New mobile version of pf

• Thread starter Molydood
  • Start date

fuzzyfelt

Gold Member
Could just be me and it isn't a big deal, but it is hard to know how many pfians claim Argentine origins or their view of whether Leonardo or Newton was the better thinker as the polls don't seem to show up. And I also don't seem to be able to look back to check this post made sense so will submit anyway. (iPhone)

Could just be me and it isn't a big deal, but it is hard to know how many pfians claim Argentine origins or their view of whether Leonardo or Newton was the better thinker as the polls don't seem to show up. And I also don't seem to be able to look back to check this post made sense so will submit anyway. (iPhone)
oh yeah, that is another thing I just noticed too; once you start typing into the quick quote box, you can't actually scroll back up to re-read what you have written, whereas you could before (iphone)

oh yeah, that is another thing I just noticed too; once you start typing into the quick quote box, you can't actually scroll back up to re-read what you have written, whereas you could before (iphone)

Yes. Ditto that. (iPhone). Else it looks pretty good Greg! I didn't even know you were working on a mobile app. You should sticky that little tid-bit somewhere! (or everywhere, like the PF proliferation thread.)

ok the "normal" button at the bottom should now work. I also added the last post on the homepage and last poster/time/date for forum display view.

Evo

Mentor
Evo Child just got a Palm Pre, I should check it out from her phone.

fuzzyfelt

Gold Member
The last poster is now displayed-good work- but a normal view still isn't showing for me.

Echo fuzzyfelt comments exactly.

Is it safe to assume that no further development will take place on the mobile version now?

gel

Well, I've just been bought an iPhone by the wife. Been using it browse this site for the last week. Seems pretty good to me. Clear and easy to use. Dunno what the old mobile version was like though.

gel

Hmm, just noticed the lack of scrolling typing that post.

Pythagorean

Gold Member
complaints:

1) I get a security error when I try to make a chess move on my iphone
2) I can't exit the iphone version to go to normal browser view (i.e. "Normal Version" button doesn't seem to work)

Yeah. I'll be honest, I am kind of surprised that the "My PF" screen is not an option. The only reason i log in from a mobile is to check up on my 'subscribed threads.'

that's why I wish 'Normal View' worked.

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Yeah. I'll be honest, I am kind of surprised that the "My PF" screen is not an option. The only reason i log in from a mobile is to check up on my 'subscribed threads.'

that's why I wish 'Normal View' worked.
A workaround would be to bookmark the My PF link. Or remember that typing "/usercp.php" after www.physicsforums.com will get you there.

ranger

Gold Member
I wanted to edit a post I made from my computer using my iphone. I found that for long posts, I am unable to scroll through the entire post, which makes editing text towards the bottom impossible. There is no scroll bar to navigate the length of the post.

cristo

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
A couple of suggestions: could you add a report button, and also the date of each post as well as the time?

Why not just use Opera and open the original PF page?

I'm just here to complain that the "normal version" button at the bottom is a cruel joke. It simply refreshed the page and keeps the mobile version.

I'm using an iPhone for what it's worth.

I really hate that we can't select a page to jump to on multi-page threads. I have to click through one by one to get to the most recent post.

MATLABdude

Science Advisor
I wanted to edit a post I made from my computer using my iphone. I found that for long posts, I am unable to scroll through the entire post, which makes editing text towards the bottom impossible. There is no scroll bar to navigate the length of the post.
If you tap inside the text box to get the blinking cursor and then press and hold (like when you select text, copy / paste etc.) and then drag and hold to the bottom / top of the screen, you can scroll inside the text entry form. If you want to get at the very bottom of the text box, you sometimes need to type a character to get the browser to scroll there.

I love my iPhone and have gotten used to the virtual keyboard, but it can be a PITA every once in a while (like on this forum).

And my pet peeve about PFmobile: I can only see the time when a post was posted. But there's no date!

Felipe61

how far is the mobile version of PF currently?

I still cannot view the normal version of PF off of the iPhone. When I click the link, the page just reloads as is.

rhody

Gold Member
Just a note to Greg Bernhardt, when I entered this thread from a normal PC I got an ID and password prompt, and with cancel it still let me in. I assumed it should since I see many folks here who are general members and not Mentor's or Test people.

Just thought I would mention it.

Rhody... :wink:

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Love the mobile version on my iPod touch!