Ready to Master the Charango? Get Yours Today!

• Thread starter Mark44
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Instrument
In summary: The charango is thought to have originated in the region that now includes Bolivia, Peru, and Chile.The charango is a small stringed instrument in the guitar family, about the size of ukulele, but with 10 strings arranged in 5 courses. It is typically played with a plectrum, and has a higher "action" than other guitars, meaning the strings are higher off the fretboard. Its sound is described as "warm, mellow, and sweet," and it is often used in traditional Bolivian folk music.
Today I finally received the charango I ordered back in October. The eBay seller is in Bolivia, so it takes about 3 weeks to get from South America to where I live, not to mention that it has to go through customs. A charango is a small stringed instrument in the guitar family, about the size of ukulele, but with 10 strings arranged in 5 courses.

If you're of a certain age, you might remember the Simon and Garfunkel song, "El condor pasa," whose intro features charango music.

This is my second charango -- I bought one when my wife and I were in Argentina 11 years ago. That one has a nice sound, but the "action" is too high (strings are too high off the fretboard) so playing in any but the lowest frets causes the sounds to go sharp. It's also so small, I wasn't able to find anyone who could work on it. As a result, I lost interest in it.

The new one is from a better luthier, and after tuning it and playing it a bit, it seems to be just what I was looking for. I'm really a novice, but I've been playing guitar for a long time, so I hope to get a lot better at tocando mi charango.

Here's a picture. It's about 28" long, to give you an idea of its size. The body and neck are carved from a single piece of wood, and the top of the body and the fretboard are glued to the body. This one has mother-of-pearl or similar inlaid in the upper bout.
IMG_1603.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1603.JPG
    IMG_1603.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 579
Likes BillTre, DennisN, OmCheeto and 1 other person
Science news on Phys.org
Lovely instrument. I am looking forward to a video showcasing the sound of your new charango. I am nostalgically fond of "El condor pasa". :smile:

I won't be posting any videos where I'm playing the instrument, but here's one by someone who really knows how to play it.

Likes DennisN
I'm embarrassed to say that this is the first time I've ever heard of a charango.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charango

It was interesting to read about the history of the instrument. According to the above Wikipedia article, the instrument is supposedly descended from the Spanish vihuela (an ancestor of the classical guitar) and was introduced to the indigenous peoples of the Andes by the Spanish conquistadors.

1. What is a new musical instrument?

A new musical instrument is a device or apparatus that is used for creating or producing music. It may be a completely new invention or an innovative variation of an existing instrument.

2. How is a new musical instrument different from traditional instruments?

A new musical instrument may have a different sound, playing technique, or design compared to traditional instruments. It may also incorporate modern technology or materials, making it more versatile and easier to use.

3. What makes a new musical instrument innovative?

A new musical instrument is considered innovative if it introduces a new sound, technique, or design that has not been seen or heard before. It may also improve upon an existing instrument by enhancing its capabilities or creating new possibilities for music creation.

4. How are new musical instruments developed?

New musical instruments are typically developed through a combination of scientific research, engineering, and design. Scientists and inventors work together to understand the physics and acoustics of sound production and apply that knowledge to create new instruments.

5. Can anyone learn to play a new musical instrument?

Yes, anyone can learn to play a new musical instrument with practice and dedication. Some instruments may have a steeper learning curve than others, but with proper instruction and perseverance, anyone can become proficient in playing a new musical instrument.