What is the effect of changing the axis location on rowing oarlocks?

• Thread starter rickhoran
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary, a new oarlock design is being considered where the middle of the oar shaft is directly on top of the pin instead of next to it. The question is whether this change in axis locations will affect the work required by the rower. Some people consider oars to be second order levers, while others consider them first order levers. A document shared by Edward provides information about oar mechanics, but does not directly answer the question.
rickhoran
Traditional oarlocks used in compeitive rowing hold the oar next to the oar pin about which the oar pivots such that the middle of the oar shaft is about 2 inches away from the center of the pin.

I am working on a new oarlock design where the middle of the oar shaft is inline (directly on top of) the pin about which it rotates.

My question is this... what effect does the change in axis locations (next to the pin vs. on the pin) have on the work required by the rower?

Note: Technically oars are considered a second order lever, although some people consider it a first order lever.

Thank you for your help!

Rick

Physics news on Phys.org
I probably didn't do a very good job of phrasing my question, because I know there are a lot of people out there smarter than me. Let me try again...

The question is this: is it easier to pull on the end of a lever when the fulcrum is pivoting on one point as opposed to traveling in an arc around the fulcurm?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Rick

Thank you Edward! Although this document did not answer my specific question, it is filled with some great information. Thank you for sharing it with me!

Rick

What is "New Oarlock Geometry"?

"New Oarlock Geometry" refers to a proposed design for the oarlock, or the mechanism that connects the oar to the boat in rowing. It involves changes to the shape and placement of the oarlock in order to improve rowing efficiency and reduce strain on the rower's body.

What are the potential benefits of this new design?

The potential benefits of the "New Oarlock Geometry" include increased rowing efficiency, reduced strain on the rower's body, and potentially faster speeds. It may also allow for better control and precision in rowing movements.

Has this new design been tested or proven to be effective?

While there have been some initial tests and studies on the "New Oarlock Geometry", it is still in the early stages of development and has not been widely implemented or proven to be effective. Further research and testing is needed to fully evaluate its potential benefits.

How does this new design differ from traditional oarlock designs?

The "New Oarlock Geometry" differs from traditional designs in several ways. It may have a different shape, size, or placement on the boat. It may also utilize different materials or mechanisms to connect the oar to the boat. These changes are intended to improve rowing efficiency and reduce strain on the rower's body.

Are there any potential drawbacks or limitations to this new design?

As with any new technology or design, there may be potential drawbacks or limitations to the "New Oarlock Geometry". Some concerns may include the cost of implementing the new design, potential compatibility issues with existing boats and equipment, and the need for further research and development to fully understand its effectiveness.