New pressure of a gas when the volume changes at const Temperature

D2 is the volume in the bottle. The question was about finding the pressure at a constant temperature using the given equation. In summary, the conversation was about a question that involved finding the pressure at constant temperature using a given equation. There may have been a typo in the question regarding the volume in the pump chamber, which could have affected the given answer. The person asking for help is grateful for the assistance in finding the error.
mrcotton

Homework Statement

pumpQ_zpsfbc48895.jpg

Homework Equations

At constant temperature
then P1V1=P2V2

The Attempt at a Solution

This is my attempt at the solution
pumpA_zpscb71ca03.jpg

however the mark scheme says

pumpMS_zps50532314.jpg

Any help appreciated?
I just can't see what I am not seeing?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think there is a typo in the question. The volume in the bottle is much greater than the volume in the pump chamber in this diagram. I suspect that the questioner intended the volume of space in the pump chamber to be 6.5 x 10-5 m3 (.065 l). If that were the case, the given answer is correct.

AM

Andrew your a star, I would never have seen that.
Thanks again for your help
D

1. What is the relationship between pressure and volume when temperature is constant?

According to Boyle's Law, pressure and volume have an inverse relationship when temperature is held constant. This means that as the volume of a gas decreases, the pressure increases, and vice versa.

2. How does changing the volume of a gas affect its pressure at constant temperature?

If the volume of a gas is increased at a constant temperature, the pressure will decrease. Similarly, if the volume is decreased, the pressure will increase.

3. Can the pressure of a gas change if the volume remains constant?

No, if the volume of a gas is held constant, the pressure cannot change. This is because the gas molecules are not able to move or expand to create more or less pressure.

4. How does the pressure of a gas change when the volume is doubled?

If the volume of a gas is doubled at a constant temperature, the pressure will be halved. This is because the same number of gas molecules are now occupying a larger space, resulting in a decrease in pressure.

5. Why does the pressure of a gas increase as its volume decreases at constant temperature?

When the volume of a gas decreases, the same amount of gas molecules are now occupying a smaller space. This leads to more frequent collisions between molecules and the walls of the container, resulting in an increase in pressure.