How to Calculate Acceleration for a Stopping Sports Car

• Thread starter thschica
  • Start date
In summary, the sports car advertised has a deceleration of -0.711 m/s2 or -0.073 g's when stopping from a speed of 85 km/h to 0 in a distance of 55 m. This information can be found using the kinematics equation v^2 - u^2 = 2as, where v_f = 0 m/s, v_i = 23.611 m/s, and d = 55 m.
thschica
A sports car is advertised to be able to stop in a distance of 55 m from a speed of 85 km/h.
(a) What is its acceleration in m/s2?

(b) How many g's is this (g = 9.80 m/s2)?

I am confused as to how you would find the acceleration.Iwould be able to put it into g's but i don't understand how to get the acceleration!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the equation:
[tex]v_f ^ 2 = v_i ^ 2 + 2ad[/tex]?
It's used to solve for a when v_i, v_f, and d is known.
Viet Dao,

would v_i =23.6 m/s,v_f=55m,and d=0

thschica said:

No. Where do you get that 23.6 ms^-1 from? v_f is also a speed, so it isn't a distance. Also, why did you put d = 0?

I have no idea what to do in this problem.I divided 85km/h to get it into m/s.

thschica said:

[tex] v_f = 0[/tex] m/s
[tex] v_i = 23.611[/tex] m/s
[tex]d = 55[/tex] m

Use the basic kinematics equation
[itex]v^2 - u^2 = 2as[/itex]

For your second part , divide your answer by g , that will give you the reqd. number.

Donot forget to convert km/hr to m/sec.

Regards
BJ

Thank you!I understand what I did!Is the answer a negative number?

thschica said:
Thank you!I understand what I did!Is the answer a negative number?

Yes, indeed. The velocity has decreased down to zero which means that the acceleration must be negative. A negative acceleration is also called deceleration/retardation.

1. What is the first step in solving a new problem?

The first step in solving any new problem is to carefully read and understand the problem statement. This will help identify any key information or variables and give an overall understanding of the problem.

2. How do I break down a complex problem into smaller, more manageable parts?

One approach to breaking down a complex problem is to create a flowchart or diagram to visually represent the problem and its components. This can help identify any patterns or relationships between different parts of the problem.

3. What are some effective problem-solving strategies?

Some effective problem-solving strategies include brainstorming, trial and error, and breaking down the problem into smaller parts. It can also be helpful to seek input or advice from others or to approach the problem from a different perspective.

4. How do I know if I have found the best solution to a problem?

The best solution to a problem will depend on various factors, such as the resources available and the desired outcome. It is important to evaluate potential solutions based on their feasibility, effectiveness, and any potential drawbacks before deciding on the best course of action.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

Practicing problem-solving on a regular basis can help improve your skills. Additionally, seeking feedback from others and reflecting on your problem-solving process can help identify areas for improvement. It can also be helpful to approach problems with a positive and open mindset, and to be willing to try new approaches or strategies.