Prepare for National Physics Olympiad in India: Tips for High School Students

In summary: I am thinking about taking a Linear Algebra course in college).In summary, the books you listed are great resources for preparing for an International Physics Olympiad. However, you can start with University Physics by Young and Freedman if you are still struggling with calculus-intensive problems.
Ujjwal Basumatary
I am a new member here and decided to join Physics Forums to get help to prepare for Physics Olympiads. I am a high school sophomore. Going to be a junior soon. I have taken advanced Math classes via MIT OCW and the internet. I am also proficient with Mechanics, but nothing international Olympiad-level. Please suggest some decent material and books so that I can prepare for my country's (India) national Physics Olympiad (known as the INPhO). I know enough Math equivalent to standard Calculus 1 and 2 courses.

P.S. Also suggest methods of preparing efficiently, please. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Ujjwal Basumatary:smile:

Likes Ujjwal Basumatary
Ujjwal Basumatary said:
I am a new member here and decided to join Physics Forums to get help to prepare for Physics Olympiads. I am a high school sophomore. Going to be a junior soon. I have taken advanced Math classes via MIT OCW and the internet. I am also proficient with Mechanics, but nothing international Olympiad-level. Please suggest some decent material and books so that I can prepare for my country's (India) national Physics Olympiad (known as the INPhO). I know enough Math equivalent to standard Calculus 1 and 2 courses.

P.S. Also suggest methods of preparing efficiently, please. Thank you.
Welcome to the PF.

Please have a look at the "Similar Discussions" threads listed at the bottom of the page. That should give you some good initial ideas. Then you can do a further forum search to find all of the previous threads discussing this subject.

Enjoy the PF, and best of luck at the Olympiad! :smile:

Likes Ujjwal Basumatary
How to be good at physics olympiads, and physics in general starts with applying your knowledge, in other words doing a lot of problems. Here are some books I used for that:

1. Irodov Problems In General Physics.
2. Past IPhO exam papers (all are online).
3. USAPhO papers (on the USAPhO website), F=ma exams there are a good beginning.
4. Physics Coaching Class Series, Problems and Solutions on Mechanics: Major American Universities PhD Questions...
5. Princeton Problems in Physics with solutions.
6. Other PhD Quals problems

Many of 4-5-6 is overkill for IPhO, but they have a lot of problems that can be solved with high school physics+ solid calculus/diffEQ knowledge.

For the theory part, here are some books with increasing level of sophistication
1. Halliday Resnick.
2. Kleppner & Kolenkow.
3. David Morin Introduction to Classical Mechanics.
4. Griffiths E&M.

Likes berkeman and Vatsal Goyal
I have started with University Physics by Young and Freedman to refresh my basics. Can I directly take on Irodov and Krotov after being done with the theory from University Physics? I can do the easier 'algebraic' problems without effort but I am still trying to decide about the calculus-intensive parts.

1. What is a Physics Olympiad?

A Physics Olympiad is an international competition for high school students interested in physics. It aims to challenge and recognize students' knowledge and problem-solving skills in physics.

2. How can I become a member of the Physics Olympiad team?

To become a member of the Physics Olympiad team, you must first participate in and do well in your national Physics Olympiad competition. If you are selected for the national team, you will then compete in the International Physics Olympiad against students from other countries.

3. What are the benefits of being a member of the Physics Olympiad?

Being a member of the Physics Olympiad can provide many benefits, such as developing problem-solving and critical thinking skills, gaining recognition for your academic achievements, and networking with other students and professionals in the field of physics.

4. How can I prepare for the Physics Olympiad?

To prepare for the Physics Olympiad, you should have a strong understanding of physics concepts, practice solving challenging problems, and stay updated on current events and developments in the field of physics. You can also join study groups or attend training camps to improve your skills.

5. Is participating in the Physics Olympiad worth it?

Participating in the Physics Olympiad can be a rewarding experience, whether or not you win a medal. It can help you develop important skills and knowledge, and can also be a valuable addition to your academic resume. Plus, it can be a fun and challenging way to explore your passion for physics!