New Orleans disaster predicted in 2001

• News
  • Thread starter Skyhunter
  • Start date
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
BobG said:
One way to earn Bush's undying gratitude is to jump out in front of the crowd and appear to be even less intelligent than Bush.
:rofl: And that is very difficult to achieve. The Michael Brown is doing his best. :rolleyes:

russ_watters
Mentor
Astronuc said:
It was a Category 4, almost 5, and in fact Katrina was the 4th most powerful hurricane to hit the US! Chertoff and Michael Brown (Director of FEMA) should have been sitting at NHC watching this thing by Saturday - where were they? Planes should have been ready to go then (or at least within 24 hrs) and they should have contacted the governor to coordinate National Guard. What is so hard about that? Apparently it is hard for Chertoff and Brown and their organizations.

The governor should have moved more swiftly for sure. And what happened to New Orleans emergency personnel - they are on the front lines already?!
Brown was in Baton Rouge when the storm hit and there were already FEMA people/supplies present before the storm hit, as well as national guard troops and coast guard aircraft.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/08/29/katrina.washington.ap/index.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Art
russ_watters said:
Brown was in Baton Rouge when the storm hit and there were already FEMA people/supplies present before the storm hit, as well as national guard troops and coast guard aircraft.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/08/29/katrina.washington.ap/index.html [Broken]
And yet the excuse many people were rolling out here for the lack of federal aid in the first days of the disaster was that they were not allowed to get involved.... :confused:

Ah, Mike Brown. Good old Baghdad Brown. This was the guy fired from the International Arabian Horse Association for incompetence. This was the guy who on Sept. 1st said that he, FEMA director, had no idea that people were taking shelter in the Convention Center.

Bush: "Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job."

Indeed. Way to go, Brownie.

Art said:
And yet the excuse many people were rolling out here for the lack of federal aid in the first days of the disaster was that they were not allowed to get involved.... :confused:
LOL. People get dizzy when they spin.

They dragged out Bush's parents to help defend him yesterday. They must be getting pretty nervous.

Highlights included Bush Sr. uttering something about how those people on the roofs sure weren't complaining.

And then there's Barbara. Who said that the storm "worked out well "for "those people." Implying since they were so poor and their homes were so bad, it's probably a good thing that their houses were destroyed.

And she said the really scary thing was that "those people" were probably planning on staying in Texas.

Compassionate Conservatism, ladies and gentlemen.

Informal Logic
TRCSF said:
Bush: "Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job."
There is a time for joking and a time for dignity and concern. This man is so clueless.
TRCSF said:
They dragged out Bush's parents to help defend him yesterday.
Does Dubya ever ask or receive advice from Bush Sr.? Because it seems this would be much better than always defending him after bungling something.

Informal Logic said:
Does Dubya ever ask or receive advice from Bush Sr.? .
Actually, Bush Sr. is known for bungling hurricane relief as well.

russ_watters
Mentor
Art said:
Your response has nothing at all to do with the fact I posted.

russ_watters said:
Your response has nothing at all to do with the fact I posted.
Actually, it completely undermines the whole argument.

russ_watters
Mentor
I didn't post an argument, I posted a fact in response to a question! (where was Brown?)

russ_watters said:
I didn't post an argument, I posted a fact in response to a question! (where was Brown?)
Excuse me.

The argument that the Louisiana state government wasn't allowing FEMA in.

You know what really pisses me off. When Bush and Martin were meeting around the time of the New Orleans crisis Martin offered to help, he didn't make a big statement but he asked bush if they needed help and Bush said 'no' (well, I don't know that, but he didn't say 'yes') and now the US media is going off about how Canada was quicker to offer help to sir lanka than to the katrina thing. It's stupid, Martin FINALLY does something I agree with and now the US doesn't believe it. You imbecils.

Smurf said:
You know what really pisses me off. When Bush and Martin were meeting around the time of the New Orleans crisis Martin offered to help, he didn't make a big statement but he asked bush if they needed help and Bush said 'no' (well, I don't know that, but he didn't say 'yes') and now the US media is going off about how Canada was quicker to offer help to sir lanka than to the katrina thing. It's stupid, Martin FINALLY does something I agree with and now the US doesn't believe it. You imbecils.
During the storm Bush was still on vacation. It was a couple days later that he got back and started telling people no thanks.

Back during the big Kobe earthquake the Japanese government refused international aid. I thought that was terrible.

It's a shame it's happened here.

well I don't know exactly when it was (i don't really care - it's just another hurricane and flood they happen all the time) but martin did offer!

Smurf said:
well I don't know exactly when it was (i don't really care - it's just another hurricane and flood they happen all the time) but martin did offer!
Yes, he sure did. Last I heard (thursday or friday) the Canucks were pissed that their water purifiers were being held up at the boarder.

And the Canadian Navy is currently steaming towards the gulf.

Hell, even Sri Lanka has offered assistance.

Smurf said:
Do you ever do research before posting? Or do you make a habit of automatically disbelieving everything someone says you don't like. I kind of thought I'd established a bit of credibility this last while by always backing up sources. Throw that out the window, goodbye common sense.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20050901.wpmpm0901/BNStory/National [Broken]
Uh, are you talking to me? I'm saying that yes, Paul Martin did offer assistance. I'm saying that the Bush Administration is the reason that assistance has been delayed.

Never mind then :blushing: