What is the effect of pressure on the entropy of CO2 gas?

• Thread starter rancam
  • Start date
In summary, as pressure increases, the entropy of CO2 gas decreases due to the decrease in the number of microstates available for the molecules to occupy. This leads to a more ordered and less chaotic system, resulting in a decrease in entropy. Conversely, as pressure decreases, the entropy of CO2 gas increases due to the increase in the number of microstates available, resulting in a more disordered and higher entropy system. This relationship between pressure and entropy is described by the second law of thermodynamics.
rancam
Hi,I'm a new member,both to this site and to physics.My interest is gases (specifically CO2) under pressure,and how how pressure affects their properties.At 65 years I don,t have the time to build up the requisite knowledge and math to thoroughly study this subject,so I appreciate any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi @rancam which properties in particular are you interested in regarding CO2 (and why)? If you're interested in purely how pressure affects this gas have a look at this diagram; find your temperature, move across to your pressure and it will give you it's phase.

qtBIl.png

It probably goes without saying that there's a load of great info in Wiki for CO2 as well :-)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_dioxide

Best regards
Matt

The properties I would like to calculate are temperature,enthalpy and entropy,but especially entropy. Here's some more background info.The one third of a stroke takes one third of a second.I have a book on CO2 properties over a wide range of pressures and temperatures.According to it the properties of CO2 at 670 psi (which is 47.2 bar in IS units) is -42 j/kg/k.At the end of one third of the stroke the pressure is still 670 psi because some of the gas has expanded into the far cylinder while the remainder is being being compressed by the piston.I want to know whether the remaining gas will have (although I would prefer to calculate it) lower,higher, or the same entropy.I thought maybe I could look up these properties for the gas as if there was expansion and no compression,(which would bring the pressure down to 34.85 bar) and then the properties as if there was compression and no expansion (which would bring the pressure up to 56.6 bar) and then take an average of the two sets of properties,but I thought I should ask an expert first.