New mobile version of pf

1. I absolutely HATE it!

2. jcsd
  3. Well explained and precise. Excellent feedback!

4. Greg Bernhardt

Staff: Admin

haha yeah me too. curious what device you are using?

5. Dembadon

Dembadon 662
    Gold Member

Posts like this are extremely frustrating. Do you have anything constructive to add, or are you just venting?

Edit:
    Please forgive my sharp response. We've had an unusual abundance of condescending emails and phone calls today from clients with the typical "It doesn't work" feedback.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  6. Greg Bernhardt

thanks Dembadon, but it's ok :smile: i'm just playing with things at the moment

7. Moonbear

Moonbear 12,266
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: I guess at least now you know at least one person besides yourself uses it.

8. I was not aware that we have a new moblie version... What is it through? Are you making an App for like the iPhone/iPod?

9. iPhone
    it's all back to normal now... Phew!

10. Just to respond to some of the comments: believe me if you had seen PF last night you wouldn't need any exlanation! I guess it was broken whereas I thought it was just some new terrible version :-)
    relief...

11. Greg Bernhardt

what do you think of the new version?

12. Prefered the old one by far but it's probably bearable now. It was perfect before though....
    :-(

13. What device are you on?
    I think for a lot of mobile users it will be a good thing but for me I feel a massive step back.

14. Greg Bernhardt

Iphone. Using the normal skin it was impossible to see anything. It loaded slowly and you had to zoom in and scroll everywhere.

15. Moonbear

Moonbear 12,266
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do those gizmos have a way to do a screen capture so the rest of us can see what this mobile version looks like? I'm just nosey. :biggrin:

16. Greg Bernhardt

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Moonbear

Moonbear 12,266
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Cool! I'm going to have to ask my students how good the service is around here for iPhones. A bunch of them have them and now that I publish all my lectures as podcasts for them, they actually use them to review the lectures. I was impressed with the quality of the images on them, and they look really easy to use. I just don't know how good AT&T's service is around here. But, if I can get my PF fix from an iPhone, it's yet another check in the column in favor of getting one.

18. I liked the old version, but the new is way easier to read and see. Well done Greg! :biggrin:

19. Hi.

I noticed it today.
    Looks like now my device is automatically detected as 'mobile' and I am transferred to the mobile version.

Is it possible to use the non-mobile version on my phone?
    I am asking because I have XPERIA X1 with 480x800 screen, so I didnt have any problems before with a regular version

Regards

20. Greg Bernhardt

yes, there is a link at the bottom that says "use normal view"

21. DaleSpam

Staff: Mentor

I use PF on a blackberry a lot. I like the readability of the new version, easy to see and scroll around. Also, the pages load pretty fast. However, the navigation is problematic. For example, from the "Forum Feedback & Announcements" page I cannot tell if there is another post after mine in this thread. To check that I actually have to load the thread. Then it drops me onto the first page so I have to load each successive page until the last. Only then can I tell if there was another post after mine or if all of the clicks were in vain. I would make the following recommendations:

1) keep the layout
    2) at the forum level identify the last poster
    3) have, at a minimum, a link to the first and last page

This could be done e.g. by
    "Name of Thread" "Last post by Someone"
    Where "Name of Thread" links to the first page and "Last post by Someone" links to the last page.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?