Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New mp3 player - ripping CDs?

1. Oct 23, 2006 #1

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I'm new to the whole mp3 player thing.

I* was told that I could store my CDs on it, by ripping them.

*(and by "I", I mean "my wife").

The first thing we tried was Windows Media Player. It seems to be reading in real time, i.e. 4 minutes for a 4 minute song.

What should we use?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2006 #2

turbo

Gold Member

Windows media player will rip files for you (convert them from audio files to MP3's) and let you store a whole lot more of them (at slightly reduced quality) in less space than the CD requires. Most MP3 players have a USB connection so you can transfer the ripped files from the PC to the player. There are other software packages that will allow you to do this, as well. Most new PCs come with some type of this software - my Dell came with Musicmatch Jukebox. Ashampoo is a commercial package that will let you rip music, burn CDs and DVDs and lots of other stuff.

What you want to do is get some MP3-savvy kid to show you how and your wife how to do this. Hands-on training sticks with you, and it's hard to give someone cogent directions through text files - you'll need to either study the help files with Windows Media Player or have someone take a few minutes to show you the essentials. Good luck.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2006
  4. Oct 23, 2006 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

What about time? At the store we were told it might take 10 seconds to rip a song. We're getting 1:1 i.e. a 4' song takes 4', a whole album takes an hour.

5. Oct 23, 2006 #4
    So you want to get songs from a cd to mp3 format? What kind of mp3 player is it?

6. Oct 23, 2006 #5

turbo

Gold Member

Most rippers will use the fastest speed that they can. I don't have an MP3 encoder installed that is compatible with Windows Media Player, so I can't tell you what the rip speed is. Using Dell Musicmatch Jukebox, a typical song rips in about 15 seconds. Less than 3 minutes to polish off about any audio CD.

7. Oct 24, 2006 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

That matters? I'm more ignorant than I thought.
    It's some no name. KF100. We're seeing if mp3 player is feasible before investing more.

eg. The moment I got home, I figured out how to set up her HP Pocket PC to emulate an mp3 player. Now we've got two.

8. Oct 25, 2006 #7
    Did my post get deleted?

9. Oct 25, 2006 #8

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Server issues...I replied also.

Dave, depending on the software, if you are playing while ripping it can only rip at 1x. Try ripping without playing.

10. Oct 26, 2006 #9
  11. Oct 26, 2006 #10
    Ok i wasnt sure if i just made a worthless post and id got deleted, thanks for the response. iTunes rips at 2.3x usually but overall its a slow process.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?