Who Will Be the New Pope?

• Thread starter Clausius2
  • Start date
In summary, the new Pope is Cardinal Ratzinger and he has been elected because he is a heavy personality in the church. cardinals seem to not have spent a lot of time considering who the best candidate was and it seems like the conclave was rushed.
arildno said:
Sorry..

You don't need to apologize, friend. We know you have a strongly logical mind, and you're able to view each situation in an unbiased way.

The catholic chuch has negative points (like everything in this life) and positive ones. I choose the positive ones: charity, helping, morality values... and reject the negative ones: out of fashion thinkings, horrible crimes in Middle Age,...

It is for this reason I am not an active (practicant) believer. I have gone few times to a church (maybe 6 or 7 times in all my life and some of them was doing tourism!). But I respect the historical background of the catholic church which can be considered a vital point in the european culture and history, and because Spain's history is very much relationed with Catholicism. The only thing I am not going to do is to criticize church only by political issues, as some people of left tendence are prone to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
are you people living ON this planet??

cronxeh said:

no, that's the question we should ask to you. Do you know anything about European history ? The content of your posts suggests that you do not. That is not an insult but don't judge something you know nothing about

marlon

marlon said:
I totally agree with Clausius...

marlon

In some way you are a traitor. Let me to explain it.

In the 16th century Phillip II and his father Charles V, who were kings of the Spanish Imperium, tried to export Catholicism to Flandes and that zone of current Belgium-Netherlands. The protestant leader prince William Orange headed the resistance against spanish army. Orange defeated Phillip II, who was a complete dumb, and he avoided the instauration of Catholicism there.

Nowadays a guy of Belgium supports Catholicism, what could Orange say if he hears you?. :uhh: :tongue2:

you right, i should have added 'ON this time' as well. perhaps you are used to missing the point entirely, on number of things, for number of years.

cronxeh said:

Be accurate and expose your reasons why you ask it. But don't post short comments without any sense.

If i am to provide my reasons I would be violating the forum rules, and putting down a few billion people while I'm at it.

cronxeh said:
If i am to provide my reasons I would be violating the forum rules, and putting down a few billion people while I'm at it.

If you're unable to explain your argument without violating forum rules, then give up posting here.

On the other hand, I hope you have enough intelligence to explain it in a non offensive language.

Come on. I am waiting.

Hurry up, I have to take supper!

It is not so much offensive, but the reality of things would at least make the believers jump off a cliff. Do I have enough intelligence to explain the whole 'concept' I have in my head? No. Does it violate the forum rules? Yes - it is talking about religions. Now you might think oh this guy has no idea what he is talking about, right? Consider the great many works of people like John Allegro and alike, combined with all the religious inconsistancies as well as number of religions, the effects of such religions throughout history, and particularly of aforementioned religion and its representative (both of them), and you would be hard pressed. But even when the evidence is presented, and this is where my 'putting down' part comes in - the involved parties refused the evidence at hand, and blindly, keep on to their believes

Clausius2 said:
I hope this time you are not saying this because of me. :tongue2:
No, not you. :smile:

And thank you too cronxeh for remaining within the guidelines.

I have to be gone for a couple of hours, I trust when I return that the thread will not have burned down and there will be no bloodshed? :tongue:

Last edited:
cronxeh said:
pretty cool how they elected a new, german, nazism-raised pope, by hitler's birthday

what is wrong with being born german ? and by the way, not all germans were nazis.
during WW2 Ratzinger did not have choice all youths were taken into military against their will.(read your history books Dude!)
man ! seams to me you have grudge against germans ! it is 60 years allready and you people still demonizing Germans !

cronxeh said:
It is not so much offensive, but the reality of things would at least make the believers jump off a cliff. Do I have enough intelligence to explain the whole 'concept' I have in my head? No. Does it violate the forum rules? Yes - it is talking about religions. Now you might think oh this guy has no idea what he is talking about, right? Consider the great many works of people like John Allegro and alike, combined with all the religious inconsistancies as well as number of religions, the effects of such religions throughout history, and particularly of aforementioned religion and its representative (both of them), and you would be hard pressed. But even when the evidence is presented, and this is where my 'putting down' part comes in - the involved parties refused the evidence at hand, and blindly, keep on to their believes

You mean believers are somehow blind people, and religion has caused a lot of conflicts throughout history.

My opinion is not the same. Sometimes it is needed to believe in something/someone. Human beings are prone to do so: we believe in God (those who are believers), or we believe in ourselves and our capacity of solving some difficult situations, another times we believe in a friend, and also we believe in the luckiness. Believing in something keeps us on being somehow alive.

In particular, believing in God is a shared culture of several world civilizations. All catholics are gathered in this act, and have at least something in common. Religion can be described also as an element of union, not of breaking. It is certain too it has caused a lot of wars, but it is one of the negative points.

As I have mentioned above, religion has both negative and positive points. I am aware enough like you to see the negative ones, BUT you don't seem as aware as me to see the positive ones.

My step dads father (guess my grandpa) was in the german military as a kid and fought for the nazis. My moms dad fought for the Canadian military. Hows that for funny. That one day their kids would hook up to have me. :eek:

stoned said:
what is wrong with being born german ? and by the way, not all germans were nazis.
during WW2 Ratzinger did not have choice all youths were taken into military against their will.(read your history books Dude!)
man ! seams to me you have grudge against germans ! it is 60 years allready and you people still demonizing Germans !

If the Pope wasn't catholic, the fact that he was forced into service would be a reasonable excuse for him being a Nazi, however, he is catholic. If he was truly a man of God, then shouldn't he have have always believed in God; furthermore, since he is Christian, shouldn't he have put his morals above his life. After all, Christianity believes those who are truly brave and divine go to heaven while, from the perspective of the Catholic church, those who don't confirm to the gospel are sentenced to damnation. I'm not well educated on the Bible so if there is an explanation, I'd be interested in hearing it. I'm assuming it is just hypocrisy on the part of the Church, but, as I said before, I'm not a religion expert.

I think it makes a difference that he wasn't a grown man at the time.

imagine if the new pope was from France.

Clausius2 said:
In some way you are a traitor. Let me to explain it.

In the 16th century Phillip II and his father Charles V, who were kings of the Spanish Imperium, tried to export Catholicism to Flandes and that zone of current Belgium-Netherlands. The protestant leader prince William Orange headed the resistance against spanish army. Orange defeated Phillip II, who was a complete dumb, and he avoided the instauration of Catholicism there.

Nowadays a guy of Belgium supports Catholicism, what could Orange say if he hears you?. :uhh: :tongue2:
As a matter of fact you are not completely correct here. It's actually the northern part of what we call Belgium that was the upper catholic geographic boundary in those days, so your point is a bit, err, 'doubtable'.

regards
marlon

Dooga Blackrazor said:
If the Pope wasn't catholic, the fact that he was forced into service would be a reasonable excuse for him being a Nazi, however, he is catholic. If he was truly a man of God, then shouldn't he have have always believed in God;
St. Paul, second in the church after Peter, was a man of God who persecuted (and sometimes killed) Christians for many years before his conversion on the road to Damascus.

furthermore, since he is Christian, shouldn't he have put his morals above his life. After all, Christianity believes those who are truly brave and divine go to heaven while, from the perspective of the Catholic church, those who don't confirm to the gospel are sentenced to damnation.
Wow, you don't expect much, do you?? No one of whatever religious stripe knows what they would do until they are in such a situation. And really, who can be faulted for abandoning their ideals to save their lives. It's easy to think otherwise in our comfortable little lives where the threat of death does not lurk around every door.

Not everyone who is devout is able to rise to the challenge to do the right thing every time, especially when their life is in danger. That's why martyrs are especially revered.

Last edited:
stoned said:
didn't you say that before?

stoned said:
Smurf said:
didn't you say that before?
What do you expect? He's stoned. :rofl:

infidel said:
What do you expect? He's stoned. :rofl:

I did ? sorry about it. :redface:
anyway, I'm so afraid of dying :cry: can't stop thinking about death.

Last edited:
If I was in the conclave I would have written in Father Guido Sarducci. Imagine him as pope...

do you guys know that Bush family were in business with Hitler just up to the war, General Motors also and countless other big names not to mention American Banks.
how about this, Arnold Schwarzenneger was more involved with nazis than Ratzinger, and I did not hear much criticizm of Arnold.

Bladibla said:
So God will get us back will he? Not the most caring of things is he?

And even if god exists, i can be sure we can just ignore 'it'. I mean, what kind of God gives tsunamis to its creation?

Well, He got Authority above His creation. I do agree if he want to destruct all His universe, which He made by Himself, no one can stop Him. However, we are lucky that He is Murciful. According to the informations i knew, God created life and death to test us humans who will be doing good deeds, we are not here forever, Life is just an Exam, not the final destination. Being thankful and pateint won't hurt, resist disasters is great, stop curroption is great too.

Chilling out required,

P.S: I guess if God want by one stone to get more than one bird [aka 'punish' some ppl in this life, and 'test' other people how will they react buy to the same event, even they don't 'deserve' this issue by their deeds] is not a bad thing.

I got an idea, how about you give the new pope a go, and if he sucks, then you can complain about him. I didn't even knew who this ratzinger guy was before JPII died, and I'm catholic. Also, he didn't have a choice to be in the nazi millitary or hitler youth, but he did defect from whatever he was in, risking his life. Do not be a sheep and believe whatever CNN or BBC or whatever. Do some thinking, and look for facts from a few different places before coming up with an opinion. Sheep follow whoever is out front, and if the guy outfront jumps off a cliff, they will too, because they follow blindly.

Fibonacci

1 said:
i'm catholic.

1 said:
Sheep follow whoever is out front, and if the guy outfront jumps off a cliff, they will too, because they follow blindly.

Aren't we being a little hypocritical

cronxeh said:
Aren't we being a little hypocritical
You. my friend (if i assume "i'm catholic" and "don't be a sheep" is what you see as hypocrytical) are putting words in my mouth. First, i used the phrase "i'm catholic" when discribing what i knew about ratzinger, not being a sheep. and i am not being a sheep, if i thought he sucked, i would tell you so, not pretend to like him because he i am catholic. You could call me a hypocryt if i was pretending to like him, just because he was the pope. You are just running out of things to use in defence of your arguement, and are taking cheep shots to make me look like a stupid bum, just like you did in the other thread about the former pope. You, my friend, are stupid and do not really know anything at all, except that you want the church to die, which would happen quicker if there was a left pope. WHat happened after Vatican II? Lots of people left the church because many in the church, especially european catholics, do not like liberalism in the church. They like tradition, not new fads. Liberalism is killing the church, not helping it, and you are one of the following: too foolish to realize that or you know well that that's what would happen and want it to happen.

Fibonacci

im an Atheist.

I think this is a wonderful story:
http://www.theonion.com/news/index.php?issue=4116

Last edited by a moderator:
Clausius2 said:
Don't forget there are others religions which have less consideration toward women than it has the catholic church.

I hope this time you are not saying this because of me. :tongue2:

and hope not becuase of me too :wink:

Well, just a question of curiosity, I guess Catholic Church is not a religion, its an institute run a religion [well, from my side i see Catholisicm as a sect of Christianity, not as a 'separate' religion, and other sects as other religions ...etc] is that true?

I guess Monique point is abuot giving women more rights in the insistute, since if they thing the religion opress them , then another actions shuold be taken. An example in my mind is what i saw while i was in the middle east from some Muslims Imams in the villages who sometimes opress the women, by mistakenyl mixing religion by tradition, while the elite scholars of muslims are totally against it. Women equality with men are so obvuis issue and no need to discuess it. However, equality never means sameness [u know, i can't be pregnant! but its fair i guess that males can never be mothers since we can be fathers :approve: ]

An important point to mention though, I DO THINK that some actions in religion are done in a certain way, so it shows loyality to God, e.g. Why Christians go on Sundays, and not Tuesdays to church? And it is just becuase the believe they should do so. One can argue the same, that some religion functional actions should be done by men leading the process [e.g. mass, ceremony...etc] and i don't find any problem with that. Since its not opressing against any Gender.

Catholic church does not opress women ! if you want to see opression of women look at other two big religions, judaism and islam.
Oh ! by the way Ratzinger (NAZI) was a concentration camp guard and was a viscious killer, he killed hundreds of innocent babies and ate them OKAY! who told me that ? I been watchin' Fox TV.

cronxeh said:
im an Atheist.

I would have never guessed...

Sorry. Need to think more before posting.

Last edited:
I got an idea, how about you give the new pope a go, and if he sucks, then you can complain about him.

Amen to that.

I'm agnostic myself. I used to be atheist, but I realized that's not much different from being religious.

My first complaint is he doesn't know to speak Spanish!

It is incredible that a Pope doesn't know to speak in the language of 400 million of catholics, and the language of the nation who most defended and expanded catholicism in Middle Age. I am astonished.