Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New member thrilled with conversations here

1. Feb 22, 2015 #1
    Hello, I am bluepanishlady and I joined this forum yesterday. I quite enjoy reading all the posts and troubling through some of the questions and problems posed. It is really cool that so many different topics are discussed here.

It is also heartwarming to see so many young people interested and involved in the sciences. I am an older lady myself who has never lost interest in the sciences. As a kid I was a member of the school science club and now grownup I frequently use my garden as a teaching tool for kids walking by who take an interest in the flowers and vegetables and how things grow and are interrelated in nature. I read and am basically interested or curious about almost everything. (I have never suffered from boredom) Science and physics give structure to my understanding of how things work and interact. I am very happy to have discovered this physics forum.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2015 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Hi bluespanishlady. Welcome to PF. I don't think we have a vegetable growing thread, but among the myriad other threads there is sure to be much to hold your interest. :smile:

Yes, science is inescapable. I think for many school children the complexity of technology and science can seem too overwhelming to seriously entertain the idea that they might someday join the ranks of science researchers.

Good luck with your gardening. I've found that the yellow lady beetles with just a few spots are great devourers of mildew on leaf plants. :smile: (That's the yellow ones, not the orange one with many small spots.)

4. Feb 22, 2015 #3

Evo

5. Feb 22, 2015 #4

NascentOxygen

6. Feb 25, 2015 #5

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

And don't ignore "The Food Thread". I recently retired, and need all the help I can get. :blushing:

7. Mar 10, 2015 #6
    Hello everyone. I'm a new member here. I hope to learn a lot here. :)

8. Mar 10, 2015 #7

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Hello, Nicolele, and welcome.
    Be careful what you wish for, some people learn more than they bargain for.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook