1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New member = lotsa ?'s

1. Jun 24, 2004 #1
    i know i've only been on for couple of months, but i was always afraid of asking for help. thanks to this site, i now understand all of this theory stuff!

?'s

prove that [alpha] + [alpha + 1/3] + [alpha + 2/3] = [3 alpha] for all reals alpha.

prove [alpha] + [beta] <= [alpha + beta] alpha/beta are real.

i honestly do not know what to do for these, could anyone provide a beacon of light???

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2004 #2
    And what does [alpha] mean? Can't be the absolute value of alpha, since none of those statements are true then.

4. Jun 24, 2004 #3

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

i suspect it means floor. the second on requires no proof being quite obvious, the first one, hmm, i can't think of anything other than a brute force way of doing it; someone must be able to spot a nice argument for it. In case 1+1=1 is wondering, the brute force method is to let alpha = n+r where r is a number in the interval [0,1) there are then three cases to consider, r in [0,1/3), [1/3,2/3) and [2/3,1) and so that [alpha]=n.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2004
  5. Jun 24, 2004 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1. Consider x - [x] in [0,1/3) , [1/3, 2/3) and [2/3, 1) and prove separately for each case. Perhaps this is what matt means by 'brute force'...

2. The "no proof" for this could be done by writing alpha = N + n, where N is an integer and n is in [0,1).

EDIT : Didn't read matt's post completely - this is redundant.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2004
  6. Jun 24, 2004 #5
    sorry all as i said i am new and i still need to do A LOT of clarifying. the [] means the greatest integer. as far as the brute force, that is the least painful way of doing this? i appreciate all of this! yes i do understand the brute force method.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?