New PF Community Award: Best Armchair Scientist! (in spaaaace!)

• Thread starter Drakkith
  • Start date
In summary, the new PF Community Award for Best Armchair Scientist in space has been introduced. This award recognizes individuals who excel in scientific knowledge and discussion related to space exploration and research, without necessarily having a formal background in the field. It celebrates the passion and curiosity of those who engage in armchair science, contributing valuable insights and perspectives to the space community. This award serves as a platform to showcase the diverse talent and knowledge within the PF community and encourage further engagement in the fascinating world of space science.
Drakkith
Mentor
I feel I must propose a new award for this years PF Community Awards. I call it...

Best Armchair Scientist! (in spaaaace!)

This award would be for those of me...err...us...who are completely not formally educated in science, yet somehow muddle through PF answering questions without causing anyone to cry, making the website crash, or starting a Divide by Zero cataclysm that would make any black hole envious.

List of qualifying...qualifications...or whatever.

1. Spend more time on Wikipedia or other online sources of information trying to understand the concept under discussion than actually surfing PF.

2. Able to wade through 5 pages of discussion on the Cosmological Constant to answer the one random post and tell them there is no "Center of the Universe".

3. Start at least 50% of your posts with: "As far as I know...", "I'm not an expert but...", or "I don't know the math however..."

4. When asked for references you respond with "I thought it was common knowledge".

5. Discussions of quantum mechanics leaves you wondering if the burger you had for lunch has a twin that will randomly appear in front of you so you can enjoy delicousness again. But you quickly realize it is exceedingly unlikely and you'll have to shell out another 5 bucks. You leave the thread dissapointed and slightly hungry.

6. Coherent explanations? What's that mean?

7. You're a little skeptical of all posts unless they have a familiar Avatar picture.

8. You have to go to dictionary.com to make sure the big word you are using is spelled and used correctly. Many times this causes you to cross check Wikipedia, leading to an hour long browsing session where you somehow learn how dolphins and wave functions are intimately related.

9. You've been here long enough to understand how to use the Fish joke, but you still don't understand it. (Is salmon a bad choice?)

10. You spend more time on PF at work than actually working.

11. You make sacrifices of fish to the PF Admins/Mentors in hopes that they will give you the secret of fire and steel. (Or Fusion and Carbon Nanotubes)

12. You have discovered that somewhere on the internet there is an online calculator specifically for determining the proper distance to a galaxy, for finding the force of gravity by the moon on you, calculating the amount of rain that will impact you if you run at different speeds in a rainstorm, or almost anything else you can imagine.

13. You've heard that Richard Feynman was kind of important once.

Physics news on Phys.org
:cry: I confess! :cry:

I nominate Drakkith!

Pengwuino said:
I nominate Drakkith!

Hurray!

Hmmm. This is a poseur's award. The person who should win, whoever that is, is so good that we don't know the person is an armchair scientist.

D H said:
Hmmm. This is a poseur's award. The person who should win, whoever that is, is so good that we don't know the person is an armchair scientist.

So, it wasn't only me who thought this award goes to a non-existent member.

I nominate myself. I talk all the time about things I don't really understand!

Char. Limit said:
I talk all the time about things I don't really understand!

:rofl: :rofl:

Char. Limit said:
I nominate myself. I talk all the time about things I don't really understand!

Mmm...Char Limit is a cheeseburger...

I will happily accept the award right now. Do I get cash too?

Sounds like me alright :biggrin:

D H said:

If that's the criteria, then my vote goes to Drakkith. I thought he was finishing-up a degree in physics before reading his profile information and finding out he's in high school.

Dembadon said:
If that's the criteria, then my vote goes to Drakkith. I thought he was finishing-up a degree in physics before reading his profile information and finding out he's in high school.

Actually I'm about to receive my associates degree from the Community College of the Air Force.

I nominate micro! :!)

P.S. What spell did you curse me with mister micro? I never give my voice easily like this...

I second micro.
Did you know he's 15 and still in high school?
He had me fooled! :smile:

I like Serena said:

What? Really?
He's in high school? :O

Pranav-Arora said:
What? Really?
He's in high school? :O

It says so in his profile, so it must be true!

I would like to add one:

14. All posts deleted from the https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=532620" thread. :grumpy:

It shouldn't be about the lack of quality in your posts, it should be about the quantity of your posts that lack quality.

hmmm...

Or does this simply make me a crackpot?

Perhaps I don't understand the question.

Never mind. :redface:

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Serena said:
I second micro.
He had me fooled! :smile:

I had no idea either! :bugeye:

One question: Does he post during wikipedia outages? :devil:

extended_mind.png

D H said:
One question: Does he post during wikipedia outages? :devil:

What is an outage?
What is a post?!
What is the meaning of life?!?

Drakkith said:
What is an outage?
An outrage!
Drakkith said:
What is a post?!
Dumb.
Drakkith said:
What is the meaning of life?!?
14 - assuming equal division between life, the universe, and everything.

15. You are ready to die for this (what you believe) Stephen Hawking quote: "It's not about what's probable, it's about what's possible."

Shameless yearly bump!

Lololol!

I'm sorry, Drakkith. You should've digged this thread up earlier, I have voted already. Maybe next year. :smile:

After rereading this thread I came to the conclusion that would be a popular vote to point Mentors attention to someone that should be banned immediately.

There's already an award for this. It's called the Nobel Prize.

Jimmy Snyder said:

Nonsense, those guys actually have to attend a BANQUET! Can you believe it?!

Hey, don't knock free food, especially if it's a Swedish smörgåsbord! :tongue2:

i wasn't aware that was an actual word jt!

Actually, at this time of year we should be talking about a julbord:

640px-Julbord.jpg

I don't know what all that is, but I'm hungry now!

Jimmy Snyder said:

I was thinking a while back, that PF should rename these annual awards to the "Know Bell" prizes.

Then our members could of course say, "Why yes, I did as a matter of fact, win the Know Bell prize in physics in 2008."

We'd have to rename some. Community could become Peace.

LisaB: "2011 Know Bell Peace prize winner". :smile:

Though I couldn't decide which "Bell" I was thinking about, so I didn't mention it.

OmCheeto said:
I was thinking a while back, that PF should rename these annual awards to the "Know Bell" prizes.

Then our members could of course say, "Why yes, I did as a matter of fact, win the Know Bell prize in physics in 2008."

We'd have to rename some. Community could become Peace.

LisaB: "2011 Know Bell Peace prize winner". :smile:

Though I couldn't decide which "Bell" I was thinking about, so I didn't mention it.
How about "No Bell". I mean, we don't give them a bell, so it's a true statement.

I'm fond of the PF Tinker-Bell award myself. A little pixie dust works miracles and everybody tinkers. Gotta be somebody named Tinker that's a physicist.