How Can Punctuation Change the Tone of Online Communication?

• Thread starter Adrian Baker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Idea
In summary, people on PF sometimes use aggressive language without smiley faces or other cues to soften their words. However, it has been suggested that using different punctuation can convey aggressiveness without being obvious and causing upset. Some examples include using multiple exclamation points or question marks, using emojis such as :grumpy: or :tongue2:, or using Leet speak. It has also been proposed to use a delimiter to indicate the use of aggressive punctuation, such as :), and to use it around entire messages or just specific sentences. Ultimately, the importance of tone and intention should be considered when using language, and it is possible to convey aggressiveness without causing harm.
Adrian Baker
Sometimes on PF people use words and phrases that CAN seem aggresive without smiley faces or similar to 'disarm' them.

However, as an alternative, we could use 'different' punctuation' to really be aggresive, without anyone knowing actually knowing, so also avoiding upset!

Here, take a look. - ?

Click me to see the new idea...

:rofl:

Physics news on Phys.org
This is great! :rofl: Mercy - I'm in tears! :rofl:

Hey, how dare you! :) :grumpy: :tongue2:

:rofl: :rofl:

oops sorry please don't misinterpret my punctuation in the previous post

Math Is Hard said:
oops sorry please don't misinterpret my punctuation in the previous post

., :) -

:rofl:

No wonder Dale Record uses so many commas in her posts - now I'm suddenly offended :rofl:

Good one(,) Adrian Baker(!)

Humm, Perhaps we need some from of delimiter to indicated that ze punction is in effect. something like [ze]:) [/ze]

Integral said:
Humm, Perhaps we need some from of delimiter to indicated that ze punction is in effect. something like [ze]:) [/ze]

[ze]

Of course, it should be acceptable to use the ze delimiter around words as well - ?

[/ze]

Last edited:
Of course, One could enclose the entire message,
[ze] Or perhaps, just a sentence - :) [/ze]

Hey! did you just call me a [ze] ? - [/ze] ?

! :) - :rolleyes:

\/\/3LL 1 pE|250NaLL'/ L1K3 t0 7yp3 1|\| L3et $p34K bec4u$E 1+s 4 |2EaLL'/ g00|) |/\|@j +0 $|-|0|/\| 0fF Mj EL173 1n+E|2|\|37 $KiLL$ t0 07|-|3r$

Kakarot said:
\/\/3LL 1 pE|250NaLL'/ L1K3 t0 7yp3 1|\| L3et $p34K bec4u$E 1+s 4 |2EaLL'/ g00|) |/\|@j +0 $|-|0|/\| 0fF Mj EL173 1n+E|2|\|37 $KiLL$ t0 07|-|3r$

wow, i could read that... the only L33T speak I've seen is people saying "L33T speak," or "L337 $p34k!" or something... go me!

Gale17 said:
wow, i could read that... the only L33T speak I've seen is people saying "L33T speak," or "L337 $p34k!" or something... go me!

you are the coolest girl ever

1. What is the "New PF Punctuation" idea?

The "New PF Punctuation" idea is a proposed system of punctuation that aims to improve the clarity and efficiency of written communication, specifically in the context of online platforms and digital media.

2. How does the "New PF Punctuation" idea differ from traditional punctuation?

The "New PF Punctuation" idea introduces new symbols and rules that are designed to be more intuitive and effective in conveying meaning in a digital environment. It also aims to simplify and streamline the use of punctuation, making it more accessible to a wider range of users.

3. What are some examples of the new symbols in the "New PF Punctuation" idea?

Some examples of the new symbols proposed in the "New PF Punctuation" idea include a symbol for sarcasm, a symbol for emphasis, and a symbol for indicating a question or statement is intended to be humorous.

4. How will the "New PF Punctuation" idea impact written communication?

The "New PF Punctuation" idea has the potential to improve the clarity and effectiveness of written communication, particularly in the context of online platforms and digital media. It may also lead to more creative and nuanced use of punctuation in written communication.

5. Are there any challenges or drawbacks to implementing the "New PF Punctuation" idea?

Some potential challenges or drawbacks of implementing the "New PF Punctuation" idea include the need for widespread adoption and acceptance, potential confusion or misunderstandings with traditional punctuation, and the need for education and training on the new symbols and rules.