Efficient CD Ripping for Your New MP3 Player: Tips and Tricks

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
In summary, Windows Media Player will rip files for you (convert them from audio files to MP3's) and let you store a whole lot more of them (at slightly reduced quality) in less space than the CD requires. You can use other software packages to do this as well.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I'm new to the whole mp3 player thing.

I* was told that I could store my CDs on it, by ripping them.

*(and by "I", I mean "my wife").

The first thing we tried was Windows Media Player. It seems to be reading in real time, i.e. 4 minutes for a 4 minute song.

What should we use?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Windows media player will rip files for you (convert them from audio files to MP3's) and let you store a whole lot more of them (at slightly reduced quality) in less space than the CD requires. Most MP3 players have a USB connection so you can transfer the ripped files from the PC to the player. There are other software packages that will allow you to do this, as well. Most new PCs come with some type of this software - my Dell came with Musicmatch Jukebox. Ashampoo is a commercial package that will let you rip music, burn CDs and DVDs and lots of other stuff.

What you want to do is get some MP3-savvy kid to show you how and your wife how to do this. Hands-on training sticks with you, and it's hard to give someone cogent directions through text files - you'll need to either study the help files with Windows Media Player or have someone take a few minutes to show you the essentials. Good luck.

Last edited:
What about time? At the store we were told it might take 10 seconds to rip a song. We're getting 1:1 i.e. a 4' song takes 4', a whole album takes an hour.

DaveC426913 said:
What about time? At the store we were told it might take 10 seconds to rip a song. We're getting 1:1 i.e. a 4' song takes 4', a whole album takes an hour.

So you want to get songs from a cd to mp3 format? What kind of mp3 player is it?

Most rippers will use the fastest speed that they can. I don't have an MP3 encoder installed that is compatible with Windows Media Player, so I can't tell you what the rip speed is. Using Dell Musicmatch Jukebox, a typical song rips in about 15 seconds. Less than 3 minutes to polish off about any audio CD.

Stevedye56 said:
What kind of mp3 player is it?
That matters? I'm more ignorant than I thought.
It's some no name. KF100. We're seeing if mp3 player is feasible before investing more.

eg. The moment I got home, I figured out how to set up her HP Pocket PC to emulate an mp3 player. Now we've got two.

Did my post get deleted?

Server issues...I replied also.

Dave, depending on the software, if you are playing while ripping it can only rip at 1x. Try ripping without playing.

Ok i wasnt sure if i just made a worthless post and id got deleted, thanks for the response. iTunes rips at 2.3x usually but overall its a slow process.

1. How do I rip CDs onto my new mp3 player?

To rip CDs onto your new mp3 player, you will need a computer with CD ripping software. Insert the CD into your computer's CD drive and open the CD ripping software. Follow the prompts to select the songs you want to rip and the destination folder on your mp3 player. Once the ripping process is complete, you can disconnect your mp3 player from the computer and enjoy your music.

2. Can I rip CDs in different file formats for my new mp3 player?

Yes, most CD ripping software allows you to choose the file format for your ripped songs. Popular formats for mp3 players include MP3, AAC, and WMA. Make sure to check your mp3 player's specifications to see which file formats it supports.

3. How long does it take to rip a CD onto a new mp3 player?

The time it takes to rip a CD onto a new mp3 player varies depending on the number of songs on the CD and the speed of your computer. On average, it can take anywhere from a few minutes to half an hour.

4. Do I need an internet connection to rip CDs onto my new mp3 player?

No, an internet connection is not necessary to rip CDs onto your new mp3 player. As long as you have a computer with CD ripping software, you can transfer music from a CD to your mp3 player without being connected to the internet.

5. Can I transfer my previously ripped CDs onto my new mp3 player?

Yes, you can transfer previously ripped CDs onto your new mp3 player. Simply connect your mp3 player to your computer and drag and drop the songs from your computer's music folder to your mp3 player's music folder. Make sure the file formats are compatible with your mp3 player.