Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New Oarlock Geometry Question

1. Jul 11, 2010 #1
    Traditional oarlocks used in compeitive rowing hold the oar next to the oar pin about which the oar pivots such that the middle of the oar shaft is about 2 inches away from the center of the pin.

I am working on a new oarlock design where the middle of the oar shaft is inline (directly on top of) the pin about which it rotates.

My question is this.... what effect does the change in axis locations (next to the pin vs. on the pin) have on the work required by the rower?

Note: Technically oars are considered a second order lever, although some people consider it a first order lever.

Thank you for your help!

Rick

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2010 #2
    I probably didn't do a very good job of phrasing my question, because I know there are a lot of people out there smarter than me. Let me try again...

The question is this: is it easier to pull on the end of a lever when the fulcrum is pivoting on one point as opposed to traveling in an arc around the fulcurm?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Rick

4. Aug 12, 2010 #3
  5. Aug 12, 2010 #4
    Thank you Edward! Although this document did not answer my specific question, it is filled with some great information. Thank you for sharing it with me!

Rick

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook