• Bug
  • Thread starter JaredJames
  • Start date
In summary, there have been several instances where posts do not appear immediately and only show up a few hours later. This has caused confusion and inconvenience, especially when someone directly replies to a user. It is suspected that this may be due to posts triggering an antispam filter and being placed in a moderation queue. In one instance, a user's post was deleted and then reposted, causing confusion for other users. Overall, notifications and post visibility can be inconsistent and unpredictable.
JaredJames
In several threads over the last few days, I have noticed that posts aren't appearing immediately but will 'sneak in' a few hours later.

For example:

1. Thread is running.
2. I'll respond (subscribing me with email updates).
3. Someone will reply - however no notification email is received by me and their post does not show up.
4. Others will reply - notification received, posts displayed.
5. Discussion will continue from there, but I still don't see #3 post.
6. A few hours later (usually early morning) their post will appear in the appropriate place in the thread.

Not a clue what would cause it, for the most part it isn't such a problem but when someone directly replies to me it's getting to be a pain in the ***.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've also had this problem lately. Somebody would reply to me, but I couldn't see the post. At first I thought the user deleted his post, but when I replied to the topic, I would see the post.

I'd something that occurs very rarely though...

Can you give link to the post? (can be in PM)

Could be what is happening is that the post triggers antispam filter and is put in a moderation queue, but it becomes visible when it gets approved (manually) by mentors.

No idea when the notification is sent, I can be off.

I think it was this post: https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3320610&postcount=9
The post only appeared after I made the reply (post 12). As you see, I usually use "quote" to reply, but here I couldn't because I couldn't see the post.

The thing might be that the user edited his post afterwards...
I'll let it know if it ever happens again.

Hmm, it's been a while.

The only one I definitely remember (although there are a few) is from this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=497753

I replied to DanP with post #10
He made post #11, but it didn't appear for me until much later on (a number of hours after the last post, it is what spurred me to make this thread).

That one isn't a problem one because I'd already left the thread and had no intention of coming back. However, when it happens in a thread I wish to continue participation, it can be a bit annoying when a reply (to me) appears from nowhere once the discussion has continued perhaps past that point and I thought there was no more responses to deal with.

micromass said:
The thing might be that the user edited his post afterwards...

OP posted, deleted, then posted again. It all happened in about 4 minutes (together with your answer and some other posts).

Most likely when you came first post was already deleted, you tried to answer, before you submitted your answer new post was already in place.

Good timing.

JaredJames said:
I replied to DanP with post #10
He made post #11, but it didn't appear for me until much later on (a number of hours after the last post, it is what spurred me to make this thread).

No idea, nothing obvious just from looking at the thread.

Borek said:
OP posted, deleted, then posted again. It all happened in about 4 minutes (together with your answer and some other posts).

Most likely when you came first post was already deleted, you tried to answer, before you submitted your answer new post was already in place.

Good timing.

Aha, that explains a lot! :smile: Thank you!

I posted this reply:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3318271&postcount=26

after I had not received notifications of the last 2 replies of the OP.
The second reply of the OP was intended to bump me!
I happened to see he had posted in the forum overview, and I replied with the reply given.
After that I received normal notifications again.

Before I replied I checked whether I was still subscribed, and I was, as well in pop-up of the "thread-tools" as in the "list of subscriptions".

I was wondering at the time what might have triggered it.
I do remember that I had subscriptions on 2 identical threads (double-posted) of which one was cleaned up. No way to know if this mattered of course.

Notifications are known to follow their own paths, some people complain they are not getting notifications at all (including at least one Mentor).

Borek said:
Notifications are known to follow their own paths, some people complain they are not getting notifications at all (including at least one Mentor).

Thanks for the feedback!
For now I'm happy to say it's the only time it happened.

Notification failure I can live with, but posts not showing is a bit worrying.

1. Why are my new posts not appearing on my account?

There could be several reasons for new posts not appearing on your account. One possibility is that the posts are being filtered out by the platform's algorithm or moderation system. Another possibility is that there is a technical issue with the platform or your device. It is also possible that the posts are not actually being published, and are only saved as drafts.

2. How can I fix this issue so that my posts appear on my account?

If your posts are being filtered out, you can try adjusting your privacy or content settings to ensure your posts meet the platform's guidelines. If there is a technical issue, try logging out and logging back in, or restarting your device. If your posts are only saved as drafts, make sure to publish them properly. If the issue persists, you can contact the platform's customer support for further assistance.

3. Why am I not receiving any notifications for new posts?

The most common reason for not receiving notifications for new posts is that you have disabled notifications for the platform or for that specific type of activity. Check your notification settings and make sure that they are turned on for the platform and activity you want to be notified about. It is also possible that the platform is experiencing technical issues with their notification system.

4. How can I ensure that I receive notifications for new posts?

To ensure that you receive notifications for new posts, make sure that your notification settings are turned on for the platform and activity you want to be notified about. You can also try adjusting your notification preferences, such as choosing to receive notifications via email or push notifications. If the issue persists, you can contact the platform's customer support for further assistance.

5. What should I do if my posts are still not appearing or I am not receiving notifications?

If none of the above solutions work, you can try clearing your browser or app cache, or using a different device to access the platform. You can also check the platform's community forums or social media pages to see if other users are experiencing similar issues. If the issue continues, you can report it to the platform's customer support for further investigation.