants to be correct in describing a weapon system on a science fiction spaceship and there is something i just don't know, please help

18. Sep 16, 2011 #17

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The reason that people may not have been as helpful as you hoped is that you tagged your question onto to someone else's thread. This is known as thread hijacking and considered rude. Now that you've started your own thread, I'm sure you'll get all the information you need.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook