Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1. Jun 23, 2016 #1
    Hello all,
    My name is Jeremy and I am a 21 year old student in community college. I am at the beginning of my path as a physics major and am always looking for more knowledge and insight. I am working on my transfer degree and, once I earn my BA, I want to go on to graduate school to pursue a PhD in astrophysics. I am a first generation student in my family so if anyone has any advice, I am always appreciative of that. I look forward to being a part of this community.
    Best,
    Jeremy

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2016 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Welcome to the forum Jeremy. Are you taking any physics course this semester?

Advice:
    study hard
    the professor is always right
    work a lot of the problems in the books to get used to the math manipulations
    always make sure your units cancel properly. Don't do the math without the units.
    stay out of trouble.
    wash behind your ears

4. Jun 23, 2016 #3
    Haha thanks for the advice! And I am not currently taking any physics courses since the series I need to do doesn't start until fall term. I have only recently decided on my path and that was all thanks to a very influential astronomy professor. Right now I am taking 16 credits for summer term and have been trying to get my math up to speed. At the moment I am taking integral calculus.

5. Jun 23, 2016 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well good luck. We've got some great math guys here so if you need help, just ask. Make sure to use the template for homework problems. This is a forum where the rules are actually taken seriously.

6. Jun 23, 2016 #5
    Thank you very much. I will definitely be needing help from time to time. I am not only new to this forum, but to any forum. Are there any rules I should keep in mind while on this forum? Or a thread that explains them?

7. Jun 23, 2016 #6

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Look under INFO. You were pointed there when you got an email after signing up.

8. Jun 23, 2016 #7

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Uuhm, no. Professors make mistakes a lot of times, both on subject level as on pedagogical level. And they're not always willing to admit those mistakes.
    You should definitely trust your professors, but it should never be blind trust. Professors can be wrong and often are. It is the nature of science that you can figure out for yourself when they are wrong and when they are not.

Kip Thorne on the Feynman lectures:

9. Jun 24, 2016 #8
    A very valid point that I would have to agree with. I have always taken issue with believing someone on their word alone. That is funny that you referenced that book. I just started reading the new millennium edition of the first volume the other day. It is a very interesting book and Feynman does a great job at conveying the information without it becoming dry.

10. Jun 24, 2016 #9

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The Feynman lectures are a favorite of many members here. Even physics professors learn a lot from the Feynman lectures every day. They're a brilliant piece of writing. Make sure to visit our textbook section if you're hungry for other books!

11. Jun 24, 2016 #10

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

You completely miss the point of my comment. I agree w/ you of course, but what I meant was that ARGUING with your professor is not likely to be good for you (and for the very reason you mention; they are not always willing to admit their mistakes).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted